Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 736 737 [738] 739 740 ... 1844

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 899613 times)

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #11055 on: February 10, 2020, 12:50:26 PM »

Dude was a beast yesterday.
Then reverted to some of those bad habits at end.
Ok. Work to do. That's on coach —— big boy bringing the ball up and just deciding what to do is one of the last lingering bad flavors of the Cheezdale era.

We should've won that game. Elf wasn't controlling or seeing the floor well at the end.  No one could stop Trae from Traying. (well, Julius did once, quite nicely) Frank should have been in there at least from the point we took the 8 pt lead in OT 1. Was locking down the perimeter in his long stint, but coach had the guys he currently trusts in there and thought he could win with and that's fine.

I like this coach. He tries not to give meaningless minutes. No rotations are set in stone, and I think anybody who checks in has a chance to stay in the game if their play merits more. In general, Kevin Knox excepted, minutes are earned and subs and end game roles are used in pursuit of victories.

I could be wrong, but I suspect part of the reason we haven't seen Moe Harkless yet is that once he starts getting minutes, how can you possibly justify giving Knox anything? Apparently there are buyout possibilities here. Personally, would much rather keep him.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 01:00:33 PM by lesterluv »
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #11056 on: February 10, 2020, 12:56:35 PM »

Deadman hoisted a handful of treys.

Randle seems to fade in the 4Q some games.   Which we can't afford with MaMo gone.  Maybe have to keep his minutrsin check.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #11057 on: February 10, 2020, 01:44:57 PM »

Collison not returning to NBA.   Lakes reportedly thinking of working out J Earl Smith and Dion Waiters (waived by Memf,  who probably didn't want him anywhere near JaMorant).

I was wondering how MoHark might affect Knox's playing time.  But with Morris gone there should be available minutes.

Saw some article where Portis was swearing up and down that he wouldn't take a buyout. 
Fairly obvious we won't be picking up his $15M option next year. He's probably worth half that.

Guys waived or bought out and waived by March 1 can still play in the postseason.  Give MoHark a look to see if we might want him back next year.   He's from NY and wants to be a Knick. Let Knox battle Mo Hark in practice.

I'd keep everyone.   But I'd prefer MoHark to Portis.  But different players.   Keep both.

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11058 on: February 10, 2020, 01:46:34 PM »

I hope Rose is smart enough to realize what he has in Mike Miller.

Dedmon’s blocks and boards were more impactful than his outside shot. Dedmon and Capela make a nice defensive center rotation that will make the Hawks perimeter guys that much more effective.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11059 on: February 10, 2020, 02:40:23 PM »

I could be wrong, but I suspect part of the reason we haven't seen Moe Harkless yet is that once he starts getting minutes, how can you possibly justify giving Knox anything? Apparently there are buyout possibilities here. Personally, would much rather keep him.

Mo was sick last night

But there were murmurs about buyouts with multiple players

Matter of fact supposedly this is why we didnt take Kabungele and Mann from Clippers - we didnt want to have to immediately waive 2 players

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11060 on: February 10, 2020, 04:05:03 PM »

Fairly obvious we won't be picking up (Portis) $15M option next year. He's probably worth half that.

Heh.

Dollars in the NBA are situational

What will NY do with the 15 mil they save?

If nobody else gives BP that much - doesnt mean Knicks PASS was wise.

What will the teams with all the cap space offer for a Portis, given their needs (see Knicks and their needs for current seasson - where BP GOT his 15) and which other players are vying for that loot ?

More teams going smaller - but BP has shown a pretty good perimeter game.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 04:30:33 PM by kiidcarter8 »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #11061 on: February 10, 2020, 04:56:13 PM »

Portis plays poor D and is Mr.  Inconsistent.   Shows up every 3rd game or so.

He does have talent, and is young but needs to improve his focus. If Knicks want to keep him,  could let him brcome a FA and see what his market value is.   3/$25M sounds right to me.   3/$30M on the high end.  That is, keep him at the right price. Don't worry if you lose him.

I assume he accepted a team option Y2 since we were overpaying.

I think Portis has been entirely okay.   Can he get his head together and be more consistent? Is he just a tease?   $15M is starter money,  not what you pay a replacement level bench guy.

Maybe Knicks should give Portis a week plus of starts and see how it goes.  But the Randle-Portis combo is likely to be a disaster on D.   Even as Randle's effort on D has improved.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11062 on: February 10, 2020, 05:03:20 PM »

Portis plays poor D and is Mr.  Inconsistent.   Shows up every 3rd game or so.

You're stuck on that

70% of the league plays what you consider poor defense - and most show less consistency than Bobby

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11063 on: February 10, 2020, 05:17:51 PM »

Portis had interest from about a DOZEN teams last summer, including title contenders.  He has done little at age 24 to change this.  Of course the capped out (read:  good) teams often have less $$ to offer.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #11064 on: February 10, 2020, 05:34:05 PM »

It’s time to roll in some Tony Wooten along with Harkless. It’s time for a little more variety at the forward spots.

We’ll have Bird rights to Harkless. I think we may also have them for Dotson since his rookie deal ran 3 years.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #11065 on: February 10, 2020, 05:38:50 PM »

And 70% of the league consists of backups who aren't worth $15M.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #11066 on: February 10, 2020, 05:56:54 PM »

But really that's a BS way of reframing the debate.   At $15M you need to be a key rotation player.   7th man or better.  Which eliminates 54% of the league.

Compare Portis to the Top 210 or 240 players.

By definition 70% of the league doesn't play below average defense.   Portis does.

For his age and experience level,  the inconsistency is worrisome.   Some guys catch on later than others.   But some never do.

Bottom Line: does anyone project Portis as a starter in the next 2 or 3 years?
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #11067 on: February 10, 2020, 06:12:14 PM »

I’d rather have Jules and Bobby together than to be stuck with Blake or Love for the same range as both Portis and Randle together.

Bobby just turned 25. He has a nice base of skills and ability along with a lot of room to improve.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #11068 on: February 10, 2020, 06:46:50 PM »

Those OT periods were crazy.   Elf ran out of gas and ideas.

The ATL announcers are pretty good.   They dawned over Mitch (gonna love Capella),  lamented Elf's management.

First I've seen more than a cameo from Hunter.   Looked good against us.  Coacj kept him out there a ton.  I've thought since last year Collins can be a future all star.  Tough kid with skills.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

chipstern

• View Profile
« Reply #11069 on: February 10, 2020, 06:50:58 PM »

It’s time to roll in some Tony Wooten along with Harkless. It’s time for a little more variety at the forward spots.

We’ll have Bird rights to Harkless. I think we may also have them for Dotson since his rookie deal ran 3 years.

Miller indicated that Knicks thought it more persuasive for Wooten to play major minutes and keep evolving his game, than sit on the pine in anticipation of garbage time. 
Pages: 1 ... 736 737 [738] 739 740 ... 1844