Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 16, 2018, 12:45:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: How much NHL do you watch?
Far less than I used to
A little less than I used to
The same as always
More than ever
Am not now and have not ever really been a fan

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: NHL  (Read 5280 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 08:01:47 PM »

I like the Sens, but reserve the right to change my mind after the first game (or right before the final horn of the last game, for that matter).  Ottawa's had a lot of time off, and sometimes it can be hard to recapture the intensity.  But so far, they've looked super-hot.  And while I absolutely love my former Whaler prospect Giguere, he does run hot and cold; this year, IMO of course, Emery has run more consistently.  Plus he's mean.  This could be interesting.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 12:50:34 PM »

GIGI is better than Emery and can be the difference

the Nidermayer Pronger defense is good

but I go Senators in 6.

Mark Whicker (Sports columnist) said this same thing this morning.  But, I just don't see it.  Admitedly, I have not been tuned in to the Senators so they may surprise me.  If the referees "let em play" then I think the Ducks will dominate.  However, if the Ducks get as many cheaqp calls as they did against the Wings, then heaven help them. 

I do know the Senators have a great power play...
bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 02:15:30 AM »

Pretty good game tonight though the Ottawa goalie made some incredible saves so felt a little sorry for him.It's amusing in the new NHL to see an enforcer score a game winning goal but "enforcer" sure doesn't mean what it used to in the NHL.

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 02:33:01 AM »

Speaking of the Stanley Cup my all time favorite story is from the 1938 cup Chicago vs Toronto.Before game 1 in Toronto the Blackhawks found out their starting goalie had suffered a broken toe and could not play.The backup was in Chic and could not get there in time so Blackhawk coaches sent the team captain out to look fot an Alfie Moore a mostly career minor league goalie who had played for the NHL'S N.Y. Americans the year before.The player went to his house and Moores wife told him the saloon he could find him at.He went there to find out Moore had gone to another bar.He found him there and by this time Moore had more than a few beers in him.He saw the Hawks captain and said he was glad to see him cause he needed tickets to the game that night.The player told him he could do better than that.The hawks wanted him as their starting goalie.They took him to the arena gave him lots of Coffee and Moore won the game for the Blackhawks.

TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 07:25:59 PM »

The hawks wanted him as their starting goalie.They took him to the arena gave him lots of Coffee and Moore won the game for the Blackhawks.

There are some great stories from the early days.  That kind of stuff could neve happen today though...

I thought the Ducks completely dominated the Senators on monday night.  With the obvious exception of the power play...   Five on Five was no contest but you are right, Emery impressed me--much more than I expected from him in goal for Ottawa.  if not for him it would have easily been 5-2.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 07:28:17 PM »

It will be interesting to see what adjustments ottawa makes tonight to make the even strength play more...well... even.

Also interesting to see if the Ducks can pull back on the bad penalties.  It seems like their reputation proceeds them and the referees are calling pretty weak penalties.  that can be difficult to overcome -- short of making a big announcement pre-game...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 02:26:53 PM »

Emery was unbelievable last night again, but the Ducks just refused to give up and finally got one by him...

Now we'll see if Ottowa can hold their two home games...
thebizneverloses
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 07:49:05 PM »

That's an amazing story BoSox. Love it.

Trojan - I live in Ottawa. I can report that this city is going bananas. I will be deprived of a serious party if Anaheim wins the cup. I'm otherwise indifferent towards the result.
bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2007, 10:17:44 PM »

The actual story is better than I tell it so I'll try to link it.I was first told that story by a janitor at Northeastern Univ by the name of Pat Egan who was known as BoxCar.He played for the Bruins some years and ended I think with the Rangers.He came along a bit after those years . http://blackhawkslegends.blogspot.com/2007/03/alfie-moore.html 

bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2007, 10:20:27 PM »

I'm in Los Angeles and the press both print and TV gave  a lot more time to Koby Byrant and his whining than the Stanley Cup.

bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2007, 02:59:44 AM »

From the link I posted tonight I was just reading about the 1972 Summitt Series between Canada and the Soviets.At the time at least in the Northeast U.S. every game was on the tube and it was one of the most intense and strangest series I have ever watched.The Canadiens were supposed to walk all over the Russians but it took till the last game for Paul Henderson (a Toronto Mapleleaf) to score the goal that gave Canada a 6-5 win and the series in a 8 game set.The Canadiens were down 3-1-1 in the series and Henderson scored the winning goal in each of the last three games In game 8 it came at 19:26 and it was the last of three team Canada goals in the 3rd period.Henderson never did much before or after the series but he is a God in Canada.It also was the first time we had seen Vlad Tretiak(sp) the Soviet Goalie who was every bit as good or better than Kenny Dryden and in the first game in Moscow in a moment I'll never forget Phil Esposito skated out and tripped on the stalk of the flower given to each player falling flat on his ass then getting up and blowing kisses to the crowd though he claimed later it was to Breshnev.The intensity of the series was amazing and I would love to watch each game again.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 03:13:08 AM by bosox18d » Logged

bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2007, 03:20:04 AM »

P.S. As I recall the last four games were in Moscow or at least in the Soviet Union.I know the last two were in Moscow.

TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2007, 11:24:57 AM »

Trojan - I live in Ottawa. I'm otherwise indifferent towards the result.

Wow...what, are you the only Ottawan that is not a hockey fan?  I have friends from Vancouver to Toronto--but haven't really had a chance to talk to too many folks from the "dark" side  Smiley

so it will be very interesting to hear your perspective on things up there...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2007, 11:27:48 AM »

I'm in Los Angeles and the press both print and TV gave  a lot more time to Koby Byrant and his whining than the Stanley Cup.

lol...absolutely!   I'm in Orange County so same media.  other than a brief period during the mid nineties, hockey has been about as important as college water polo.

Although, the Register did publish a special section yesterday that was only on the Ducks, so the playoff fever is at least warming to about 98.7
bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2007, 10:30:22 PM »

Great Game so far.I was very impressed with the Ottawa crowd singing Oh Canada.You never here a crowd that loud in the U.S. singing the Anthem.Only thing was they were singing in Canadien so I couldn't understand much of it...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: