Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 18, 2018, 04:32:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which team will win the Eastern Conference?
Boston Celtics
Detroit Pistons
Chicago Bulls
Miami Heat
Cleveland Cavs
Orlando Magic
Washington Wizards
Other

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30
  Print  
Author Topic: NBA  (Read 7019 times)
steve_hamilton

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2007, 03:47:06 AM »

Still learning how to post on this site.  I think this site is a cross-over from the NYT forum.  The Knicks are gonna be the favorites, even though not in the playings.  The most excitement is going on out west (IMHO opinion).  Yea, the Warriors and Jazz is gonna be a battle.  I live in Utah so I've become a real Jazz fan.  Nellie is really good at the Sandbagging, seems I remember Golden State beating the Jazz when Malone and Stockton were startin out!  May have had Nellie as the coach.

I also love that Suns-Spurs battle going on in the southwest, your gotta love a player like Nash, bloody nose and all.  Ha-I remember playing a CYO game as a teenager when I had my nose smacked like that, it was painful and makes one hell of a mess.  Have you noticed when the game is on the line the good ones crank it up a notch and take-over.  Nash did last night as did Lebron against NJ.  I saw none of that with Dirk Nowinski-I like Dirk but where was he against Golden State. 

I watch the Spurs playing, admitting they are very, very good.  What bothers me is the the calls so often favor them whether Denver (my team), or now the Suns.  Why does Ginobli get 2 or 3 steps per dribble?  How do the Spurs consistently plug the lane making a lay up impossible, and never get called for the fouls they commit?  If the calls were fair, they probably would still win - but this is such a slanted field it's frustrating to watch.

Hey SGROBIN good thing you're just a casual Sixers fan LOL!!
ghg22

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2007, 11:48:33 AM »

This is major bullsh*t. Rules/laws are established to protect the victims. In the Suns/Spurs case, the victim is the one who got punished!!!

Stu Jackson: "It’s not a matter of fairness, it’s a matter of correctness."

What a dimwitted statement. Jackson is an imbecile.

Note: I'm not a Suns fan, but I'm certainly rooting for the Suns now.
ghg22

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 11:52:23 AM »

Does anybody know what address I should use to write to the NBA?
bodiddley
Superhero Member

Bring it to Jerome

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 12:33:50 PM »

Yeah, who wants Stu Jackson fucking up an otherwise perfectly good series with unnecessary suspensions?

League office is in New York.

Which is worse anyway: having a fight or having players suspended for the next game for heading over towards a pushing match?
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 01:04:54 PM »

NBA is just producing more publicity for the series.  Win-Win for them.  Doubt anyone wants to boycott game 5.  In fact, more eyes will probably be glued to the set to root on the underdog SUNS.  Personally,  i have no problem with the suspensions.  No fan of the Knicks should since the NBA took away half our roster vs. the Heat the year we were poised to have our best team ever and take on Jordan's Bulls with homecourt.  Alas, it never came to be.  Lesson learned: Don't act the fool.  Champs have to show more poise than Staudamire did.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
lesterdog

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 04:46:12 PM »

Does anybody know what address I should use to write to the NBA?

http://www.nba.com/email_us/
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2007, 05:22:24 PM »

The Suns got jobbed--David Stern looks like a dork on this one.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2007, 05:31:37 PM »

The Suns got jobbed--David Stern looks like a dork on this one.

Stu Jackson handed down the decision.  The SUNS were mentally weak.  But i am rooting for them to overcome Amare's boorishness.  You can't control Robert Horry taking out your best player, but you can control your reaction.  How come no one but Diaw and Amare (foolish youth) ran to the scene?

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2007, 06:05:49 PM »

By the way, I think Steve Nash is to blame for his own team being in this predicament. He flopped a little on his fall. I'm not saying he wasn't going to fall down, i'm just saying he reacted like it was a bigger hit than it was.  Fooled his own guys.  As he fell and hit the ground, you can see him lean back and throw his arms above his head and behind him.  Acting was not necessary there. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 06:08:14 PM by kam » Logged

-Dave Attell
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2007, 01:23:07 AM »

Spurs take game 5 after trailing for 3 and a half quarters.  3-2 Texas, but Amare will be out for blood tomorrow night.  Should be fun.

-Dave Attell
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2007, 01:42:54 AM »

I saw that Stern chose not to travel to Phoenix.  I never heard of flopping into the scorer's table, but that is the way Horry would like to describe it.  Game Five should have an asterix by it.  I hope the Suns rebound for Game Six, putting all this crap behind them. 
lesterdog

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2007, 09:51:47 AM »

Here's Simmons on the incident and the current NBA. Funny as hell and true:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070516&sportCat=nba
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2007, 09:59:32 AM »

Yup, Simmons pretty much sums it up.  What can you expect from a thick-headed commissioner and his assistant. If the Suns lose this series, I imagine they will hang effigies of Stern and Jackson, but something tells me the Suns aren't done yet, even if they coughed up a fourth quarter lead in Game Five.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2007, 10:40:56 AM »

It's also the reason why we haven't had a bench-clearing brawl since the rule was invented.

Here's the problem with that stupid, idiotic, foolish, moronic, brainless, unintelligent, foolhardy, imprudent, thoughtless, obtuse and thickheaded rule: It's currently designed as a black-or-white law that leaves no room for interpretation.
I think Simmons, and others, miss the connection between the two.  The "Don't leave the bench" rule is a prohpylactic rule, not a penal one.  It isn't designed to punish people for leaving the bench, it is designed to prevent people from leaving the bench.  To argue that it is foolish one sentence after acknowledging that it has accomplished its purpose is to show a basic failure to understand the rule.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2007, 02:56:29 PM »

Simmons went onto say that you can't interpret rules as black or white, which is the case with the bench rule.  The aggressor gets away with losing a journeyman, and Phoenix lost two of its starters for one game.  Neither actually joined in the fight.  Kerr in another column noted that earlier in the same game Duncan and Bowen both moved beyond the safe when a similar incident occurred, but went unpunished,

In a play that went entirely unnoticed until well after the game was over, both Duncan and Bowen actually left San Antonio's bench early in the second quarter after Francisco Elson and James Jones were entangled. Replays clearly show Duncan walking several steps onto the court as Elson and Jones appeared to be ready to get into it. Bowen then followed Duncan onto the floor, grabbed him and led him back to the bench. If the league does indeed follow the letter of the law, both Spurs players would also be suspended for Game 5.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AgPhoXS0Hk6uRhfmZNEXYWO8vLYF?slug=sk-sunsspurs051507&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

So it goes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30
  Print  

Jump to: