Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 16, 2018, 10:07:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21
  Print  
Author Topic: Pets  (Read 6818 times)
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: May 22, 2008, 11:11:13 AM »

Cat Pest:

Have a young cat who has developed a fondness for my dance studio -- meets and greets everyone coming and going.  She managed to sneak in yesterday -- helped herself to the resident cat's (my spoiled indoor senior kitty) kibbles before I even knew she was in (my boy was loudly snoring as I detected "munching" -- students were delighted, of course). Also, that morning I had discovered a baby cardinal struggling in the parking lot -- should have intervened but didn't.  So, this a.m. what do I find at the entrance but the (sad ) lifeless baby bird...a present from the pesky kitten as  my "thanks" for the meal?!  Now, short of being cruel, how do I discourage this beastie from my space?!?!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 11:13:34 AM by kitinkaboodle » Logged

Don't dance on a volcano...
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: May 22, 2008, 12:50:32 PM »

I'm sorry, my solution would likely fall in the "Spoiled Senior, meet your new friend..." category (after vetting, a cleanup, etc.). 

Would any of your students who are greeted like to give her a home and kibble of her own?  By busting into your studio, it sounds like she had a home once and is looking for a new one.
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: May 22, 2008, 01:11:31 PM »

Harrie ~~
You are a softie... my (big) dogs and resident cat are enough at this point.
Hadn't thought about passing her along...although everyone fusses over the lil' brat-cat no one has expressed any interest in making her their own.  I'd have to jazz up the offer, somehow...
Thanks!

desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: May 22, 2008, 01:23:21 PM »

LOL - sounds like you've been adopted, kit.
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: May 22, 2008, 02:01:05 PM »

Aack!

As Bill the Cat would say...................

NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: May 22, 2008, 03:35:26 PM »

Hi Kit,

As a dance studio owner I thought you'd like to check out this article in the NYT.

My website is the one mentioned for Blist-O-Ban, and we have some dance studios as clients so I thought you might be interested. There's even an Irish dance studio that buys that product from us and re-sells it at the studio. They swear by it, as do a lot of outdoor adventurer types.

That's sad about the Cardinal... we have a few Northern Orioles that come around every year and drain our hummingbird feeders. One male got in the house and Lucy the cat was climbing the walls going after him - I had to grab him more roughly than I intended to save him from imminent rending... my heart was racing and I was very angry at the cat (I know that's irrational and I didn't do anything but scold her), but the bird recovered and went straight back to draining the hummingbird feeder. Hope I didn't put any scent on him that alarms his family...

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
- Franklin (and Jefferson)
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: May 22, 2008, 04:02:49 PM »

Reminds me of something funny that happened years ago -

A bird got into the house without my knowledge and roosted overnight in the house.  The next morning, he flew up to my room and woke me up.  Then he vanished.  I was gingerly going through the room looking for him - while I was standing near a window, I moved slightly and it turned out that he was standing right there next to me.  So I accidentally nudged him with the side of my foot and he flew up - it just scared the bejesus out of me!  I screamed, even though it was only a little sparrow.

I'm also afraid of fish.

So there you go - I'm a patsy.  Sad
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: May 22, 2008, 06:20:54 PM »

Noneoftheabove:

"Dancer's Wool" is (still) what I recommend for budding ballerinas...have tried other products.  The wool "fits" the best IMHO.  But, I can see where a product such as yours would be appropriate for other dance/shoes.

Yes, upsetting when a beautiful, tiny bird is zapped -- be one thing if the cat  "needed" (ate) it -- but it was done for "kitten fun" I guess (one reason I will only have "housecats").   BTW:  Here in New England the hummers are really late in showing -- have seen just one "scout" so far.  Guessing it's the cool spring?

NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: May 22, 2008, 06:28:14 PM »

Noneoftheabove:

"Dancer's Wool" is (still) what I recommend for budding ballerinas...have tried other products.  The wool "fits" the best IMHO.  But, I can see where a product such as yours would be appropriate for other dance/shoes.

Yes, upsetting when a beautiful, tiny bird is zapped -- be one thing if the cat  "needed" (ate) it -- but it was done for "kitten fun" I guess (one reason I will only have "housecats").   BTW:  Here in New England the hummers are really late in showing -- have seen just one "scout" so far.  Guessing it's the cool spring?

Wow, that's surprising (about the hummers). We've had the scouts since April 24th and they're here in droves now. And we're at 7400+ feet of elevation in the middle of the Rocky Mountains! I took this picture a couple of days after they first showed up:

That little guy spent most of the day plastered up against a SW facing wall of our house, trying to absorb some warmth. It was snowing like a banshee, poor guy.

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: May 22, 2008, 06:39:38 PM »

Had no idea, we had dancers in the house!
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: May 22, 2008, 06:45:55 PM »

Noneoftheabove:

Wow, that's surprising (about the hummers). We've had the scouts since April 24th and they're here in droves now. And we're at 7400+ feet of elevation in the middle of the Rocky Mountains! I took this picture a couple of days after they first showed up:

That little guy spent most of the day plastered up against a SW facing wall of our house, trying to absorb some warmth. It was snowing like a banshee, poor guy.

Thanks for the pic!  I'm jealous!!

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: May 23, 2008, 05:35:18 PM »

For all those with cats that have a ferocious appetite, I'm sending for one of these:  SLOW  THE CHOW DOWN

Innovatively designed bowls with obstructions in the center help prevent bloat, reduce vomiting from aggressive eating, minimize gulping and excessive air intake and allow pets to feel more full. Veterinarian-recommended. Modern, no-tip shape works with kibble or canned food.
Dishwasher-safe in plastic or metal.

From a beautiful catalog, for the dog who has everything.

in the company of dogs.com         1-800-544-4595

three plastic sizes in red,blue, and black;D74-089 Plastic Brake-Fast Bowl

and one brushed-metal  medium sized bowl, most expensive of all, holds five cups of feed.

Unique design slows down fast eaters.
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: May 23, 2008, 06:11:15 PM »

Wow Maddie - everything but "send before midnight tonight!".

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: May 23, 2008, 08:17:14 PM »

I have a cat, who was born a Taurean, she pigs out .  There is a reason they are calling this the Brake-fast bowl.  It usually happens with the morning feed. The bowl is also constructed to put the brake on this tendency, they have to eat slower and savor.

Being a Taurean, she was behaving like a Bulemic Feline, keeping her svelte figure but  barfing, -- I call it, "carking", as they could choke when doing this. And there are only so many times that you want to go get out the carbona cleaner or the oxycleaner with the brush top  to clean up just when  you are ready for your coffee and really need it, having enough problems dealing with your senior-self much less a beloved "furry person" as one of the lady poets used to call them; that was either May Sarton, or May Swenson but I forget which.
Furphy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: June 02, 2008, 12:34:14 AM »

She wasn't a pet but Harpo was a pretty damn good little cat. 

Harpo was a street cat who ate on my front porch every morning and evening. I inherited her and two other cats from the German cat woman down the block when she died. I named her Groucho since she had an odd rectangular "mustache" under her nose. Having named her Groucho, I always called her Harpo.

Harpo was a scrappy little cuss but I never saw her fight anyone. She was friendly but independant.

She's been around these parts for about twelve or fifteen years by our best reckoning. Harpo was getting old and thin and I didn't expect that she'd last much longer. But I didn't think the end would come as quickly as it did.

Apparently she met up with a car while crossing Roosevelt Street yesterday. I found her lying on the sidewalk last night and gave her the best burial I could manage.

She was such a part of our landscape that it is hard to believe I won't see her again. Most old cats just disappear to the "elephants' graveyard" and are never seen again. I am sorry things ended for her the way they did, for her sake and my own.

Happy trails to you, Harpo.....
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21
  Print  

Jump to: