- 0 (0%)
Atlanta
- 0 (0%)
Somewhere else
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 09, 2018, 04:48:54 PM

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85]

Author Topic: American League  (Read 17026 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: American League
« Reply #1260 on: December 18, 2018, 02:59:57 PM »

Carl Yaz made the final out in both the 1975 World Series and 1978 playoff game. 

In 1978 I was certain he was going to hit a HR.

So...he choked. Would that be a fair assessment?

Meanwhile in Game 7 of 1975 Series, Joe Morgan delivered the GWRBI.
No that's not a fair assessment.   
Still I wish there was something you would do or say to try and make me change my mind and stay. We never did too much talking anyway.
So don't think twice it's all right.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: December 18, 2018, 03:16:03 PM »

Carl Yaz made the final out in both the 1975 World Series and 1978 playoff game. 

Of course it isn't fair. But we all have seen players villified for failing in a big spot. Carlos Beltran watching strike three go by to end a playoff series comes to mind.

My point is that no one here knocked Yaz as not being a great player. Just others are/were better. And that isn't a subjective analysis, whereas judging a "choke" would be.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: December 18, 2018, 03:44:43 PM »

Of course it isn't fair. But we all have seen players villified for failing in a big spot. Carlos Beltran watching strike three go by to end a playoff series comes to mind.

My point is that no one here knocked Yaz as not being a great player. Just others are/were better. And that isn't a subjective analysis, whereas judging a "choke" would be.

Its neither fair nor accurate. Its idiotic.

But troll if you need to vilify Yaz, knock yourself out.

And troll  no one said Yaz was the best ever.

thats a false narrative.

I had him listed among the greats I had paid to see play.

Just like you paid to see Goose Goslin.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: December 18, 2018, 03:54:48 PM »

No one villified Yaz. But someone here with a dime view if reality flipped out when he found out Yaz was not as good a player as others.

At the very least that's abject immaturity. At best, it's delusional thinking.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: December 18, 2018, 04:20:44 PM »

No one villified Yaz. But someone here with a dime view if reality flipped out when he found out Yaz was not as good a player as others.

At the very least that's abject immaturity. At best, it's delusional thinking.

HEH

my argument on Yaz was based largely his performance in the '67-'70, 4 year period

that is to say, it was a fact-based argument.

he is one of a small handful of modern day players to accumulate those WAR #s over that consecutive period of time.

and as posted his '67 WAR was the highest in almost 45 years.

And I had him listed  7th or 8th (whatever) among the guys I saw in person who I thought were all-time great baseball players.

I did not think him the greatest, but I said he should be in "this conversation". Which he should.

I did not list everyone, just thre guys I swe in person.

Which if you take a look at b-ref WAR page is pretty consistent with an AL fan of my age.

I really wish I could have seen Goslin play, tell us Hammythe 5th how good was Goose?

SSDD

and btw, you moron, in the game you castigate Yaz for, he was 2-for-5 with a homer (off "Cy" Guidry) and 2 rbis.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: December 18, 2018, 05:27:34 PM »

All I've done here is try to talk baseball and express opinions, same as anyone else. I ignored the dumbfuck comment, but you embraced it, like a rabid raccoon going after a Twinkie in a Wawa parking lot.

All you've done is reach into a ready barrel of BS and insults and throw monkey shit on the board here.

Want explain why?

Or is that normal for you?

Since you insist on riffing on Goslin, here goes.

I copied the list of the 100 greatest ballplayers in the 20th century,from the website YOU LINKED TO, and then pasted it to post here.

Then went through the list deleting those I didn't see in person.

So, I missed deleting Goslin?

You seem to think that somehow undermines the larger point, which was that there were many great ballplayers of whom I had the privilege to see play.

Certainly, he is the conversation. And in the list I posted, there were a ton of players ranked well ahead of him. For good reason, too.

Who said he wasn't?

I happen to think Morgan's 1975 season is a better accomplishment than th '67 Yaz season. The other facts posted, you seem to not grasp. A team of Morgans beats a team of Yazzes, according to that site YOU posted.

You want to say those numbers don't count? In the more difficult league? (Then!)

Fine. So?

What changes here?

We are each expressing an OPINION. Clearly, only one of us can read, as I didn't "castigate Yaz".

Merely reported "facts", as you like to call them. Morgan got his man in, Yaz flied out weakly to end the Series. Facts. Handle it. It's been over 40 years.

But you seem to think this is some kind of blood sport.

It's not. It's bullshit.

And your posts to me waste everyone's time, here.

Kill it. Kill the depression, the rage, the anger, the whatever it is that fuels your insipid and unnecessary remarks.

And if you can't do that on your own, like a mature individual, like a MAN, then seek and get help.

Because essentially your posts are being reduced to a variant of a 4-year old saying, "Nanny-nanny poo-poo", and nothing more.

If you fail to grasp that, you are indeed the loser you would like to paint others as being.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: December 18, 2018, 05:45:46 PM »

Moron

the question posed was "who was the best player you saw in person?"

And I gave my answer to that and with reasons why.

You are either clueless or tone deaf to think you can tell me who I should rank where and when as for the most part my universe is alot different than yours.

for example I did not see in person a lot of NL stars, but I saw some.

similairy I'm not going to waste my time telling you about a guy who I probably didn't see in person (Morgan) or why his best year was highly unlikely to come close to Yaz's best year, as its irrelevant to the discussion.

that you fail to grasp this is not surprising as you 1) think everything is about you 2) you're a fucking moron

« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 05:48:35 PM by bankshot1 »

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: December 18, 2018, 06:09:09 PM »

To the extent my comments on Yaz led to the last few page pissing match, I apologize to the forum.
I believe in America.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: December 18, 2018, 06:21:26 PM »

Would have likely happened any way-for reasons unknown, the troll enjoys his roll as village know-nothing d-bag.

He is however an expert on Goose Goslin and copy and pasting.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: December 18, 2018, 06:51:03 PM »

Moron

You are either clueless or tone deaf to think you can tell me who I should rank where and when as for the most part my universe is alot different than yours.

similairy I'm not going to waste my time telling you about a guy who I probably didn't see in person (Morgan) or why his best year was highly unlikely to come close to Yaz's best year, as its irrelevant to the discussion.

that you fail to grasp this is not surprising as you 1) think everything is about you 2) you're a fucking moron

you are indeed the loser you would like to paint others as being.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: December 18, 2018, 06:51:51 PM »

Would have likely happened any way-for reasons unknown, the troll enjoys his roll as village know-nothing d-bag.

He is however an expert on Goose Goslin and copy and pasting.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: December 18, 2018, 06:56:28 PM »

To the extent my comments on Yaz led to the last few page pissing match, I apologize to the forum.

To the extent that I tried to reasonably and rationally present a point of view that differed from the obviously emotionally disturbed individual poster who has not been able to discuss baseball without personal attacks, I extend my apologies to those who must apparently be used to said emotionally disturbed poster.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: December 18, 2018, 06:59:10 PM »

Moron

heh

awesome rebuttal.

Its so sad that the point had to be spelled out several times for you and your rebuttal is all but muffled out by your tears of resignation.

You really are very stupid.

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: December 18, 2018, 09:07:45 PM »

Angels get bargain with Harvey

11 mil.

But should they have at least demanded one team option year?

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: December 18, 2018, 09:26:13 PM »

I wonder if being in a Cincy type town and not in a NY/LA atmosphere might be more beneficial for the Harvey?

I remember a 4-5 years ago Francesa was playing GM and insisted he'd need Betts and Boegarts for Harvey.

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85]