Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 21, 2018, 03:34:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 90
  Print  
Author Topic: Movie Club  (Read 16221 times)
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: September 13, 2007, 09:03:14 AM »

Members should agree to see a specific movie and discuss it here.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 10:10:59 AM »

Thank you liquidsilver.

If I may, I'd like to ask dzimas and whiskeypriest to be our moderators.

Both dzimas and whiskeypriest were fine moderators over in the New York Times.

Both have more experience and people-skills than me in terms of doing a good discussion.

Plus both whiskeypriest and dzimas like the same movies I like...  Smiley

Movies like Pandora's Box for example. And The Third Man...

I'm looking forward to some interesting in-depth film discussions.

Thanks again, liquidsilver...

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
liquidsilver
Superhero Member

Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 10:12:34 AM »

I'd let Wisk moderate but I'm not so sure he'll be visiting much except perhaps evenings since he has no access through his company's firewall during the day

"I hate listening to peoples dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody's having sex, I just don't care."
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 10:32:06 AM »

I'd let Wisk moderate but I'm not so sure he'll be visiting much except perhaps evenings since he has no access through his company's firewall during the day

I understand, liquidsilver.

Plus WP just moved to Chicago and probably hasn't settled in yet.

IMHO we need a moderator during the day don't you think?

Dzimas has contributed a lot of good posts to the Elba Movie forum...as well as the NYTimes Movie Forum.

How about letting dzimas be the moderator if he'd like to? How's that sound?

I'd love to do Eraserhead for a month...

But I'm sure there'd be a revolt of the moviegoers.  Smiley

liquidsilver
Superhero Member

Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 10:33:44 AM »

Let me think about it a bit.  I've been a little against moderators in the past because of the censorship factor but perhaps it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

"I hate listening to peoples dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody's having sex, I just don't care."
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 11:03:41 AM »

2007 is shaping up into a pretty decent year for current films, so I'd vote for seeing something current and discussing.  Maybe The Lives of Others -- an example suggested because I want to see this, but have other stuff in my queue and need a push in this direction or I'll let it slide.

In fact, that "let it slide" factor, aka cinematic laziness, could be important here.  Great films arise from unappealing topics and often I'm richly rewarded by a film I'm dragged to.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 11:27:26 AM »

The Lives of others as subject for discussion may not be controversial enough?

Don't dance on a volcano...
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 12:01:58 PM »

Love in the Time of Cholera, barton, is coming out in November.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0484740/

We’ve been discussing it over in the Movie Forum. What I like about it is that it combines both a book by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and a film with Javier Bardem who also starred in Before Night Falls (2000). Both possible choices…

The Third Man for me shows how books & films interact perfectly. It’s interested me since reading Graham Greene’s intro to The Third Man. Greene describes how the novel was written as a guide to the film—and the book comes very close to the film in terms of the plot, action and characters.

I'm sure whiskeypriest would like to revisit the lecture given by Holly Martins to the Viennese intellectuals. One of the classic scenes in a classic movie. Along with Harry Lime in the Ferris Wheel...

Of course, not all such collaborations / adaptations are successful. Have you read / seen Greene's The Comedians? We had an interesting book-film discussion about it—as well as Visconti’s The Leopard (1963) over in the Big Apple.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057091/

Yes, 2007 has many interesting movies to discuss…but also there are some classic ones as well.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 12:06:43 PM by pugetopolis » Logged

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 12:15:52 PM »

I noted your posting about LitToC and am certainly looking forward to that, though it's not likely to reach the plains by its first release date in November.  A fair percent of Melba regulars don't live in New York or LA, and so have to wait a while for their local university theater or arthouse cinema to screen such films (i.e. indie, foreign, small-studio, niche, etc.).

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 04:50:26 PM »

I place the name of oilcanboyd in consideration for Secretary/Treasurer. 
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 06:16:14 PM »

I challenge everyone to watch "The Brave One" this weekend, there's really nothing like big stars in genre trash to make people happy.  When I see "shots fired" in a convenience store and a lot of 40 oz.'s smashed by some .45 rounds, I get all Eastwood/Bronson/Seagal fired up; then when you tell me that it's Jodie Foster, I'm all like, yeah, cool.

So I think "The Brave One" should be the first film that everybody watches on the big screen.

Rental suggestions:  "O.C & Stiggs," "The Rookie," "Maniac Cop II," "Ticker," and...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416243/

Note:  I think a dive into the subgenres in general might be a lot of fun, like first see "Alien" and then see "Deepstar Six" and then see "The Thing," discuss.  20 pts.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 07:20:08 PM »

I'd watch anything by Tarantino.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 07:38:44 PM »

I just want to be made Special Envoy and Guardian of the PRINCIPLE OF THE RULE OF 2's and BEERTI(.)(.)Y MOVIES.

"Were they built for comfort or built for speed?  Did you do the motorboat?  You ol'motor-boatin' son of a bitch, you did the motorboat, didn't you?"
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »

That's so weird that I would link JFC merch just when, wait, put on your tinfoil hat, I think I'm getting another transmission, a big one, [NOOOOOOOO!!!!] takes horse traquilizer [passes out]
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 09:21:10 PM »

http://store.hbo.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2783857&cp=2764176&clickid=mainnav_browse_txt
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 90
  Print  

Jump to: