Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 19, 2018, 10:39:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 52
  Print  
Author Topic: World History  (Read 11018 times)
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: September 08, 2007, 09:18:05 PM »

Discuss books concerning World History here.
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 09:29:28 PM »

Thank you very much for setting this up for those who want to expand  into World History.

Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 09:38:11 PM »

Now---any suggestions for the first book we want to discuss? Let's just start out by exchanging views on topics or books we want to go over?

I just read pieces of RIVERS OF GOLD by Hugh Thomas and as usual it was a good Thomas production on the scale of CONQUEST. It a tome, but readable. There's also a new book out THE KING, THE KAISER AND THE CZAR which I just ordered, but haven't seen yet, but which is an interesting topic. Then there's one out on THE LONG MARCH which I just saw today.

I'm into Soviet History at times and recently read STALIN: THE COURT OF THE RED CZAR.

Lastly, BASILICA a history of the building of St. Peter's Basilica. This one is out in paperback

Please add to the suggestions.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 09:49:50 PM by Bob » Logged
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 10:03:56 PM »

I'm not sure that I'd like to participate in this particular forum but, like you, I love Spanish and Russian/Soviet history. The Stalin book certainly sounds quite interesting.

''Love much & be forgiven''

- - - Margaret Fuller
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 10:24:39 PM »

I, too, am glad to see this forum. I know very little about Russia, and am already spent out on books for this month, so I may just sit this one out on the sidelines.

In the meantime, I recently got The Discoverers and will be reading that, so I may have some questions or comments. I think, Bob, you quoted from it quite a bit during 1421.

Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 03:51:00 AM »

I have recently read Planet of Slums by Mike Davis, Blessed Unrest: How The Largest Movement in the World Came Into Being and No One Saw It Coming by Paul Hawken, and have re read A World Lit Only By Fire by William Manchester (trade size paperback).  I am reading Chalmers Johnson's triolgy Blowback, Sorrows of Empire, Nemisis, which is kind of American History but it isn't exactly.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 03:59:25 AM by Donotremove » Logged
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 07:39:36 AM »

Donot,

Your readings sound much more like what I would like to pursue than those about Russia that Bob suggested.

Last night I finished "The Glorious Defeat" about the US-Mexican war and how the Mexicans resisted a negotiated peach in favor of losing a war to preserve their "national honor". It was interesting to see how democracy was repeatedly subverted by the elite who refused to allow their "common people" to gain knowledge through education to become an effective part of their own government, as well as the duplicity of the Catholic Church in keeping "the peasants in their place". No wonder so many Mexicans seek the freedoms already in place in this country. Yet, we too, are threatened by the arrogance of the elite who would thwart the interests of the "common people" in order to attain and keep power. "The Glorious Defeat" bring home how precious and fragile democracy really is. We need to remain ever vigilant that the government by the people and for the people does not slip away from "the people".
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 08:37:42 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/Hope-Against-Memoir-Nadezhda-Mandelstam/dp/0375753168

Perhaps the definitive reading on the futility and evil of the Stalinist regime.

''Love much & be forgiven''

- - - Margaret Fuller
Bob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 09:05:43 AM »

I'll look at the books donotremove suggests.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 10:54:44 AM »

Bob, my reading list was not a suggestion list. I was just checking in here to let folks know I'm an interested participant and/or bystander to this new World History discussion.  My reading choices very seldom cross any readers here, or any other site I join in discussions with other "readers."  I never have seemed to run into a group that reads along the same lines as I do.  But that's okay.  Now and then something comes along . . . .

Salt by Kurlansky is one of the most stimulating world histories I've ever read.  I'm getting ready to read it again.  Now that I think of it, Kurlansky, in Cod, mentions how the Basque already had crude on-the-beach fishing/curing stations in the New World by the time the Portugese and others got there.  I imagine fishermen discovered lots more territory than they ever got credit for.

I will suggest that it might be time for people to get out their copy of Barbara Tuchman's The March of Folly and read it again.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 11:48:01 AM by Donotremove » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 01:19:25 PM »

Might be, donotremove. I've got my copy. In the meanwhile, I am proceeding with Peeling the Onion, which is not in the Food Matters but in Nonfiction for which I received a reply from admin(sure hope that really is )
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 02:06:28 PM »

Maddy, as far as I can tell. you are reading and discussing Peeling the Onion by yourself.  I haven't seen anyone pick up on it, except for a few comments way back there.
bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 02:40:43 PM »

Donot,I read both Salt and Cod but isn't Kurlansky also the author of "Basque History of the World" also(or some title close to that)

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 04:21:19 PM »

I'm rereading Ten Days That Shook The World intending to discuss it with lhoffman and any interested others in Oct. in Nonfiction.  It could be moved here or remain there.  Certainly, there's no shortage of books of interest and I'm grateful to whoever got this new thread started, and will try to follow even when unable to participate.  THANKS!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 06:25:38 PM by nytempsperdu » Logged
thebizneverloses
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 04:32:42 PM »

donotremove - how was the Hawken book? I read "Ecology of Commerce" about 10 years back and was particularly moved by it.

On the subject of World History, recently finished "The Black Jacobins", which was a fascinating, if overly detailed and somewhat tendentious, account of the Haitian rebellion at the turn of the 19th century.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 52
  Print  

Jump to: