Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 16, 2018, 06:36:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21
  Print  
Author Topic: Pets  (Read 4325 times)
Furphy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 01:52:05 PM »

Does anyone but me find it odd that my cat's antibiotic is bubble gum flavored? Are pets supposed to find this attractive?

And why do pet food makers go to the trouble to shape kitty kibble into tiny drumsticks, fish and steaks? Do they really think that Mommy's Little Precious can tell what the shapes represent or would give a damn if they could?
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 02:28:32 PM »

Furphy,

It is only sales appeal to Mommy who is shelling out the beans to pay for those treats! Mommy's Little Precious will either eat the treats or walk away from them, based on smell and taste, not on shapes or colors.

I suspect the bubble gum flavored antibiotic is just making use of the leftovers from last winter's supply of antibiotics for kids.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 02:48:46 PM »

Does anyone but me find it odd that my cat's antibiotic is bubble gum flavored? Are pets supposed to find this attractive?

And why do pet food makers go to the trouble to shape kitty kibble into tiny drumsticks, fish and steaks? Do they really think that Mommy's Little Precious can tell what the shapes represent or would give a damn if they could?

I kind of find it odd that you're tasting your Cat's antibiotic, but hey... who am i to judge.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
Furphy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 03:18:56 PM »

Both the color and the smell of the antibiotic makes plain what it tastes like. You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to figure this one out.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 03:35:59 PM »

This conversation reminds me of a stand-up comic who remarked that catfood certainly didn't seem to come in flavors that cats "go for" per TV advertising.  No rat nor mouse nor squirrel nor chipmunk nor lizard flavored food to be had.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 06:51:51 PM »

Both the color and the smell of the antibiotic makes plain what it tastes like. You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to figure this one out.

It was a joke. Perhaps a tired one. But i've had to give antibiotic to a cat before so I know what you're talking about.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 06:52:15 PM »

Okay, guys, I still have no luck putting the picture up with complete directions that I copied out from harrie. What's the catch? After seeing nothing in the messages area that some of  us use too much, I assumed that possibly she was referring to the above board which I am filling out right now since she referred to "on the buttons above the message box --second row, second button in(just under the l [for "Italicized"] button)...

But I'm not accomplishing a thing.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 06:58:42 PM »

madupont...

the way to post an image in your post is to place the URL of the picture between these two tags: [imgKAM]http://placeyourimageURLhere.jpg[/imgKAM]

just extract the KAMs

if you're trying to get a picture as an avatar then thats an entirely different set of directions.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 07:02:36 PM by Kam » Logged

-Dave Attell
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 07:38:49 PM »

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 08:18:41 PM »

Cat haiku

A long time ago—
In an old temple of Thebes
I was once a cat…
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 08:23:37 PM by pugetopolis » Logged

weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 08:27:01 PM »

Puget,

I know a picture is worth a thousand words, but how 'bout parting with ten or so from the thousand, and insert a caption on you pix.

I' twould frae many a blunder free us,
And foolish notion.

That first cat has unusually tall ears!
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2007, 02:34:52 AM »

Liquid Silver,

Thank you for setting up this forum.

And all the other forums too.

I've almost forgotten the Big Apple...

Elba is so much better.

Puget

pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2007, 09:11:23 PM »

Pretty Boy

I didn’t know what else to call him—I’d run out of names. The dynasties of cats and princes had ended for me—at least that’s what I thought. A dozen cats out in the garden by the stream—I just didn’t feel like I could go thru it again. Losing them—the heartache and sadness after they were gone.

I just couldn’t do it again that’s all—so I lived alone for a couple of weeks after I buried Rickie under the blue hydrangeas. I was so blue I cried & cried—I said I’d never have another cat again. Then the house started making noises at night—I’d wake up alone and listen to the grandfather clock ticking away. It was just awful—I couldn’t sleep. Nothing seemed the same anymore—everything had a film noir shade to it.

Then one day a lady friend of mine called me—she knew what I was going thru. There was this cat lady in Bothell who had some extra cats—some of them were strays and others kittens. I didn’t want to go but I said okay—it was way up north by the lake. The cat lady lived in this huge mansion on a hill—her hobby was sheltering strays from the neighborhood.

There was this dumpy little apartment down by the road—people came and went and ditched their pets. The cat lady knew this and would lure them into cat-carriers with food. She worked with Paws and found them homes. She said she had one just for me…

It turned out he wasn’t just a regular stray—it was a kind of The Prince and the Pauper story for me & cat. He’d just got back from the vets—all clean and shampooed and dewormed. He’d been scrounging around the apartment house all summer—after a Hispanic couple had unceremoniously dumped him there when they moved.

He was an exhausted little thing—an Exile kind of like me. He was about a year old—but still pretty much a kitten. I picked him up and he gave me this big long sad sigh. Being an orphan was such an awful thing—it’s lucky he survived at all down there by the road. I took him home and he hid for a couple of days. Finally he got hungry and then he was my pal…

I called him Pretty Boy because he was indeed a pretty little boy. So delicate and grateful—he clung to me like glue. He hid when I went off to work or to the store—he felt safe under the bed. He slept with me every night—when his head on my pillow. I swear he must have been a prince one time or another. But then all cats are regal aren’t they—surely descended from ancient Egyptian kings and queens…

Browsing thru a cat book, I found a perfect picture of him. A bright orange Turkish Angora right there on the page—I was totally amazed. Lots of Persians in the country—but not too many Turkish Angoras the book said. I put down the book—and smiled at Pretty Boy. He was a Prince after all—it made me feel so good.

This photo is when I first got him—he’s put on weight and looks better now. But I keep this photo to remind me what little paupers look like—and what Pretty Boys they can become…

weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2007, 10:25:04 PM »

Puget,

I our family, Pretty Boy is called a Sissy Cat, for the yellow cat named Sissy that belonged to my mother-in-law before she passed on. Sissy was more solid yellow than the stripped of Pretty Boy. He is more of a Pineapple Cat, as the editor of a story I wrote about Sara, The Pineapple Cat (coming out around the first of the year, hopefully), calls him and her. When a friend sent me the ad to write a Pineapple Cat story, I knew it was something I could do, and my story was accepted by the editor as the first in his planned series. I can't wait to see what the illustrator does with the "Too High Adventure".

Pretty Boy also reminds me of the cat my son came home with a bit more than a year ago. My son had fallen on hard times, and we persuaded him to come home, regroup, and try again. He arrived two days later than expected due to car problems coming over the mountains. The next day, after he slept off the drive, he said he had a "surprise" for us. He brought out Barnabus. Barnabus was a huge yellow male as friendly a cat as you would ever want to meet. He was with us for several months, enjoying the routine, loving Snowkitis, and keeping Rescue in line (Barnabus made about two of Rescue, who is big compared to Snowkitis). We were talking my son into having Barnabus fixed, and suddenly he disappeared into the woods, never to be seen again. I still suspect that Sam encourage Barnabus to go to preserve his balls, rather than submit to the vet's knife.

Barnabus had, according to Sam, been a free spirit. We don't know how old he was. He adopted Sam when he lived in a small apartment in Muncie, Ind. I suspect he found a new home here in Virginia. He seemed like he could love people for a while, be a model cat (well, once we smelled that he tagged the kitchen cabinets with his odor), and very loving and accepting of whatever circumstances his current owner lived under.

I expect to some day see a yellow kitten floating through the yard, and if I do, it will be the offspring of Barnabus. It if isn't attached, it will have a home here.

BTW, is Pretty Boy a talker? Both Sissy and Barnabus were talkative cats. When I wrote the Pineapple Cat story, I made Sara a talker. So, does Pretty Boy extend the tradition?

pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2007, 03:11:13 AM »

My gawd, this cat talks all the time. I've never heard of so many variations on a Theme by Paganini. It's all done with purrs of different pursuasions. It's ongoing from the minute we get up to when we go to bed. He's got every windowsill in the house for a lookout perch and he talks to everything that moves. Actually it's more a howl and long lament since I don't let him out. He's a real talker -- more than any other cat I've even known. Why I don't know. Maybe it's the breed. Maybe because he's an Exile. I don't know but I like it. Pretty Boy is a Literary Cat...and I understand every word he says...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21
  Print  

Jump to: