Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 16, 2018, 10:39:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: How much NHL do you watch?
Far less than I used to
A little less than I used to
The same as always
More than ever
Am not now and have not ever really been a fan

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: NHL  (Read 2885 times)
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
NHL
« on: April 15, 2007, 09:38:50 PM »

Who will win the Stanley Cup?
bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 03:19:13 AM »

I'm rooting for Buffalo to win it all.The Sunday double OT game that the Rangers won was a great playoff game.Though a longtime Bruins Fan,Not much to Cheer with a franchise where the bottom line has been just to make a profit the last twenty plus years but I grew up in Rochester so the Sabres have always been one of my teams especially when the Rochester Americans have been the Sabres AHL team for years.Just as long as Montreal or the Rangers don't win the Cup any year its been a good year.

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 01:00:25 PM »

I wish they would take the Cup this year;  but if the Sabres keep playing this way, they're going to lose this round to the Rangerks, never mind the finals.  Have you been watching?  Lindy Ruff looks alternately pissed and at a loss.  At first, I thought he was reacting to the reffing, which has been abominable -- but now I wonder if he's reacting to the play of his team. It's like they forgot how they played all year.  There's speculation that Gaustad might make it back for Friday's (?) game; maybe he'll be a good sparkplug.  It just seems that if there's a way to screw the Sabres, the refs find it.  I still agonize over the ripoff goal against the Stars in ....'95?  (or thereabouts)

I also heart the Sabres, as they remind me of my long-lost, blue collar team, the Whalers. Ironically, the Whaler/Sabre rivalry was brutal.  Two of my most memorable games included a truly bench-clearing fight between the teams, after which the remaining players actually had elbow room on the bench; and one where the Primeau brothers fought each other.  The next day in the paper we read that Keith Primeau called Mom after the game to apologize; hopefully Wayne did the same.

You're lucky to have Randy Cunneyworth coaching the Amerks.  He was a solid player (six or so years in the Whaler system) and is a quality person. IMHO, of course.
bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 02:38:46 AM »

Harrie,The Whalers played the first season at Boston Arena now Matthews which is The Northeastern Hockey Teams home.It is I think the oldest rink in the country,1910 and was the original home of the Bruins and I think the Celtics.Those were the Whalers WHA days.I went to Northeastern and our Frat always went to the NU hockey games.That was in the late 70's early 80's.After that I moved to Los Angeles and when I first lived here my brother and I had Kings season tickets at the old L.A. Forum.Before Boston I spent my freshman year at Berkeley in 1975 and My brother had a friend who always gave us his Seals Tickets.The second season of our Kings tickets I went to the bathroom one night and there was Willie O'Ree the first black player in the NHL and ex Bruin.I yelled out Willie! and all these white guys looked at me like what is this dude on.Willie looked at me like how does this white dude in L.A. know who I am but I got his autograph and talked to him out in the hall for about five minutes.I try and follow The Amerks on line as best I can. 

bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 02:45:30 AM »

P.S.,Don't you miss the old NHL where they beat the heck out of each other?The Bruins had Terry O and Stan Johnathon who was supposed to be part some kind of Canadian Indian.Edmonton had those two guys names escape me that you just wanted to hit every time you saw them.The Flyers always had first rate thugs.

bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 11:00:07 PM »

What a great game tonight.Chris Drury wherever he has played seems to come up with BIG goals but none was bigger than tonights.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 05:16:34 PM »

Good games the other night (Drury's game-winnner) and this afternoon.  I think the Sabres are going to have a tough time with the Sens, though -- they're playing like this is their year.
bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 12:00:23 AM »

Harrie,It's funny cause Ottawa ran up all those points the past few years and went nowhere in the playoffs and then they have a bit of an off year and now they are winning in the post season finally.

TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 07:29:00 PM »

Game 6 begins in about 1-1/2 hours.

Ducks out played the wings the first two games in Detroit and came away with a split.

Wings outplayed the Ducks games 3-5 but lost 2 out of 3, including a game 5 heartbreaker where they pretty much dominated the first 55 minutes of the game.

After regulations, with the score tied 1-1, Brett Hull (who I used to like) says, "the Ducks are playing horrible.  If they can't show up for the first 3 periods of the most important game they've ever played in, what makes you think they'll show up in overtime?"  I guess he missed the subtle momentum shift that occured with about 5 mintes left in the game.

Anaheim promptly comes out and dominates OT and comes away with the "W."

It feels to me like they will put it away tonight at home.  Detroit has played spelndidly, but they are getting old - this also means they are crafty and wise, but they've just got to be exhausted...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 11:49:38 AM »

After falling behind 3-0, the Red Wings made a run for it in the 3rd period but fell short with the final being 4-3.

Saw the stat last night the the Ducks and the Senators have the most playoff wins of any teams over the last five years, so I guess it is only fitting that they will face each other in the final.

I haven't been watching the Senators much this year but it looks like they have three big scorers and then production falls off pretty dramatically.  if that is the case, the Ducks D should be able to handle them easily. 

Things aren;t always what they seem on paper though...
thebizneverloses
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 09:16:49 PM »

Trojan - don't underestimate Ottawa. They've played masterfully so far these playoffs, and their kill sheet (Penguins, Devils, Sabres) is awfully impressive. I still think Anaheim should pull it out, but despite the lack of exposure, Ottawa is a deserving finalist with a genuine shot.
bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 02:46:53 AM »

Ottawa has played well after the recent years where they had great seasons and went out quick.The ducks though have a goalie who can be lights out.That said being in L.A. I think the only edge the Ducks have is the extra game.The old Ottawa Senators won a cup back in 1919-20 which oddly enough pitted the NHL eastern teams against the old WHL? A great site for all things Hockey is  http://www.hockeydb.com  If this site does not link that is the web address to type in.

bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 02:50:05 AM »

Okay it seems to be The Pacific Coast Hockey Association that provided the "other" team for the early NHL finals.

bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 02:57:12 AM »

Interesting to note that The Stanley Cup has been awarded since 1892 but the IHDB starts with the start of the NHL in 1917.Given that the original Senators won cups before 1919.

vookaleer

Barack Obama is sweet and pathetic. Nice

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 01:35:54 PM »

GIGI is better than Emery and can be the difference

the Nidermayer Pronger defense is good

but I go Senators in 6.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: