Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 25, 2018, 03:17:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21
  Print  
Author Topic: Pets  (Read 6408 times)
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: August 21, 2007, 09:33:42 PM »

Are you a cat lover?  Do you need help training your dog?  Discuss your pets here.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 10:21:11 PM »

Oh, thanks ever so much!

I never had a cat until I began teaching. I don't quite remember how Icey came to be our cat. Probably someone gave her to us when we moved to Blackstone. But, as all female kittens do, she had a litter, which arrived just before we were moving into our home in the country. The largest cat in the litter was an all white kitten. We found homes for all but two of the kittens, keeping a male named Tigre (who looks a lot like Rescue) and the female white kitten whom we named Snow. Tigre ran away one weekend when we all went to the beach, but Snow was sitting on the porch when we got back. So, for awhile, we had Snow and Icey. A cool pair. Both mother and daughter loved the range of our property, taking themselves into the woods, and up on the road when it pleased them.

One day, Icey was up on the road waiting for us to come home, and, probably hearing our car on the road, sat in front of the mailbox. When we got to the house, she wasn't stiff yet, but cold. Snow sniffed uselessly at her mother's dead body, and vowed never to trust the road again. We put Icey in an Avon box, and buried her on the edge of the woods, and planted bulbs and perennials above her.

For the rest of her 13 years of life, Snow never again sat on the road to wait for us. If she followed us up to the mailbox, we shushed her off the road. When she did cross the road in her never-ending quest for the perfection of catchable rodents, she scurried quickly from our side to the woods.

Snow was a wonderful cat. She never used a litter box. One time, we left her inside with a tray of litter, and she wouldn't use it even tho we were gone for three days. We couldn't put a collar on her, she'd run in the woods and come home with a paw tangled in it, hanging with bits of briars. She loved our week at the beach. She went down and chased the skunks from under the trailer. She visited the feral cats on the point, and came home at night to eat her favorite food. She was terrified of the Bay, but would allow hubby to bathe her every few months. She would walk around looking like a wet rat, until the door was opened, then she would run out to the yellow dirt in the driveway and roll in it til she was just a dirty as before the bath.

We couldn't grow catnip in the garden. Snow would roll in it until it gave up the ghost!

And, one day, when whe was 13 years old, she went out in the woods on the first day of hunting season, and we never saw her again. It took a long time to get over her loss. We had Fred for awhile. But Fred was my mom's cat, and barely tolerated us until the catnip in the sky took her away. Finally, after hubby moped for almost two more years, I said it was time to get another all-white cat. It took us about six months to find one "free to a good home", but we did find Snowkitis, who is now the queen of the roost. Even tho Rescue grew into a large cat, and Snowkitis is still a small cat, Rescue knows to defer to her in everything. When the good food goes down, he always stands back and lets her at it first. When we call them in, and the come barrelling up the steps like a team of mules, he never runs ahead of her until they are almost in the door, and then he bound over her, runs to the food dish, and waits for her to take the first bite.

Well, enough for now. It's time for others to share their kitties!
Furphy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 10:38:31 PM »

I have five cats. Everybody is pretty civilized except for Buster. His nickname is Mr. Cheney because he is just pure ass mean. He wants to kill someone or at least be allowed to hurt them.

His target of choice is Bruno, an old homeless cat I took in last year. Bruno is blind in one eye and doesn't have a whole hell of a lot of teeth left. But he does have claws like an eagle's talons.

Buster jumps Bruno every chance he gets. Best we can tell Bruno wins the fights because we come home to hands full of Buster's black hair strewn about the place.

Since Bruno wins, why can't Buster just leave it alone?

I don't want to part with Buster because he is as beautiful as he is evil and that is saying something.

But what can I do to take some of the fight out of him?
Furphy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 10:40:13 PM »

And the first b*astard to suggest shipping Buster off to Michael Vick is going to get a poke in the eye...
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 12:00:25 AM »

Furphy,

Confine Buster when you are out, and discipline him when you are around. I use a single finger tap  on the nose, and that usually works for a cat trying to climb up to my plate. When they get to scrapping, Hubby "takes out the stick". It is a wooden back scratcher that for some reason put a fear in both cats and they run to separate corners. They have never been struck with the stick, but it seems to put them on warning but good. Raising a fly swatter will also send them scurrying, but at least they've seen what a fly swatter can do to a pesky fly. If you usually talk sweetly to the cats, an angry voice may put Buster on notice. One thing to remember is that discipline other than the moment when something is happening is wasted energy. The cat has to know. We talk to our cats a lot, and they act like they understand. They do understand a few single words, but overall I think they just judge from the tone of voice. They know the word "out", and if that's what they want, they will immediately walk towards the door. If I ask if they want "food", they will walk to the kitchen to show me the bowl is empty. When it's time to come in for the night, and Snowkitis is already in, I can call to Rescue that it's time for "bed", and he'll stop chasing whatever his eye is on, and come in. He know if I call "bed" it's the last call for the night.

If you are gone, separate the cats, and put Buster where he can't get at Bruno. When you come home, love up on Buster. Let him loose from time to time, and if he fights with Bruno, tell him he's locked up tomorrow. You can confine him in the bathroom, any room with a door and a litter box, or put him in the pet carrier as an extreme. We used to put Rescue in the hall closet to calm him down, and let him out a little bit later. He usually settled into a nap in the closet, and forgot what he wanted to fight about when he came out.

Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 01:05:43 AM »

AWWWW.....Rescue is truly adoreable!
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 09:14:23 AM »

Thank you, Laurie,

He is alternately, My Sweet Boy, My Silly Boy, My Pretty Boy, depending on what he is doing. He loves to be petted on the top of his head, scratched on either side of his face, and under his chin. In a playful mood, he'll lay on his back and let me get his belly, which results in a cat-caphony of teeth and claws holding my hand in place, but, as he has matured, neither teeth nor claws break my skin. His favorite napping spot is laying on my scanner with a full view of the front yard through the window. When he is ready for attention, he walks across the keyboard, adding to whatever I'm typing, or even wiping out the whole of an email message so I have to start over after I've petted him. When it's time for bed, he's somewhere at or on my feet. Sometimes he gets an urge to walk and walks over my feet and legs. I've tried pulling him under the covers with me on a cold night, but he struggles to get out. He doesn't like being covered. Instead he lays on top of the covers as close as he can get to my chest.

He doesn't like violent storms.  If the cats are outside when a storm is brewing, they will come inside if I tell them it's going to "RAIN" soon. But if I don't get them in in time, Snowkitis will sit under the Spiney Greek bush, sitting as pretty as you please, and if I search for Rescue, he is under the boxwood, sheltered by a shingle that feel in there when we re-roofed the house a few years ago. I leave the shingle in place, since it's a nice cover for him from the rain.

Ever since he was a baby, he's been fascinated with the toilet. He loved to run in and check out the progress when one of us was using it, then climb on the seat the enjoy the view as it all swirled away. One time, he was watching the water in the toilet, lost his balance and fell in. Out he came,  and, truely embarassed, paraded around with a very wet head. Now, he keep a firm perch on the seat to watch the wonder of modern plumbing.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 10:28:27 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20070820/sc_livescience/felinememoriesfoundtobefleeting;_ylt=Atssjr2ms9eUijb7rBVOVGys0NUE

A new study has measured just low long cats can remember certain kinds of information—10 minutes.
Visual information is stored for several seconds.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 10:40:08 AM »

Kam,

After reading the link on the science, I have to wonder if it is a paucity of memory, or the intelligence of the animal to note that the obstacle has been withdrawn and no need to step over it.

It seems to me from observing my pets, that cats have good memories of what to avoid. Rescue, having once fallen into the toilet, perches securely on the seat to enjoy his favorite site of the swirling water. It took one time for him to learn that if he perches himself on the side of the tub while I was bathing, that I might pull him in, and he only perches on the side of the tub when I am not inside it. Likewise, he used to enjoy taking a flying leap from the bath rug into the tub, until one time, when he landed in hubby's bath that hadn't been let out yet. He no longer takes that flying leap, but climbs on the side, checks for the presence of water therein, before taking a rolick in the dry tub.

Ten minute memories? Fie and Hi-Diddle-dee-dee!
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 11:12:46 AM »

I am in love with Rescue.  Lovable; adorable and a tabby.  I love tabbies and think they are the most adorable (but I'm not putting down other cats).

Losing a pet (not to mention several) is devasting and nonanimal lovers simply don't understand the joy and love they bring.

I don't have a pet but there has always been one in my family.  When Neeka (my sister's Norwegian Elkhound died, we cried so hard).  And when my nephwe's beloved Honey died, well, we were all devastated.  And when I go to his home, I still look for Honey, who was ring bearer at my nephew's wedding.  (Truly.)  You cannot part a boy and his dog (even when the boy is close to 40).

My sister used to bring my mother (who suffered from dementia) from the nursing home to stay for awhile.  Neeka would sit near her and mom would pet her.  It calmed her and my sister could work.  When Neeka died, she could no longer bring mom home because she would get agitated and restless.

sevrox

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 11:29:36 AM »

Uh oh - cat people.

DogMan meself - have a 135 pound brindle bullmastiff by name of Daisy Marlena Stanley. "Daisy" because of the breed's tendency towards flatulence. "Marlena" after Marlena Dietrich. "Stanley" after my own last name. She's the nicest animal I've seen/owned - although she's somewhat flustered by my SigOther's cat Boethius.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 12:14:47 PM »

Lulu,

Honey is the name of my brother-in-laws current Golden Retriever. When I wrote the stories about acquiring pets for my First Readers series, I asked Larry for a picture of his first golden retriever, Maggie. He sent pictures of Honey, but in the resultant story, the selected dog is named Maggie. The real Maggie had had a very long life, and was the constant companion of Larry's two sons. Rescue was, of course, used as the selected cat in the kitten story.

Furphy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 03:24:55 PM »

I lock Bruno in the back room with bed, box, food and water while I am out.

Buster resents this and guards the door tirelessly lest it be opened and he have a chance to rush in.

But Bruno gets to eat, bathroom and get a drink in peace....not to mention stretching his legs. He is sedentary and one large room is world enough for him.

Buster has the run of the other five rooms of the house...and access to the basement.

Buster appears to be wildly jealous of me. That seems to be the source of his "anger management" problems. But I didn't know cats got attached enough to any one person to be possessive.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 04:10:58 PM »

Furphy,

I think cats are capable of a wider range of emotions than suspected. Although most of the time Rescue defers to Snowkitis, there are times, when Snowkitis and I are playing musical chairs (between my soft chair and the computer bench. I sit in the soft chair to watch tv or think/relax, and then back to the computer). Sometimes Rescue will hiss and fuss at Snowkitis for jumping onto the computer bench when I've just stepped away for a moment. He seems to sense when I'm not really going away and gets angry at Snowkitis for taking advantage of the situation.

I give Rescue way more attention than Snowkitis, who gets most of hers from hubby. When hubby is away, I try to pet each regularly. When I am petting Snowkitis, Rescue just gets disgusted and leaves the room.

weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 05:01:06 PM »

The following was in today's email:

Three new recalls have been recently issued on pet
foods. This includes Wal-Mart sold Jerky Treats,
Red Flannel Dog Food, and Krasdale Gravy. For more
information please visit: