Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 20, 2018, 05:22:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: World Series  (Voting closed: October 24, 2017, 11:59:40 PM)
Astros in 7 - 0 (0%)
Astros in 6 - 2 (50%)
Astros in 5 - 0 (0%)
Astros in 4 - 0 (0%)
Dodgers in 4 - 0 (0%)
Dodgers in 5 - 0 (0%)
Dodgers in 6 - 1 (25%)
Dodgers in 7 - 1 (25%)
Total Voters: 4

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 1283
  Print  
Author Topic: American League  (Read 77548 times)
PK
Superhero Member

Red Sox Fundamentalist

pk1627a@yahoo.com pk1627a
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2007, 09:21:25 AM »

Well that was fun. We get to strut about until, well, today.

I wouldn't waste a bunch of time trying to get posts from the old site. However, if you can get posts from the NYT...

PS. Who were the two that voted no?
bankshot1
Superhero Member

A non-card carrying citizen of RSN since 1957

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2007, 09:23:26 AM »

It was his throw day so one inning doesn't hurt.

its a tactic that's been used a few times, but if Andy had pulled a hammy covering 1st-NYC talk radio would be calling for Torre's head. M&MD should be fun listening later-on.

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
liquidsilver
Superhero Member

Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2007, 09:39:27 AM »

Did Dice-K have a press conference after the game?  I'm curious as to what he had to say

"I hate listening to peoples dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody's having sex, I just don't care."
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2007, 09:39:34 AM »

In response to PK's post I congratulate the Red Sox but can't say "well you swept us" because I've long viewed the terms "we" and "us" when referring to one's  favorite team (or in some cases favorite TEAMS) as kind of bush league.  The Sox though clearly destroyed the Yankees and anybody who relies on the "well the Yankees' got to the Sox starters" kind of analysis that Joe Morgan was putting out there is, I think, is being a hopeless Polyanna.  The only thing that matters is winning and losing.    Better, I think, to rely upon the "it's only April and things can change quickly" philosophy I've mastered.

I doubt that even a fully healthy Yankee starting staff is going to match up with the Red Sox' starters.  The Yankees will have to grind (to use one of Torre's favorite expressions) all season.   Speaking of Torre, I have no problem with him bringing in Rivera in the 8th inning on Friday.  While it's true that Torre broke his pledge (that's really between Torre and his God) I've long thought that the situation (and his health) should dictate when/if Rivera is brought in.   I'd rather have Rivera blow it than Farnsworth.

Come down off your throne and leave your body alone. Somebody must change. You are the reason I've been waiting so long. Somebody holds the key. But I'm near the end and I just ain't got the time. And I'm wasted and I can't find my way home.
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2007, 09:40:26 AM »

BTW, is it too late to vote?

Thanks again for your hard work Liq.  This is clearly more robust.

Come down off your throne and leave your body alone. Somebody must change. You are the reason I've been waiting so long. Somebody holds the key. But I'm near the end and I just ain't got the time. And I'm wasted and I can't find my way home.
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2007, 09:44:35 AM »

No problem,  I wish the Times would have given us more warning so I could have tested out the systems a little bit more before choosing one. 
bankshot1
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2007, 09:49:24 AM »

The Yankees will have to grind (to use one of Torre's favorite expressions) all season.   Speaking of Torre, I have no problem with him bringing in Rivera in the 8th inning on Friday.  While it's true that Torre broke his pledge (that's really between Torre and his God) I've long thought that the situation (and his health) should dictate when/if Rivera is brought in.   I'd rather have Rivera blow it than Farnsworth.

IMO the Ys will grind, eat and spit out almost all teams. The line-up is going to kill most teams. And once Wang, Moose and Pavano return, a sense of normalcy and some quality starts will follow. But that concern is going to dog the Ys this season.

Friday nite was a Mo situation, it was just interesting (and as noted before-it took Francona 3 games to break his ST Paps-pledge, and it took Torre 15 games).  And as long as some Y-reliever blows the lead, I'm indifferent as to whether its Farnsworth or Mo.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 09:51:15 AM by bankshot1 » Logged

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2007, 09:52:01 AM »

When Farnsworth blows a lead, the sense of inevitably is such that you never feel the Yankees really had a chance.  When Rivera blows a lead, it's a mere surprise and at least I can take solace in the "Yankees should have had that one" sentiment.  Though, I never do.

Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2007, 09:56:04 AM »

I'm thinking the next question should be where will Clemens end up since after this weekend -- I have to imagine the Yanks will be throwing a treasure chest at him
bankshot1
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2007, 10:00:00 AM »

off-topic

liq how the hell can you only be a "Jr. member"?   

I think the only hold-up for Rajah is the contract stipulation that Korky (whatever his kid's name is) gets to play for the Ys too.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 10:02:32 AM by bankshot1 » Logged

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
PK
Superhero Member

Red Sox Fundamentalist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2007, 10:17:48 AM »

I don't think rajah is after money at this point (although he'll get a ton).

If it's about filling a desperate need on a good team, he can pick Houston as well as NY.

I honestly think he'll choose to end it where it began and make a strong contender even better. He came close to choosing Boston last year. Real close.
liquidsilver
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2007, 11:01:46 AM »

I know WP doesn't want to see it but I'd still love to see him pencilled into the Sox rotation

"I hate listening to peoples dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody's having sex, I just don't care."
sweet_tata

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2007, 11:09:44 AM »

I don't think that Emily Post would be much of an improvement to the rotation.
PK
Superhero Member

Red Sox Fundamentalist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2007, 11:55:25 AM »

WP has lost a bit on his fastball. I think if we pencil him in we see 5 home runs in a row.

I think if Rog puts back on the sox uni, even WP will come around. After all, we cheered for david wells.
liquidsilver
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2007, 11:57:59 AM »

I'm not sure WP cheered all that heartily for Wells...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 1283
  Print  

Jump to: