Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 19, 2018, 07:31:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fantasy Football  (Read 598 times)
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2007, 10:15:56 AM »

Can't micromanage like that.  Best guy plays, regardless of opponent.

Cutler needs to be better than Brees after 6 games to get consideration.  For now he is a great injury fallback and possible tradebait if he goes off vs Oakland (Quinn would then be my pickup)
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2007, 10:19:20 AM »

Can't micromanage like that.  Best guy plays, regardless of opponent.

I was being facetious, as it seems you were with your "Nice to see MY team in a 12 man is stronger than yours in a 10" post.
luee
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2007, 10:56:40 AM »

Got Torry Holt in 2nd round of my autodraft, is he going to be any good with his injury?
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2007, 11:35:56 AM »

Mark it - Holt will be fine.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 07:37:34 PM »

Is it just my bad luck, or are supposed #2 receivers outscoring their #1s?

Marvin Harrison
Chad Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald

These guys are supposedly #1 targets but Wayne, Housh, and Boldin who were drafted in later rounds are scoring as much or more than their counterparts.  Really screwed me last night.  Its a pt per reception league and these possession guys are killing me.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
luee
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2007, 09:26:27 AM »

I am in three yahoo leagues, cannot live draft in Yahoo because my oooo memory or something will not allow it. yahoo has really gone down the tubes last couple of years, ever since the pervs started hanging out in the chat rooms. Security, security, and security glitches. Anyhow got one killer draft, could not live draft on the other  doormat city, and so/so on the third.  The good one is the winner league. Have not won one of those in many tries.

Anyhow get messages about add-ons from MS who admit it has something to do with windows. But no problems anywhere else. Right now Fox has become number one, CBS has no real public leagues you must sign up with an existing league. But Amber Wilson on the weekly updates is a hottie.
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2007, 09:15:19 PM »

Got first pick in my 8-team touchdown league with a snake draft. Took L.T. (duh). Trying not to panic too much at the moment because, after all, he did face two pretty solid defenses in Chicago and New England. I still ended up winning in Week Two thanks to the solid performances of Joey Galloway and Jake Delhomme.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2007, 09:53:35 PM »

Attaboy, Earl.  Keep us posted

Guy in our league is romping without LT because the idiots in the league overrated the RB slot and allowed him to grab Brady and C Johnson wiht picks in second and third (12 teams)

OY
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2007, 04:56:20 PM »

Discuss your fantasy team

Here's my draft last night.... I had to pick 9th in a 12 player snaking format draft

teams start 1 QB 2 RB 2 WR 1 TE 1 FLEX (RB-WR-TE) 1 K 1 D

9th pick: Rudi Johnson- all the good pass-catching RBs were taken and this league awards a pt per reception so i was miffed and settled for the steady production of Rudi. Parker, McGahee, Edge, and Jones-Drew were left on the board hoping one would be there again at 16.  Manning and Palmer were also available at that pick.

16th pick: Chad Johnson- ok so my top two picks are on the same team.  thats a risk.  but all the good RBs were taken and my original strategy of drafting two top RBs was shot to hell. I figured i'd draft the first WR.  And perhaps trade him later.  Lawrence Maroney was available here and I hope i don't regret passing him up.  The lack of receptions for LM was a concern.

33rd pick: Larry Fitzgerald-  Round three was WR dominated.  at this point i was toying with the idea of going all-in on the Bengals and picking up TJ.  But Larry is a #1 option and  i could not leave him there as the BPA. He is also potential trade bait.  He was the ninth WR selected.  TJ went 38, Boldin 39th.

40th pick: Donovan McNabb- I went for my QB here.  Bulger, Brady, Brees, Palmer, and Manning were already taken.  Guys like Javon Walker and Brandon Jacobs were available here.  I still don't have a #2 RB at this point in the draft and its looking doubtful i'll get one.  McNabb too consistent to pass up.  But it was a toss-up between him and Jacobs in my mind.  I guess i'm not sold on Jacobs as a Giant fan.  I think Droughns and even Bradshaw will steal carries.

57th pick: Calvin Johnson- the rookie #2 choice of the Detroit Tigers.  I was looking for my #2 RB here but Ahman Green was swiped one pick before me. I was hoping a guy like Cadillac Williams or Marshawn Lynch would fall to me.  Taking Calvin, I passed on guys like Randy Moss, Todd Heap, and Tatum Bell.  Now i'm screwed in terms of RBs.  But loaded at WR it would seem.

64th pick: Patriots- Bears were taken in rd 4, Ravens in rd 5. I wanted a top Defense/ST to make up for my RB deficiencies,

81st pick: Vernon Davis- All the good TEs were gone.  It was a toss-up between Davis and Crumpler.  Crumpler was picked two spots later.  DeAngelo Williams was also in consideration here but i was hoping he'd drop to me at 88.

88th pick: Fred Taylor- FINALLY a second Running Back to round out my starters.  Fred's a #3 masquerading as a #2 on my team and my biggest weakness right now.  I'm hoping to trade my excess WR for some RB help.

105th pick: Donte Stallworth WR
112th pick: Deshawn Foster RB
129th pick: Ruben Droughns RB
136th pick: Alex Smith QB
143rd pick: Shayne Graham K
160th pick: TJ Duckett RB
177th pick: Jeff Garcia QB
184th pick: Bo Scaife TE

WELL, I won my division at 8-6 and am going to the playoffs as the 3 seed.  Looking at my roster above I still have my first 6 picks although McNaab is no longer starting for me at QB.  Rudi, Chad, Fitz, Calvin and the PATS have been getting the job done.  I had to sub in Kenny Watson a few games for Rudi but we did ok all in all.  My only other guy still left over from my draft was DeShaun Foster who a nice game or two for me.

Where I really got lucky was in the waiver process and in trades.  FIRST, i picked up Derek Anderson waaaay back in week 3 or 4.  He had a big game and nobody else in my league really wanted a QB.  I already had Jeff Garcia on my bench, but Alex Smith stunk so i was happy to dump him for DA.  I also nabbed Shaun McDonald early on and he has started many games for me.  As well as Nicholas Folk.

5 weeks ago I traded Vernon Davis on the strength of his one good game after returning from injury along with Fred Taylor and I got a relatively unknown Ryan Grant (RB Green Bay) for him along with Kevin Walter (WR Texans).  Now Walter has sat on my bench and kept it warm but Ryan Grant went immediately into my lineup and practically carried my tram on his back these last 4 weeks as I enter the playoffs on a win streak.

AND to top it off, I managed to pick up Donald Lee (TE Green Bay) for the last 4 weeks. Yep... this is my best season since 2003 when I won the league.

Since 2003 my record has gone from 9-5 to  6-7-1 in '04 , 4-9 in '05, and 6-7-1 again in '06. Can I be the Florida Marlins of my FFL?

« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 05:59:02 PM by Kam » Logged

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2007, 05:17:26 PM »

Three of my first five picks were Larry Johnson, Carnell Williams and Marvin Harrison, from whom I got a combined doodly-squat.  Despite which, I still finished third, won 8 of my last 9, and made it through the first round of the playoffs.  Primarly because my other two top 5 picks were Terrell Owens and Randy Moss, and because urb foolishly cut Jamaal Lewis after week 5.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2008, 03:57:59 PM »

Had a solid year in my office league. My team, Earls Gone Wild, finished in 4th place which was the last spot to qualify me for the playoffs. Got to the championship game where I was beaten by the Punk-Ass Bitches by only a handful of points.

The slim margin of defeat was a bit surprising since the PAB's had both Tom Brady and Randy Moss. I had the first pick in our draft and that got me Tomlinson. Also, Plaxico Burress kept coming through for me despite being listed as "questionable" on the IR week after week with that ankle of his. T.J. Whoseyourmama was also steady as a rock most weeks. What killed me in the final game, though, was that my opponent had Clinton Portis who threw (threw!) for one TD and ran for another. If not for Portis...

Ah well, 2nd place still wins me $50 and at least I don't have to buy the food at next year's draft party, a requirement for the previous year's winner.
sv

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 11:22:51 PM »

Can any of you make a recomendation for a good starter fantasy league? I've never done one before but have always wanted to. Is there a league here at this site?
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: