Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
May 23, 2018, 05:00:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: World Series  (Voting closed: October 24, 2017, 11:59:40 PM)
Astros in 7 - 0 (0%)
Astros in 6 - 2 (50%)
Astros in 5 - 0 (0%)
Astros in 4 - 0 (0%)
Dodgers in 4 - 0 (0%)
Dodgers in 5 - 0 (0%)
Dodgers in 6 - 1 (25%)
Dodgers in 7 - 1 (25%)
Total Voters: 4

Pages: 1 ... 1284 1285 [1286] 1287 1288 ... 1314
  Print  
Author Topic: American League  (Read 96913 times)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19275 on: January 30, 2018, 01:16:18 PM »

Could the Admin possibly fix the profile page, so that the signature line can be modified?  At present, all modifications are rejected and "database error" reported. 

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19276 on: January 30, 2018, 01:19:59 PM »

You can change your signature line.  It just takes some playing around on the Forum Profile Info.

Move the dot from "personalized picture" to "I have my own pic".  Then erase the HTTP: part there. Put your new signature line in.  Save it. That works for me.  Don't ask how I figured it out.

Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty.  If your cup is full, may it be again.  Let it be known there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men.
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19277 on: January 30, 2018, 01:45:34 PM »

Do you have the live Hollywood Bowl version of "Astral Weeks", yank?

It's quite good.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19278 on: January 30, 2018, 03:02:59 PM »

Thanks, Yank.  I don't see how that would work, but it did.  Miller's Crossing replaced with Mark Twain. 

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19279 on: January 30, 2018, 03:05:18 PM »

Do you have the live Hollywood Bowl version of "Astral Weeks", yank?

It's quite good.
All of that Hollywood Bowl stuff is really good.

Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty.  If your cup is full, may it be again.  Let it be known there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men.
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19280 on: January 30, 2018, 03:18:43 PM »

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/01/30/cleveland-indians-chief-wahoo-logo

For the last seven decades, Wahoo’s leering grin has stared out at fans from the caps, jerseys and shirts of both the Indians and their fans. He has changed somewhat over time—if you can believe it, the original incarnation of Wahoo was even more grotesque—but his presence has been persistent and prominent. Wahoo caps adorned the heads of the Indians as they made their World Series run in 2016, and Wahoo merchandise is up for sale all over the team’s website and in the confines of the ironically named Progressive Field. Wahoo was an inescapable part of Indians history. Now he won’t be, and that’s a good thing, no matter how long it took to get here.

There are two camps of thought on Wahoo. One is that the logo is a racist caricature that demeans an entire group of people who have been systematically oppressed for 400 years. The other consists of folks who insist that the logo isn’t racist because, well, they don’t think it is.

But there is no argument here. Wahoo is racist, full stop.

Wahoo represents what fans see as the comfortable, quiet past—one where offensive depictions of an entire race were looked upon as good clean fun. To defend Wahoo reveals how bone deep the prejudice against Native Americans is in this country. Supporting a caricature so hopelessly outdated proves how the average American either doesn’t understand or doesn’t care about a historically marginalized populace. It’s simple, willful ignorance to claim Wahoo isn’t racist, but the logo still garners plenty of support among Indians fans.

The Indians have finally accepted that Wahoo should go after years of dragging their feet on his removal. But even in 2018, long past when this kind of decision should have been made, Cleveland is still trying to have it both ways. The insignia will be gone, the team pledges—but not for another year, and merchandise with Wahoo will still be sold.

The bullshit of MLB always comes down to the same thing: "Follow the Money".

MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19281 on: January 30, 2018, 03:37:21 PM »

Towers falls.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/former-gm-kevin-towers-passes-away-56-always-celebrated-today-162834829.html

whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19282 on: January 31, 2018, 12:01:14 PM »

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/former-big-league-outfielder-oscar-gamble-dies-at-age-68/Sad news. RIP to the man with, if not the best hair of his era, certainly the most.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19283 on: January 31, 2018, 04:00:56 PM »

Gamble was a player who you remember for more than his hair.

He helped the Yanks beat Boston....He was part of the April 1977 trade in which the Yankees sent him and right-hander LaMarr Hoyt to the White Sox in exchange for...

shortstop Bucky Dent.

MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19284 on: January 31, 2018, 04:02:24 PM »

The Commish keeps fuckin-wit'-da-game, man:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2018/01/30/apnewsbreak-mlb-asks-all-star-11th-start-with-runner-on-2nd/109942868/

MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19285 on: January 31, 2018, 04:04:05 PM »

The Reverse Ripken Move in B'mo: https://www.mlb.com/news/orioles-manny-machado-moving-to-shortstop/c-265439396

CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19286 on: February 04, 2018, 11:02:15 AM »

https://newarena.com/mlb/ranked-the-20-greatest-pitchers-of-all-time/16/?amxt=ob_sve

Definitely have some great pitchers on this list. Looking at his stats and the way they list them, Grove is way too low IMO, and should easily be in the top five.

Kershaw being still active maybe shouldn't be in there. A great pitcher but his body of work should be finished before being entered into the equation. IMO

dichotomous

“To paraphrase Oedipus, Hamlet, Lear, and all those guys, "I wish I had known this some time ago.” Roger Zelazny, Sign of the Unicorn
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile
« Reply #19287 on: February 05, 2018, 11:11:37 AM »

Happy Truck Day, Red Sox fans (and those eager for MLB baseball to resume)!

Lex clavatoris designati rescindenda est.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19288 on: February 05, 2018, 02:14:53 PM »

Happy Truck Day, Red Sox fans (and those eager for MLB baseball to resume)!
Red Sox pitchers and catchers report on 2/13.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19289 on: February 06, 2018, 09:35:29 AM »

You can change your signature line.  It just takes some playing around on the Forum Profile Info.

Move the dot from "personalized picture" to "I have my own pic".  Then erase the HTTP: part there. Put your new signature line in.  Save it. That works for me.  Don't ask how I figured it out.

Thanks Bro.

dichotomous

“To paraphrase Oedipus, Hamlet, Lear, and all those guys, "I wish I had known this some time ago.” Roger Zelazny, Sign of the Unicorn
Pages: 1 ... 1284 1285 [1286] 1287 1288 ... 1314
  Print  

Jump to: