Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1106 1107 [1108] 1109 1110 ... 1844

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 899444 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #16605 on: January 23, 2021, 10:57:21 AM »

Kings make some bad/weird mistakes.

Mid 2Q they start playing zone which has worked vs. NYK for some opponents.
They do a fine job two possessions.  Then the Knix next trip around 4:20 left sees 2 and maybe 3 Kings guarding no one.  Everyone looks confused.  Randle unguarded dribbles to the FT line, Bagley comes towards him and Mitch is completely open under the rim.  Knix didn't have to do anything to just walk into a dunk.
I realize many teams don't practice zone much, but that was abysmal.

With 1:36 left in the half, Elf tosses Mitch an alleyoop.  Fox goes to inbound but not one King is in the backcourt.  Uh ...  Barnes sprints back but Elf sees him coming from a long way off and leaves Fox to guard him.  So Holmes has to sprint backcourt to get the inbounds.

End of the game, twice in the last 2 minutes, up by around 10, the Kings foul a Knick Big as he's ramming in a O-board.  Just let the NYK get the 2, but dumb to give up 3-pt ops (as it was Randle and then Mitch missed the FT's).

I'm not sure of that coaching or players mentality or both, but seems Kings have been prone to spacing out for the past few years.  I think Bags and Hield are often culprits, but Barnes could play with more fire.  And Fox needs to take over and up the energy when things are slipping.  Some issues concerning leadership, energy, focus and smarts.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 11:57:49 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: TyH
« Reply #16606 on: January 23, 2021, 11:52:27 AM »

TyH looked great.  My only question on him is how high is his ceiling.  Is his game (polished as it is) close to his ceiling already?  OR is he a Curry in the making?

This question may come back to haunt us.

You gave that question thought?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16607 on: January 23, 2021, 12:01:48 PM »

No KD tonight
Harden and Kyrie get 20 in the first quarter
heh

And Nets lost by 12, getting smoked in the 3Q, giving up 37 Pts.
How do they function without KD who is their backup C and DeAndretheGiant too creaky for huge minutes.  They need to add a player or two via buyouts or Deleagured fellas or guys who can't play overseas because of the pandemic.
look into Alex Len, a Big who was just waived.  If he's healthy.  He can spot in 15 mins a night at C.

Its a minutes thing for Nets - KD behind Jordan works out fine - when they are whole.

Of course there is a risk when KD or Jordan misses the game

Perry/Ckaxton need to step up.  No use replacing them with Len.

A deal for a better guy?  Sure.

Keep your eyes on the Cavaliers.  By trade deadline, is McGee available?  Already appears Drummond would be.

chipstern

• View Profile
And The SMUG Kiid Douchebaggery Award
« Reply #16608 on: January 23, 2021, 02:13:49 PM »

The thing Thibs should do though in the not too distant future is swap Burks for Bullock in terms of starting and coming off the bench.

Thibs wants the D among the starters.  Reg Bull is a solid player on both ends
(though he really can't put the ball on the floor at all for a wing).
Everyone's superhero Burks thudded back to earth.

TyH and Holmes combined for 10 blocks!
SacKings only had 6 turnovers.

I only caught the last few minutes.
But TyH can play.  Post-game he admitted to a little extra motivation v. NYK due to the way draft night went down.

SAC actually has good unbiased informative announcers in Mark Jones and Doug Christie.  They thought a key to the endgame was Luke switching Bagley on to RJB and Hairy Barnes on Randle.

Knix shot only 5-22 on 3's, with RJB making both of his.  Non-RJB Knix 3-19.
Looks like a tired game -- and of course Knick starters have been playing major mins.

You know what? 

If your goal is to compete with Kiid for the SMUG DOUCHEBAGGERY AWARD, we may have to retire your number. 

Burks is out for close to a month with a really bad ankle sprain, two games back, yet to get into rhythm, and to you, this validates your elevated opinion, being so much smarter than the rest of us. 

SEE, I TOLD YOU HE SUCKS. 

You are really rather full of yourself, are you not. 

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
« Reply #16609 on: January 23, 2021, 02:22:52 PM »

TyH looked great.  My only question on him is how high is his ceiling.  Is his game (polished as it is) close to his ceiling already?  OR is he a Curry in the making?

Yes, Chamaco. Ever since Knicks management chose to go with ObiT.

And how about you?
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16610 on: January 23, 2021, 03:24:08 PM »

Watching Obi get a little better and a little better as we go, I don’t think about it much at all.

I’m still ahead on my record pace, based on my prediction.

Player movement within half court sets is the key variable on how successful we’ll be night to night.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16611 on: January 23, 2021, 05:48:39 PM »

And how about you?

Do I think Haliburton can be Steph Curry?

No.  I do not.

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
« Reply #16612 on: January 23, 2021, 10:03:22 PM »

And how about you?

Do I think Haliburton can be Steph Curry?

No.  I do not.

Ok, Chamaco, good for you.

But,... "You gave that question thought?", that was your original question.

Thanks.
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #16613 on: January 23, 2021, 11:11:47 PM »

I think folks have gotten overly excited about one or two or three game samples.
Noel had a terrific game or two pre-season and everyone seem to anoint him the starting C and a key guy.
Burks had a 3 game scoring outburst and he was touted as a great addition.  He's a journeyman who could be helpful if healthy.
Hell, Ellington shot 6-7 on 3's yesterday for DET. 
I think career accomplishment and trajectory is more significant and indicative of a players worth.  Also fit with this team.
Rivers had two games where he looked like an all-star then slumped off -- in keeping with his erratic career.

Anyway, we'll see how things pan out.  I still think Bullox is the best of our 3 vet SG's because he plays D is solid on both ends, doesn't need the ball,
and is capable of playing SF (just don't let him dribble).  Seemingly Thibs agrees.  While Rivers is useful because he can help move the ball and share ballhandling duties, is aggressive and can get hot.
Which imo leaves Burks as the 3rd guy (and then there's the ghost of Franc).  Burks is more of a one-on-one scorer and doesn't have the D of Reg or the ballhandling of Rivers.
If Burks can score and play team ball enough without turnovers that gives Thibs more options.

Of course, Bollocks, Rivers, Burks (and Franc) are all prone to minor injuries and missing time.  So having extra bodies is useful. 
Bullox not that likely to rip off scoring jags, but is a more steady team-oriented feller.  One thing notable, especially with Quickly's emergence, is how little
we miss Franc.  Not that he couldn't have a role.  But Franc and Jr. Smith are in limbo.                                                           
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #16614 on: January 23, 2021, 11:25:21 PM »

The way Thibs has Knix guarding PnR's has Randle(/Mitch) coming into the paint on help D, everybody sagging to the paint to clog up drives, and then either RJB or RegBull responsible for scrambling out to weak side 3-point shooters.  If you put Burks in the starting lineup, then that would be his defensive assignment, and he's never shown much defensive acumen.  It requires a quick decision and reaction.  And good closeout technique.  I assume Thibs is fairly pleased with how well the Knick halfcourt D is so far and isn't going to change it.  Thibs cares more about solid D than solid 3's.

Knix have to work on transition D which has been awful this season.  But the past 2 games have had few turnovers, so that hasn't been exposed.  Which is good because Fox, TyH and Barnes are terrific on the break, as is SCurvy.

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #16615 on: January 24, 2021, 01:25:19 AM »

Porzingis missed another game.  I guess he isn't playing back to backs.  Dallas is 3-3 with him shooting a career low 33% from 3.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Provenance
« Reply #16616 on: January 24, 2021, 01:43:48 AM »

In 2018 the Sixers drafted Khryi Thomas (SG Creighton) No. 38 overall.  The Pistons sent two future second-round picks  (2021, 2013) to secure Thomas' draft rights.

Later that season before the trade deadline the 76'ers sent the second round picks they acquired from Detroit  to the Clippers along with a cast of other players (Shamet, Chandler, Muscala) and two 1st rounders for Tobias Harris.

A year to the day later the Clippers acquired Marcus Morris from the Knicks for Moe Harkless, a 2021 first round pick (later traded for Immanuel Quickley and a 2023 second round pick), the rights to Yussuf Sannon (later traded for Austin Rivers) and the 2021 second round pick that was originally the Pistons pick.

If the season ended today that pick would be the first pick of the 2nd round giving the Knicks 3 of the first 31 picks.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 01:45:31 AM by Kam »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #16617 on: January 24, 2021, 03:04:48 AM »

Porzingis missed another game.  I guess he isn't playing back to backs.  Dallas is 3-3 with him shooting a career low 33% from 3.

KZ played a B2B set last week.  But this was the 5th game in 7 days.
6-13 on 3's his last 3 outings.  An 0-7 stinker sunk his %, especially since he's only played 6 games so far.  12-29 = 41% on 3's in the other 5 games.

KZ recently had a 12-15 FG game v. IND.  Miles Turner was out.  And I assumed KZ was lights out.  But then I watched some of the game, and he had 4 or 5 oops from Luka, and at least 3 O-board putbacks.  So it was all dunks and layups.  His one made trey (1-3) was a straightaway completely wide open shot.

Also worrisome was that Luka seemed to hurt his knee a few times in the IND game, was limping around some but walked it off each time.  Can't take Luka's health and durability for granted.  But lots of guys are out.

Dallas has been without Dorian Finney-Smith, Maxi Kleber, Dwight Powell and Josh Richardson because of COVID-19 protocols.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #16618 on: January 24, 2021, 04:05:00 AM »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #16619 on: January 24, 2021, 07:54:21 AM »

Perry/Claxton need to step up.  No use replacing them with Len.

4Q v. MIA Nets were using Jeff Green at C.
Of course, Heat were playing Bam (40 Pts) at C.

No way Nets rely on Claxton or Perry in key games or the playoffs.

Wiz added both Len and Jordan Bell.  Nice pickups.
Though they should just play Moe Wagner more.

Nets could use some beef to battle Embiid, keep Tristan off the glass, deal with MyTurn, Lopez, maybe Capela in a 1st round matchup.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 1106 1107 [1108] 1109 1110 ... 1844