Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 20, 2018, 05:32:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: How much NHL do you watch?
Far less than I used to
A little less than I used to
The same as always
More than ever
Am not now and have not ever really been a fan

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19
  Print  
Author Topic: NHL  (Read 2984 times)
bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: April 12, 2008, 11:39:20 PM »

I got to see the Boston-Montreal game tonight and wished I hadn't.The Bruins are at a big disadvantage already and after watching tonights game it almost seems like the NHL has decided the outcome.As soon as Boston tied it with about ten minutes left three penalties were called on the Bruins down the stretch, two of dubious merit but none on Montreal despite physical play on both sides and then another in overtime that cost Boston the game.Add to that the Habs fans are the most arrogant aholes in all of hockey and it's pretty much a lost cause.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 11:40:52 PM by bosox18d » Logged

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: April 13, 2008, 09:57:50 AM »

I got to see the Boston-Montreal game tonight and wished I hadn't.The Bruins are at a big disadvantage already and after watching tonights game it almost seems like the NHL has decided the outcome.As soon as Boston tied it with about ten minutes left three penalties were called on the Bruins down the stretch, two of dubious merit but none on Montreal despite physical play on both sides and then another in overtime that cost Boston the game.Add to that the Habs fans are the most arrogant aholes in all of hockey and it's pretty much a lost cause.

It's funny -- you could take this passage, substitute 'Ruins/Boston for Habs/Montreal and Whalers/Hartford for Boston/Bruins, and it would be something I'd have said about almost any Hartford/Boston game many years ago. I didn't see the whole game, flipped in and out -- but reffing always seems subjective, moreso when you have a dog in the fight.  Ah, for the days when Fred Cusick and Derek Sanderson used to work the games, now that was a fun listen (a laugh a minute, from my point of view).

We had season tickets for about 8 years, and met a lot of visiting fans.  We found (completely unscientifically) that the NY Ranger fans thought they knew everything about hockey, but actually knew just about nothing; and if they did know something it was (favorable) stats/info about Ranger players only -- never anything negative and never anything about any other team's players.

The Boston fans thought they knew everything about hockey, and knew a little more than Ranger fans. They acknowledged a Bruins player's weakness here and there, and sometimes admitted when a Bruin made a bonehead play or whatever.  Still, they often put a premium on thug play (the team's strength at the time) and conveniently ignored basic rules like tripping, boarding, etc.  Certainly no saintly Bruin would ever commit those offenses.

The Habs fans could name everyone on their lineup, our lineup and just about any other team's lineup; analyze what went wrong in a broken play or bad turnover; and ask us why, oh why, did the coach split up (Whalers)  Cassels and Sanderson when they click so well? (Good question, by the way.)  When a penalty went uncalled in their favor, the attitude was "Hey, we got one on you there" -- admitting it happened, but glad it didn't get called.  So I can't help but feel that they come by their arrogance honestly, because they really do know their hockey stuff.  Doesn't take the sting out of losing to them, but I actually liked some of the Habs fans we met during the time.

For what it's worth, we also noticed that Philadelphia women had been hit the most with the ugly stick, with a northern New England team coming in second. 

Okay -- is there anyone I haven't offended?  If so, please step forward and I'll work my magic.

bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: April 13, 2008, 10:53:16 PM »

Glad to see the Bruins finally win one against the NHL and the Habs.I see though the Bruins didn't get to basically play the last ten minutes of regulation a man up like the Canadiens did last night.I guesss the Bruins don't "dive" as well as the Habs do.

MrUtley3
Superhero Member

Willie Randolph's Real Killers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: April 14, 2008, 05:23:34 PM »

Great win by the Flyers, yesterday---and the Devils, too.

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
thebizneverloses
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: April 14, 2008, 06:19:49 PM »

Flames/Sharks odd scheduling was because of an arena league football match that was scheduled on the evening on which game 2 was originally set up (as a matinee). Then someone clued it in that NHL games can go multiple overtimes, and so they moved the game 2 forward one night rather than risk running into the arena league game (which, needless to say, shouldn't have been scheduled that night).
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: April 15, 2008, 11:12:54 AM »

Flames/Sharks odd scheduling was because of an arena league football match that was scheduled on the evening on which game 2 was originally set up (as a matinee). Then someone clued it in that NHL games can go multiple overtimes, and so they moved the game 2 forward one night rather than risk running into the arena league game (which, needless to say, shouldn't have been scheduled that night).

Aha, mystery solved.
bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: April 20, 2008, 03:18:19 AM »

Nice to see the Bruins showing some fight.They seem to have gotten to the young Montreal goalie the past two games and they go into Montreal on Patriots day for game 7.That said it's a game 7 in Montreal which means they'll have to beat history,the Canadiens ,the refs and the NHL powers that be on Monday night. Out west the Avs have looked very impressive so far.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: April 20, 2008, 09:40:57 PM »

Nice to see the Bruins showing some fight.They seem to have gotten to the young Montreal goalie the past two games and they go into Montreal on Patriots day for game 7.That said it's a game 7 in Montreal which means they'll have to beat history,the Canadiens ,the refs and the NHL powers that be on Monday night. Out west the Avs have looked very impressive so far.

Agree that Cary Price's lack of experience is showing. He had an awesome year, but in the playoffs he is the Habs'  Achilles heel. Do you really think that if the Habs prevail it has everything to do with league and reffing improprieties and nothing to do with the Habs being in first place in the East and the Bruins squeaking into eighth place on the last day of the season?
thebizneverloses
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: April 20, 2008, 10:20:05 PM »

It will likely have more to do with the brilliance of Kovalav and the Habs kiddie corps up front (Higgins, Plekanec, the Kostitsyn bros) than any sort of conspiracy
bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: April 21, 2008, 12:20:32 AM »

I'm saying that Boston has to beat more than just Montreal.They are the ultra sacred cow of the NHL and there is a looong  bitter playoff history between the two teams. with the "strange" calls for the most part being to Montreals advantage. I've seen many interesting calls happen in the ones I have watched.None of them more uncalled for than the too many men on the ice call late in game 7 of the 79 series that let Montreal tie the game and then win in overtime.An extra guy was on the ice for a split second as the other player went over the boards.To call that in that situation was so bogus even some of the habs fans were amazed it was called. That was the excuse Harry Sinden  eventually used to fire Don Cherry after the best playoff series I have ever seen.I do believe they have played each other more times than any other two clubs in the NHL and it is just as intense as the Yankees-Sox.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 12:22:35 AM by bosox18d » Logged

bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: April 21, 2008, 01:02:18 AM »

A little irony here.In 2003-2004 the Bruins finished first in the division and played Montreal.They were up 3-1 in the series and then Montreal won 2 straight.Game 7 was played on Patriots Day but that series it was in Boston with Montreal taking the game.

MrUtley3
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: April 23, 2008, 12:55:15 PM »

Let's go, Flyers!!!!

Another GREAT WIN!!!

Beat Les Habs and then....

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: April 29, 2008, 08:48:58 AM »

If you're a hockey fan, and you understand the ebb and flow of a play-off game, then read this great writing:

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20080429_Bill_Lyon__Another_nail-biter_is_just_another_day_at_the_office_for_John_Stevens__club_.html

bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: April 30, 2008, 12:53:52 AM »

I'm surprised after so many good first series this round except for Montreal-Philly is turning into a snooze.

MrUtley3
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: April 30, 2008, 12:23:43 PM »

good news for the Devils' fans...but not the Rangers's fans:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=2008-04-30_D90C9NVG0&show_article=1&cat=breaking

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19
  Print  

Jump to: