Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 17, 2018, 10:39:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24
  Print  
Author Topic: Science and Religion  (Read 5400 times)
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: March 19, 2008, 08:24:58 PM »

People so very much WANT to believe.   

Yes, it seemed to be an obvious reflection.  I imagine than an object of its apparent size might, had it been real, shown up on British radar and been seen by huge numbers of persons.

There's another recent video of UFOs seen over a city in Turkey -- I don't have that link handy, but it is a bit more puzzling.  That one seems to have the saucer crowd all abuzz.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
obertray

« Reply #316 on: March 19, 2008, 09:11:55 PM »

I've seen a UFO. Absolutely positively. It was right overhead, it stayed there for longer than I felt like standing there looking at it.

Crap this picture could almost be of me http://www.unmuseum.org/triufo.htm There was a pond a block away from where I was watching it.

Absolutely silent absolutely still until it moved with still no sound. Neat trick if they could pull it off.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 11:36:15 PM by obertray » Logged
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: March 20, 2008, 07:29:16 PM »

I have yet to hear a really credible explanation of the Hudson River case.

My son and daughter visited Roswell a couple years ago and reported back that the vibe was pretty religious, a sort of Mecca for the devout Saucerians.  I've been in the state, mainly Taos area, and somehow never bothered to get down to Roswell. 

MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: March 20, 2008, 08:46:11 PM »

People who study the stars for a living say that what most people call UFOs are just things that astronomers see normally.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: March 20, 2008, 08:48:18 PM »

I've seen innumerable Objects that were Flying, yet remained Unidentified... by me anyway.

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
- Franklin (and Jefferson)
obertray

« Reply #320 on: March 20, 2008, 11:43:37 PM »

I have yet to hear a really credible explanation of the Hudson River case.

My son and daughter visited Roswell a couple years ago and reported back that the vibe was pretty religious, a sort of Mecca for the devout Saucerians.  I've been in the state, mainly Taos area, and somehow never bothered to get down to Roswell. 

In that area isn't there another issue with a noise? I've heard that in Taos many people complain of a low hum that is constant like a ringing in the ears, but much lower pitched. Others there can't hear it at all. The hearers say that the noise is coming from "Over there" meaning that it seems like an external noise as opposed to tinitis.

And speaking of science and religion and Taos, didn't they have an "outbreak" of the plague there a few years ago?

Comes right down to it, is there a more pure nexus of science and religion than the plague?
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: March 21, 2008, 11:34:51 AM »

9/11.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: March 21, 2008, 04:19:46 PM »

This is truly rich - best laugh I've had all day.

Read it, be amazed at these dunderclots and laugh. Then check some of the ensuing comments...  the producers will be lucky if PZ Meyers doesn't decide to sue their britches off.

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
obertray

« Reply #323 on: March 21, 2008, 05:56:34 PM »

This is truly rich - best laugh I've had all day.

Read it, be amazed at these dunderclots and laugh. Then check some of the ensuing comments...  the producers will be lucky if PZ Meyers doesn't decide to sue their britches off.

I don't think that he can but it would be cool if he could Steal Ben Stein's Money! Here's a link to the trailer for the Expelled movie http://www.expelledthemovie.com/playground.php It looks drier than Ben Stein's "humor".

So there I am , watching the Ralph Nader movie, and it's deadly boring, and I'm watching The Corporation http://imdb.com/title/tt0379225/ and I'm made aware that these used to be books that only the fervent read. Now they're movies that several dozens watch. I guess it's the evolution of information transfer.

Ben Stein is a smart guy who just happens to be right enough to be constantly wrong. but one dismisses Stein at their peril, he's not at all completely stupid.

Oh and it's interesting how these sorts of synchronistic things happen... At about the same time that PZ Myers was being "asked" to leave, I was watching the same thing happen to Ralph Nader, who had a ticket to and an invite to comment on (from Fox News) the Presidential debate between Bush and...(I think) Al Gore (could have been Kerry, but I think it was Gore) on that DVD[An Unreasonable Man http://imdb.com/title/tt0492499/]. Interesting.... for any number of reasons.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 06:03:12 PM by obertray » Logged
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: March 21, 2008, 06:17:29 PM »

TITLE 42 > CHAPTER 21 > SUBCHAPTER II > § 2000a
§ 2000a. Prohibition against discrimination or segregation in places of public accommodation
(a) Equal access
All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.
Each of the following establishments which serves the public is a place of public accommodation within the meaning of this subchapter if its operations affect commerce, or if discrimination or segregation by it is supported by State action:
(3) any motion picture house, theater, concert hall, sports arena, stadium or other place of exhibition or entertainment; and

obertray

« Reply #325 on: March 21, 2008, 07:16:09 PM »

Nader DID sue the whoever it was, debate commission and they settled for $50,000!
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: March 22, 2008, 11:09:11 AM »

The PZ Myers incident is beyond bizarre (and then Richard Dawkins getting in -- perfect).  I can't see any legal basis for it, so yeah the guy should take it to court.  Unless PZ Myers is not just a biology professor but some kind of disruptive movie terrorist who jumps up and slashes movie screens and/or hurls mayonnaise onto audience members and/or whips out a megaphone and screams his protest, then I don't think you could bar his entry into a movie theater. 

NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: March 22, 2008, 03:30:29 PM »

The PZ Myers incident is beyond bizarre (and then Richard Dawkins getting in -- perfect).  I can't see any legal basis for it, so yeah the guy should take it to court.  Unless PZ Myers is not just a biology professor but some kind of disruptive movie terrorist who jumps up and slashes movie screens and/or hurls mayonnaise onto audience members and/or whips out a megaphone and screams his protest, then I don't think you could bar his entry into a movie theater. 

Zackly. Unfortunately he's way too mild-mannered to want to make a fuss over it. Might be nice, though, to put the Fear Of God into those mutton-heads.

BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: May 07, 2008, 12:38:38 PM »

In case you were thinking science can't support a religion....

KurzweilAI.net

FlyingVProd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: November 12, 2017, 03:13:13 PM »

God is real, and miracles happen for those who believe...

I was left with chronic back and neck pain as a result of an automobile accident. I was in horrible pain for two years. The pain pills did not even help, and I did not want to get addicted to pain pills. Four doctors said that there was nothing that they could do, and they just told me not to lift over ten pounds. Then, one night while I was on my knees praying, I felt fire run down my spine and the pain went away. God took away my pain. God gave me a miracle. And to this day I am pain-free.

And of note, my father died when I was a child, when I was 9 years old, just before my tenth birthday. My grandfather also died young, and his sons grew up without a dad, and my uncles used drugs, and they spent their whole lives in prison, those were my role models. I was high risk to end up as a drug addict, and I was high risk to end up in prison. But, I am a Christian, and my Christian faith saved me. I worked honest jobs, and I stayed away from drugs, and I looked for good Christian role models. And I never became addicted to drugs, and I never went to prison. Later, my brother married Roy Rogers and Dale Evans' granddaughter, and I looked to Roy as a role model, and I went to college, and to acting school, to be an actor, although I never made it very far. Anyhow, I was high risk for drugs and crime, and because of my Christian faith I stayed away from drugs and crime. And when I did not have a Dad to talk to, I prayed to God.

The enemy is strong, and I was homeless out on the streets for two years after college, and after acting school, but I kept my faith in God, and I continued to pray, and God has been with me. I am not bitter and hateful. I still have love in my heart.

Later I suffered from a nervous breakdown, and from extreme exhaustion, and I had to spend a month in the hospital, and I came out of the hospital homeless. And I was diagnosed with PTSD. But, God took care of me, and God led me to good Christian people who helped me.

Years later I was told that my blood tests were saying that I had Cancer. My doctor even had a talk with me about dying, and he told me to get my affairs in order. Then, after 18 month of testing, they could never find Cancer, and then my blood tests started saying that I am healthy. I pray often, and God hears my prayers.

Maybe my life has not been so great, so far, but God has walked with me, and God will continue to walk with me.

I do not know what I would have done without having God in my life.

Here is a thread that I started on Topix pertaining to God, and pertaining to miracles which God has given me, and there is also a link for a video that I made...

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TBIBCTH9AUKJLF1OV

Salute,

Tony V.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24
  Print  

Jump to: