Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 23, 2018, 06:39:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Who should be cut?
Jack - 0 (0%)
Sessions - 11 (52.4%)
Noah - 4 (19%)
Kuz - 1 (4.8%)
Beasley - 4 (19%)
Dotson - 1 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: 1 ... 994 995 [996] 997 998 ... 1185
  Print  
Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 121806 times)
yankguy and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
muammar.al-q

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14925 on: June 21, 2008, 02:16:30 PM »

Syria! Jordan! Pissant countries run by pisspot dictators. Come and visit Libya. I will show all forumites a very good time. Promise! Grin

nagel100
Superhero Member

I want Westbrook!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14926 on: June 21, 2008, 02:29:09 PM »

Notes & quotes: The Arizona Republic reported that the Knicks are interested in Suns guard Leandro Barbosa, who thrived in the D'Antoni system and is very close to Dan D'Antoni. The Suns are looking to move up in the draft and are shopping Barbosa and Boris Diaw along with the 15th overall pick, which they received from Atlanta in the Joe Johnson trade in 2005. Barbosa's contract runs through 2012 and averages $7 million per season. Portland reportedly also is interested in Barbosa ... The Knicks have been shopping Zach Randolph but have received very little interest ... Depending on what happens with O.J. Mayo and Jerryd Bayless in the first five spots, the Knicks likely will decide between Indiana's Eric Gordon or Italian star Danilo Gallinari at the No. 6 spot, with UCLA's Russell Westbrook as a sleeper.

Hahn
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14927 on: June 21, 2008, 07:45:41 PM »

Also - how can Herb survive?

OY.
thebizneverloses
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14928 on: June 21, 2008, 08:06:39 PM »

Am I the only one quite annoyed with ABC's NBA coverage?

At least they got rid of Al Michaels, who is not a hoops guy. I like Breen and JVG, but Jax adds very little. Not thrilled with their second team, especially with Marv Albert still out there.

Hate the floating camera coverage.

Can't stand their ridiculous rotation of theme songs (Where the hell is John Tesh when you need him??? Now that was a theme song!).

But most of all, it's the lack of games that gets me. NBC used to give us tripleheaders now and again, and pretty much 2 games a weekend every weekend after the Super Bowl (or was it after Christmas?). And NBC covered every conference final game. ABC only covered the finals (and even then quite late).

ABC's studio crew is better than that of NBC, mainly because Michael Wilbon or Stuart Scott >>>> Hannah Storm or Bob Costas

p.s. for whatever reason, ABC's soccer coverage this weekend was better than anything NBC or Fox has ever managed. It's because of the ESPN connection, but nevertheless, they get soccer right and the NBA so terribly wrong.
tomverve

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14929 on: June 21, 2008, 08:17:15 PM »

Stuart Scott is unwatchable. ugh.

Bob Costas was alright though.

It's a crime NBA history keeps rolling by without Marv narrating it.

Help treat disease with your spare computing power
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
facilitatorn

remember when the knicks were fun?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14930 on: June 21, 2008, 09:44:39 PM »

true dat tom.

Into the shattered ruins stepped the Don
PrezIke

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14931 on: June 21, 2008, 10:04:31 PM »

biz - ABC/ESPN only improved their coverage of EURO '08 this time since they seemed to at least have purged most of the awful American announcers we had to bear in the last World Cup. That main dude called baseball and didn't even understand the game. I mean what a joke that was.

That being said Andy Grey seems to be a bit weak as one of their color guys, and I suspect he was picked out of familiarity to fans who also play the FIFA Soccer video game. He's not exactly that much better.

Crazy game today, btw. Russia played with great fire, and you gotta wonder if the Dutch had a hard time getting up for a game where one of their best players had their daughter die at birth just before the game (I believe). Not something that can help affect mood before a big game, I think.

Of course, the Dutch have a history of choking over the past 7 years, and all of the group stage winners, thus far, who everyone was favoring are now eliminated. Spain's history in this category and Italy's strong tournament record doesn't necessarily mean that these factors are significant in any way, but it might cause some worry for Spanish fans, that's for sure.
PrezIke

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14932 on: June 21, 2008, 10:05:42 PM »

Oh, and I completely agree with the comments on ABC's basketball coverage. ESPN has actually been awful since covering the NBA. ESPN is more about glitz than substance.

TNT's coverage is far superior, as are pretty much all of their announcing teams compared to ESPN/ABC.
bodiddley
Superhero Member

Bring it to Jerome

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14933 on: June 22, 2008, 12:03:50 AM »

The replays generally suck.  They'll show someone dunking 3 or 4 times, but rarely show how the play developed or the screen which freed the dunker.

Doerr @ Draft Express, in a stat-based analysis, thinks Westbrook might be a workout wonder:

Russell Westbrook: 0.7 PAWS/40

As his pre-draft stock rises, Russell Westbrook’s collegiate statistics are set in stone, and markedly average. To this stat-head, Westbrook appears to be one of this year’s workout wonders, relying on freakish physical attributes rather than on the court performance.

While UCLA was good, a Win Scores analysis attributes most of that success to phenom Kevin Love, as noted above.

To become a valuable NBA player, Westbrook will have to learn to channel his athleticism into basketball productivity. In his favor, he’s got youth andremarkable improvement from his prior season, but Win Scores remains skeptical.

And has doubts on Gordon:
Eric Gordon: 0.3 PAWS/40

While Gordon is young and can cite a coaching distraction, his statistics clearly indicate an overrated prospect. Among basketball fans, there seems to be a consensus that Gordon is likely top 7 prospect and certainly lottery worthy. Statistically, there are several worrying signs, including a high volume of turnovers and a low assist-to-turnover ratio. Furthermore, there are signs Gordon feasted on the weak, as he put up a -2.9 PAWS/40 against Ken Pomeroy’s top 100 teams.

By the numbers, teams should steer away from selecting Eric Gordon and save themselves millions of dollars and handfuls of losses.
thebizneverloses
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14934 on: June 22, 2008, 02:37:40 AM »

TomV - My issue with Costas is that he is not a hoops fan. Watch him talk about beisbol and he knows what he's talking about and he does it with passion. When he talked about basketball, it was forced, there was zero insight, and there was no connection with the game. You can tell guys like Breen and Marv and Kevin Harland love the game.

I can understand those who find Scott's schtick gimmicky, but I find most hosts staid. They approach sports as if it were a news-magazine (superficially in terms of substance, and without a connection to those involved), whereas Scott approaches it like my friends do (and I do) - a very fun game enjoyed most when taken incredibly seriously. I find him better on ESPN than on ABC.

PrezIke - This is the first time I've ever watched soccer on anything but BBC coverage. It's a big difference, although Derek Rae is passable (I can't stand Tommy Smith, whom I find more annoying than Andy Gray).

BoD- Gordon's turnovers are indeed an issue and I would forecast that they would remain so next year. But Gordon was the entire offense last year as DJ White struggled to create his own shot. I think he has the tools - physically and mentally - to settle into more of a team role which is why I see him as being successful enough to merit the 6th pick. One other person on the forum voted with me....
KBY

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14935 on: June 22, 2008, 08:20:46 AM »

Ike,

FYI, Speaking of commentary, you do know that they practically synchronize everything in German. So sports, series, movies all synchronized with German language.

As for choking, the history with regards to that is penalties. The Dutch have a history of missing them at crucial times. Russians played with more vigor.

Like all dreamers I confuse disenchantment with truth
nagel100
Superhero Member

I want Westbrook!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14936 on: June 22, 2008, 10:35:16 AM »

musings on a sunday morn in LA LA LAND.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19793355&BRD=1699&PAG=461&dept_id=46370&rfi=6

as we all know a lot will happen in the next 2 years.

thursday is a good time to begin.

"Yet, although this draft apparently features no other point the caliber of Rose, Knicks president Donnie Walsh believes the number of combo guards in it (i.e. Mayo, Arizona's Jerryd Bayless, UCLA's Russell Westbrook, Indiana's Eric Gordon) could yield a player capable of running an NBA offense such as his."

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/nets/20636554.html

"The Suns are considering a trade with the Blazers that would send Leandro Barbosa to Portland for Martell Webster and the 13th pick, according to a report by Chris Broussard on ESPN.com.

GM Steve Kerr is also considering a deal with the Raptors that would ship Boris Diaw to Toronto for T.J. Ford and the 17th pick."

a steal for suns in both deals IMO

"UCLA guard Russell Westbrook has reportedly received a promise from a team selecting high in this Thursday's draft that he will not be on the board when the Pacers pick, according to The Indianapolis Star.

The Pacers have the eleventh pick, and hoped that Westbrook would visit Indiana for a workout on Tuesday. However, he will reportedly not audition for the team because of the rumored "promise"."

Walsh is not giving any guarantees IMO.

Mitch " Deliverance" Lawrence is talking about a Miami?Seattle deal

#2 for Wilcox and #4. 

has to be more since Heat over the cap and can't absord Wilcox with off loading something.

nagel100
Superhero Member

I want Westbrook!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14937 on: June 22, 2008, 10:46:30 AM »

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ian_thomsen/06/19/mock.draft/index.html?eref=T1

si guy
Jack Straw

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14938 on: June 22, 2008, 11:32:11 AM »

KBY - only saw the beginning of the game (up at 4:00 a.m. these days) but the Russians played with more urgency.
thebizneverloses
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14939 on: June 22, 2008, 12:08:13 PM »

Ike,

FYI, Speaking of commentary, you do know that they practically synchronize everything in German. So sports, series, movies all synchronized with German language.

As for choking, the history with regards to that is penalties. The Dutch have a history of missing them at crucial times. Russians played with more vigor.

Lost in penalties in 92, 96, 98 and 00 I believe. Didn't qualify in 04. Lost to Brazil in a classic game in 94 (I one of my favourite games ever). So yeah, heartbreak losses most years. The fact that they were thoroughly outclassed in an elimination game (at least in the extra time) last night is not the way the Dutch usually go out.

Where's Carlos?

BoD - how is the hoops commentary in China? KBY - how is it in le pays bas?
Pages: 1 ... 994 995 [996] 997 998 ... 1185
  Print  

Jump to: