Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 20, 2018, 02:01:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21
  Print  
Author Topic: Pets  (Read 4398 times)
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: June 02, 2008, 01:39:01 AM »

Furphy,

My deepest condolences on the demise of Harpo.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: June 02, 2008, 01:44:22 AM »

Past few days, our cat have been showing us that pets have pets.

Snowkitis has been sitting guard around the refrigerator for about a week. We weren't sure why. Hubby found out when he stayed awake one night, and she marched into the sitting room with a large round, brown rodent in her mouth, which she dropped. The rodent then ran across hubby's feet and hid behind the trash can. I'm not emptying the trash can.

Not to be outdone, Rescue brought his own pet in to hubby. A baby rabbit. Hubby picked up the little trembling thing and put it out in the periwinkle by the house. It wasn't there were he looked again.

Didn't know that pets would have pets, but then ours are so like people anyway sometimes. We have toys for them, largely ignored. I'm up late tonight and hope I don't get a glimpse of Snowkitis' rodent. Time to put it down. Will walk to the bedroom with a flashlight after I turn the light on just in case.

They could have at least asked permission before the brought their pets into the house!
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: June 02, 2008, 11:01:19 AM »

Furphy -

Sorry to hear about Harpo.   
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: June 02, 2008, 11:21:44 AM »

"a large round, brown rodent..."

I think those are called "rats."

Some of my cats have kept pets.  For about two minutes.  Then they kill them and play with the corpse.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: June 02, 2008, 11:54:51 AM »

LOL, barton.  Grin
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: June 02, 2008, 12:04:46 PM »

"a large round, brown rodent..."

I think those are called "rats."

Some of my cats have kept pets.  For about two minutes.  Then they kill them and play with the corpse.

I have a bald squirrel living in my back yard.  If I hadn't watched her go bald, I would have mistaken her for a very large rat. 

Sorry about Harpo, Furphy.  It's easy to get attached to neighborhood animals that drop around...especially if you feed and care for them.  I used to have a gigantic cat who would drop in from time to time.  One evening I was sitting on my porch with him when his owners walked by and called him by his name....Cuddles....of all things.  Well, when Cuddles heard his name, he laid his ears back and slouched on home.  I haven't seen him since....I suspect he is too embarrassed to face me.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: June 02, 2008, 02:10:29 PM »

Furphy, I'm sorry you lost your friend.

I've just gotta say, I'm glad my cats stay indoors and don't bring home any "friends."  They do have a pet, though - they definitely own the dog.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: June 04, 2008, 10:33:12 PM »

This is for the horsey folks:

Col. John Baylor III (1705-1772) of Newmarket, VA  imported Fearnought, the most important thoroughbred in pre-Revolutionary America, in 1764.  Big Brown, the Triple Crown contender who will race at Belmont this Saturday, is descended from Fearnought an astonishing 5,734 times.  Here is a link to an article I wrote about this appearing in today's (June 4) Fauquier Times-Democrat:

http://www.fauquier.com/news/2008/jun/03/belmont-favorite-big-browns-
virginia-legacy/

NOTE: I didn't want to put the man's signature and email on here. Not sure if it's appropriate. I hope it's on the link. He did a longer piece that he will send on request.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: June 15, 2008, 10:32:57 PM »

Took the dog to an animal communicant (pet psychic to you sensationalist types), and it was very interesting.  If the communicant was a charlatan, she was very good at it as hubby and I are both kind of skeptical/cynical, and she wowed us at times.  The reasons for taking the mutt were 1) giggles; and 2) dog was abused, and while he's a great dog, he has trust issues we'd like to work on/minimize.

I mentioned this to someone else, and he said his aunt took her cat to a communicant, and it helped them a lot.  Now that's something I find impressive, since I never thought of cats as particularly compromising or reasonable.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: June 16, 2008, 02:55:16 PM »

Oh, Harrie, for posterity. I saw,"Broken Flowers" with Bill Murray, by Jarmusch a few years ago, and Chloe Sevigny(who has since gone on to Big Love fame as the jealous second wife of a Mormon businessman)plays an "assistant" to a "Consultant"/communicant played by Jessica Lange.

Murray is looking for his lost loves because one has sent a note incognito, we travel with him about his part of America visiting the scenes of his past, when he gets to Sevigny answering the door and finds out what Jessica is doing professionally, Chloe does her usual and takes the flowers that he has brought for Lange and throws them in the garbage.  Murray does all  this in his usual deadpan.

"Consultants" are not at all strange when you consider that much of todays's psychoanalysis comes by way of Behaviorism which psychologists have studied experimentally for at least half a century by working with what was called an animal-lab at the time. Animals are so intimately part of our families by this point that they like having us as Pets of their Own.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 02:57:04 PM by madupont » Logged
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: June 16, 2008, 09:59:14 PM »

"Consultants" are not at all strange when you consider that much of todays's psychoanalysis comes by way of Behaviorism which psychologists have studied experimentally for at least half a century by working with what was called an animal-lab at the time.

Well when you look at it that way...still, it's just wild. We've modified some of our behavior, and so has the mutt -- and it's in the areas where the communicant said he (the dog) would try to do more.  So say what you will, I have a tough time discounting the process.  Or this one person at least.
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: June 17, 2008, 09:26:20 AM »

Lucy the cat brought me a present yesterday...

...a baby weasel. I was upset. Got her a new collar with louder bells. Now considering a cowbell. Good thing she didn't run into mama.

Wildlife is taking a beating... a 5' bull snake got itself tangled in the bird netting around our rasberry bush and strangled itself despite my wife's best effort. So sad.

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
- Franklin (and Jefferson)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: June 17, 2008, 10:09:59 AM »

Though I initially had an image of your animal communicant as Ace Ventura, I do have an open mind regarding such -- agree that it's easier to see a dog benefitting from this process more than a cat.  I imagine the cat being talked to and responding all Bob DeNiro in "Taxi Driver" like "you talkin to me?  you talkin to ME?" etc. 

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: June 17, 2008, 12:22:23 PM »

LOL, barton!

Harrie, why don't you tell us some of the details about the pet psychic?  What did he or she say?  Was it like you see on television - "He says he feels uncomfortable, and he wants you to do thus and such."
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: June 17, 2008, 01:30:46 PM »

Okay - twist my arm!  Seriously, it was just very low-key; dog, me and hubby, and communicant (she) in a quiet room.  We were asked to have a number of questions ready; and after we told her one, she'd be very tuned to him for a couple of minutes -- blinking eyes, head bobbing, head shaking -- then come back with information. 

A couple of times, it was information we hadn't given her by way of the questions or talking or anything, and it was a little eerie when she'd nail something that way.   Also very weird was that the dog hates looking at anyone, much less making eye contact; and on occasion, his head would whip around and he'd look her straight in the eye for a few seconds.  He was also much more relaxed than I thought he'd be.

The mutt doesn't really like his old name (understandably) because it's part of his crummy past.  I asked if he'd come when called more often if we used the name he offered up, and the response was "He'll try." The dog also said he'd try to be more willing to approach the hubby -- who's a real softie, pretty quiet, etc. but sometimes moves too quickly -- and the hubby agreed to move more slowly and say "Hey, behind you" or whatever the situation calls for.

The dog volunteered that he loves his walks in the woods (which we already knew, so didn't ask about), and he likes to play a game -- get lost in the woods and try to find his way back.  (We are never taking the leash off!)  But he doesn't like the dog park if it's too busy because a lot of dogs pick on him, which we didn't know.

If you buy into this, the mutt said he lived in a cage for basically his whole life (we know that he did for at least a year with the abusing party, and then six months in the pound while the case went to court) and that he had to learn to live in a house for the first time with us.  We pretty much believe this because we did have to teach him to walk up the stairs by straddling him and lifting his paws up one by one for a couple days -- and we have a lot of stairs -- and the hubby had to teach him to run.  He's pretty much got that down now, too. 

Because of our dog's past, and despite the fact that we've been very nice to him (he even said so, the communicant said), he's still waiting for the other shoe to drop and for us to turn evil.  Bottom line:  He just needs more time to come around.  And time is something we can actually afford -- yeah!!

All in all, it was a very interesting experience.  I'd think it's very easy to get ripped off doing this -- it's not that far removed from palm reading, fortune tellers or whatever -- but I was impressed by this lady.  She seemed to be genuinely concerned with improving things for the mutt. 

Sorry to go on -- y'all can stop scrolling now!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21
  Print  

Jump to: