Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 23, 2018, 06:17:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Who should be cut?
Jack - 0 (0%)
Sessions - 11 (52.4%)
Noah - 4 (19%)
Kuz - 1 (4.8%)
Beasley - 4 (19%)
Dotson - 1 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: 1 ... 991 992 [993] 994 995 ... 1185
  Print  
Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 121800 times)
Jack Straw

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14880 on: June 20, 2008, 09:59:07 AM »

KBY - and what a great color orange it is.  Tonight a big game for the Turks and I would love to see them advance while I'm here.

Biz - right now I'm working on an archaeological site in the Hatay - Tell Tayinat near the Syrian border.  Istanbul is indeed a great city - and I love the entire country as well.  Great place to travel, relax, and feel both in and not in Europe...

I await tomorrow morning with both fear and trepidation, I will see what went down with the draft when I log on in the morning.  I'm hoping for Westbrook...
nagel100
Superhero Member

I want Westbrook!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14881 on: June 20, 2008, 10:22:51 AM »

for the D.J fans

"As the Trail Blazers continued to ponder their offseason options, field calls regarding potential trades and debate whether to unload the No. 13 pick in the NBA draft, they were presented with another enticing possibility Wednesday morning.

And it came in the form of a smooth, playmaking 6-foot point guard from Texas.

In a performance that wowed coach Nate McMillan and further enhanced his draft stock, sophomore D.J. Augustin delivered perhaps the most impressive showing during more than two weeks of predraft workouts at the Blazers' practice facility.

McMillan and general manager Kevin Pritchard have been guarded in their public critiques of predraft visitors, and they remained so Wednesday. But it was clear the player who won the Bob Cousy Award, given to college basketball's best point guard, made a favorable impression -- even though the Blazers might have to trade up to draft him.

"I think this kid is born to be a point guard," Pritchard said.

thebizneverloses
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14882 on: June 20, 2008, 10:23:55 AM »

Merhaba jpdtez,

Two of my favourite places outside Istanbul are Cappadochia and Pamukale (which has changed since I was there ten years ago but is apparently still stunning). I highly recommend finding a way to see those places if you can!

I never got to head as far East as you have been, unfortunately. Your work must be fascianting, by the way.

There is a Turkish centre in the draft that I think has decent NBA potential - Omar Asik. If he slips to the 2nd round, I really hope the Knicks pick him up. Draft is next Thursday.

p.s. Go Turkiye!

nagel100
Superhero Member

I want Westbrook!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14883 on: June 20, 2008, 10:25:03 AM »

At #6, the Knicks could go a variety of ways.  Danilo Gallinari fits new head coach Mike D'Antoni's playing style, but the small forward position isn't the most immediate need.  Priority should go to a guard that can lead D'Antoni's offense and bring all the talent and egos on the roster together.  The Knicks have not had a pass-first PG since Charlie Ward and at #6, the Knicks should address the PG position.  Russell Westbrook is still learning the position, but is a great athlete and a lock-down defender.  D.J. Augustin, on the other hand, is not the athlete, nor does he have the size Westbrook does, but Augustin is a true playmaker. If Bayless were to fall, he would almost certainly be the pick here. Coach D'Antoni figures to be around at least a few years, so developing Russell Westbrook into one of the premier defenders in the league, as well as a budding offensive threat seems viable. New York Knicks
Picks: #6
thebizneverloses
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14884 on: June 20, 2008, 10:31:05 AM »

for the D.J fans

"As the Trail Blazers continued to ponder their offseason options, field calls regarding potential trades and debate whether to unload the No. 13 pick in the NBA draft, they were presented with another enticing possibility Wednesday morning.

And it came in the form of a smooth, playmaking 6-foot point guard from Texas.

In a performance that wowed coach Nate McMillan and further enhanced his draft stock, sophomore D.J. Augustin delivered perhaps the most impressive showing during more than two weeks of predraft workouts at the Blazers' practice facility.

McMillan and general manager Kevin Pritchard have been guarded in their public critiques of predraft visitors, and they remained so Wednesday. But it was clear the player who won the Bob Cousy Award, given to college basketball's best point guard, made a favorable impression -- even though the Blazers might have to trade up to draft him.

"I think this kid is born to be a point guard," Pritchard said.

Well, Augustin is not lasting to the 13th pick. Portland has lots of 2nd round picks to try to move up...but I don't think the 13th and a couple of their 2nds is worth the 6th pick.

But what if they are willing to take Jeffries of our hands? Would Lafrentz, the 13th pick and two 2nd rounders = Jeffries, Malik and the 6th pick?

I think most would advise against, since the desire here is to give the team the best possible chance at drafting a star. But I'm guessing Nagel at least would consider it.
Jack Straw

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14885 on: June 20, 2008, 10:31:50 AM »

Hey biz,
I had it stuck in my head the draft was the 20th - must be the sun.  Cappadocia is indeed fabulous - I was first there in 1985 and even though it is now a hot upscale destination it never ceases to thrill.  I had my whole family over and they loved it.  Have still not yet been to Pamukale - a must see I know.  Archaeology is more hot and tedious than anything else, but it's what I do.  Today is was in the mid 90's and we fried.  
KBY

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14886 on: June 20, 2008, 11:15:07 AM »

just watch the countdown over on http://www.nbadraft.net/

Like all dreamers I confuse disenchantment with truth
godot

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14887 on: June 20, 2008, 11:21:37 AM »

I really like Westbrook.  But, I'm suspicious of all the press he is now getting.  It may be that our brain trust has its eyes on someone else.  My guess is Bayless, or maybe Mayo. 

Any of those three would be great for me.

I remember Augustin in the NCAA's and he looked like he was easy to stop.  Who knows, maybe he was hurting.

I think his defense and his smarts are what makes Westbrook my favorite.
Libertarian

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14888 on: June 20, 2008, 11:27:51 AM »

I can't put much stock in a mock draft which projects Westbrook and Augustin as the 11-12 picks.

Is Kevin Love really going #5?  I've heard the ridiculous Duncan comparisons, total bullshit.

Arkansas center Steven Hill worked out for the Knicks last Wednesday.  The former SEC defensive player of the year would be a worthy risk to take, as an undrafted free agent.  He'll certainly be the best remaining shotblocker on the market.  I say we roll the dice on this kid.  I watched him play several games for the Hogs over the past few years, and the guy runs the floor with the best of them.  He was the recipient of  several alley-oops his junior season.  Could be a nice fit in D'Antoni's gameplan.
nagel100
Superhero Member

I want Westbrook!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14889 on: June 20, 2008, 11:29:41 AM »

biz

i would consider that deal since cap reduction is very important.

I'd like to package the 2 second round picks and 3 million to get another pick in the 20's.
theng

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14890 on: June 20, 2008, 11:33:09 AM »

I really like Westbrook.  But, I'm suspicious of all the press he is now getting.  It may be that our brain trust has its eyes on someone else.  My guess is Bayless, or maybe Mayo. 

Any of those three would be great for me.

I remember Augustin in the NCAA's and he looked like he was easy to stop.  Who knows, maybe he was hurting.

I think his defense and his smarts are what makes Westbrook my favorite.

Don't even think or talk about Mayo or Bayless, they will be long gone at 6th (unless we trade up). The only one in your list that will be available at 6th is Westbrook, a good but 2nd tier talent.
nagel100
Superhero Member

I want Westbrook!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14891 on: June 20, 2008, 11:39:58 AM »

theng

really?

check this out

mayo

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/ojmayo.html

96 points and 9 for athleticism 9 for quickness and 8 potential

Westbrook

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/russellwestbrook.html

95 points  and 10 a for athleticism and 10 quickness and 9 potential

i know it;s just an opinion but I watched a lot of USC and UCLA games here in L.A..

i think they are both elite athletes.
PrezIke

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14892 on: June 20, 2008, 11:51:43 AM »

Whew...

Just got back from a wonderful, enlightening, 3 1/2 week long trip to Paris, Berlin (seriously thinking about moving there), Amsterdam (sorry for not letting you know I was coming KBY), London and Jordan. Too much to say about the trip that would take forever, but let's just say that the overarching themes were that the U.S. has a lot to learn from Europe, much of what we are told about Middle Eastern nations, people and attitudes towards Americans through our corporate run media is highly fabricated as I was treated with great kindness by all classes of people I met throughout my stay in Jordan (not that I would travel to Iraq, although I saw plenty of road signs to the border, but I had more than one person say that I and my mother who has been living in Amman for almost a year now could travel to Syria safely if we wanted), the fascination with Obama was high while abroad, and that if the world wants to really address our prejudices that continue to allow poverty, inequality, addiction to oil, profits at all costs, to exist, etc. it is through human interaction and connections that I can only foresee this happening.

More Americans should travel abroad and really interact with local populations, not just hide in hotels, resorts, and typical tourist attractions where everyone speaks English, and we rarely have to risk the prospect of feeling uncomfortable.

I'm still jet lagged, and as stated earlier, I am seriously considering moving out of the U.S. all together. I was already planning to move out of NYC, perhaps to a place like Austin, but with my music interests and lifestyle choices, I'm not sure that there is any place in this entire country that fits my needs. Berlin sure seemed to fit the bill, as it is essentially a bohemian haven for young people in the EU, who are "illegal immigrants" pursuing music, art, etc. because of the high level of libertarian attitudes that exists and low cost of living. I met more contacts in music in a week than I've met in years living in NYC, who didn't treat me as competition but as collaborators.

As for the Knicks...

I'd be happy with Westbrook who has been one of the players I most liked if we dropped out of the top 5. Randolph is someone of interest, as is Gordon, although I know some think he could be a bust, but I see hard work ethic, physical play and defensive ability
PrezIke

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14893 on: June 20, 2008, 12:00:06 PM »

Oh yeah, and EURO 2008 has been loads of fun, except I haven't seen any Netherlands matches since I was traveling each day they, and that group played.

Yesterday's quarterfinal was really entertaining, and Germany is always dangerous with their very strong front 4.

Curious to see how things pan out today, as Croatia has been on a high thus far. Turkey isn't the best competition, but it should still be a good match.

I see a Deutschland - Nederland final, but the Oranje may have a much more difficult road to get there.

Van Persie is one of my favorite players, but I enjoy some of the German players as well, Schweinsteiger, Plodolski and Ballack.

Spain has some entertaining footballers as well.

Should be fun to see what happens.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14894 on: June 20, 2008, 12:13:09 PM »

I can't put much stock in a mock draft which projects Westbrook and Augustin as the 11-12 picks.

Is Kevin Love really going #5?  I've heard the ridiculous Duncan comparisons, total bullshit.

Arkansas center Steven Hill worked out for the Knicks last Wednesday.  The former SEC defensive player of the year would be a worthy risk to take, as an undrafted free agent.  He'll certainly be the best remaining shotblocker on the market.  I say we roll the dice on this kid.  I watched him play several games for the Hogs over the past few years, and the guy runs the floor with the best of them.  He was the recipient of  several alley-oops his junior season.  Could be a nice fit in D'Antoni's gameplan.

Not sure how many open roster spots we have, Lib.

But if we deal..........................................

Opening up some slots for some fliers makes a lot of sense.

Shame we have no 2.  Sonny Weems is a guy I have taken a liking to as a MICROWAVE type.
Pages: 1 ... 991 992 [993] 994 995 ... 1185
  Print  

Jump to: