Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 23, 2018, 12:47:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Golf  (Read 748 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2007, 09:15:02 PM »

Fred Funk was like, I'm not old, I feel great, hey if my success makes old guys feel that way no problem, for me having my back feel good is the thing....

Oh, okay Funk, you're not really an old guy, I get it, now Fred Funk is fucking immortal too...

Apologize for your pink-skirted dance of misogny, period.

Otherwise, somebody sometime soon will say "Swing away, discoballs....."

You will never get that out of your head.  Apologize to girls around the world now and I will never say, "Hey, take out the punishment stick, longshot..."

I will never tell you "Pop it wheelchair, pop it....."

Just say you're sorry for your "pink-skirted dance of misogny" and we don't have a problem...

You keep pretending to not be old and sitting on an apology you are in the wheelhouse my "BRO..."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2007, 09:17:14 PM »

"Eye on the ball, swingmaster..."
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2007, 02:03:35 AM »

J

after reading these, I went back looking for a few posts I read earlier where someone was encouraging someone else to shout out random things to one of the golfers...was that you and was it regarding Funk?

Where was that if not on the golf board?'

What have you got against that poor Funker, anyway?
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2007, 02:40:10 AM »

Did you all catch Anika  giving crap to Michelle Wie a couple of weeks back?

Wie dropped out of a tournament with a few holes to go before she would have missed the cut for the tournament and subsequently would have had to requalify for the women's tour.

Anika was all over her pointing out that although Wie supposedly dropped out because of a severly injured wrist, she was hitting balls a few days later, preparing for the next week's tournament.

So far, Michelle Wie is not looking like much of a class act...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2007, 02:44:41 AM »

at 51, he doesn't have to pretend...he IS a pretty old little Funker

Ok...I've gone to the well one too many times with that one...but it just tickled me...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2007, 11:00:57 AM »

The real question is where did Jay Williamson come from and what is he putting in his Wheaties?

He's playing in the Traveler's on an "exemption" and he's put up three straight rounds in the 60s.  If he can hold on his whole life will change, automatic expemption on the tour, invitation to the Masters - the whole deal...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2007, 11:05:05 AM »

The 40-year-old ranks seventh on the "Nationwide" tour's money list with $153,249 in earnings. Playing this weekend on a "sponsor's" exemption, he'd take home a cool $1 million with a win today...

TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2007, 11:06:36 AM »

The money on the tour now surprised me quite a bit.   I guess I wasn't paying attention for a few years.

Why didn't me parents force me to play more sports???   Smiley
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 08:36:40 AM »

It is pretty damn impressive when you enter a major with better than a 1 in 4 chance of winning.  Tiger amassing 13 majors in 44 appearances is really something.  Five more years and he will have surpassed Nicklaus' mark.  That doesn't include the 3 U.S. Amateur Championships he took between 94 and 96.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 09:12:10 PM »

It is pretty damn impressive when you enter a major with better than a 1 in 4 chance of winning.  Tiger amassing 13 majors in 44 appearances is really something.  Five more years and he will have surpassed Nicklaus' mark.  That doesn't include the 3 U.S. Amateur Championships he took between 94 and 96.

I'm a Tiger fan, but I'm also very "wait and see" as to whether or not he will surpass Jack.  Jack started strong also and then the wins started coming much slower as he aged.  I think Tiger keeps himself in incredible condition and he clearly has a superior mental toughness, but the new players coming in also have the benefit of new training techniques and sports psychology.

Phil just took Tiger on Day 4 this past weekend -- which oh so rarely happens...   

I don't think it is a given that Tiger can keep up the pace.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2007, 09:14:32 PM »

Nicklaus also had several amateur wins including at least one Amateur championship - I don't know the exact totals.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2007, 07:21:35 PM »

Tiger has won over $20MM so far this year...

TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2007, 01:49:10 PM »

Now that I'm about to be a man of leisure again, I believe I will renew my personal trauma with golf and start playing more frequently again -- perhaps weekly.

Does anyone else play?  I would be interested in hearing about nice course in other parts of the country...  especially if you know of a really nice course that is a bargain by comparison...

ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2007, 02:45:34 PM »

I'd like to help you out, cowboy, but my recent return to the driving range and the pitch 'n putt has reminded me why I value a good round of disc golf.
ajab

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2008, 02:02:10 PM »

Well, Ajab's back after a long hiatus.  I was invited here by Ray, longtime poster at the NYT forums.  Thanks for drawing me back into the hellhole, Ray!

Some notes from Riviera Country Club, site of the 2008 Northern Trust Open (formerly the Nissan Open):

For the second year in a row, it was Ajab & Son, as Bret accompanied me on Sunday on the long 50-mile journey up the 405 from OC.  Free parking, free shuttle.  Nice touches, Northern Trust!

Purchased two tickets for $30 total from the kids running the charity drive from their driveway just outside the entrance to the course.  First time I paid to enter Riviera in a while.  All for a good cause.

Attendance had to be down about 50% from past years, owing to Tiger's absence and the holiday weekend.  Made for very enjoyable viewing all around, though Ian Baker-Finch, in his trophy presentation to champion Phil Mickelson, exhorted the gallery to "bring a friend next year."  Pathetic!

Watched Fred Couples tee off on #1, a treat we may not see much of anymore on the PGA Tour.  Sweet as ever.  Glad Bret got to see it, he now knows Couples' nickname is "Boom-Boom."  After some action around 1st green, it was off to #8.

#8 offered the closest seat to the pin of any hole I scoped out.  We watched every group that teed off at the first hole come through, about two solid hours of relaxation and entertainment.  After a few minutes, an elderly couple plopped down next to us.  20 minutes of deja vu later, I realized we had sat next to each other the previous year at the 1st green!  Small world!  They're members, and the common thread is that last year #1 green offered the closest seat to the pin.  Obviously we think alike.  I'm sure I'll bump into them next year.  Hi Bill and Mary Jane!

Fred Funk at #10, in jail behind the front bunker struggled to make his par.  Sorry JBottle, you can carry on your misogyny crusade forever, Fred Funk will always be in my mind the college coach at Maryland of my dearly departed neighbor Jim Brady, PGA teaching pro, tennis partner extraordinaire of mine.  Forgive him already.

John Daly at #10, bombing a driver that flew 300 yards, ripped a hole in the green and plummeted into the back bunker.  Par for him as well, length doesn't always produce results.  His bag reads "Grip It And Rip It."  I pointed that motto out to Bret.  Then I told him maybe it's a trademark.  "What's a trademark, Dad?"  "Ahh, we don't need to get into U.S. patent and copyright law right now, Bret."  Chuckles from those within earshot.

Time for lunch, $5 hot dogs, $5 pretzels, $8 chicken wrap.  "Can I get a soda, Dad?"  "No, we brought water bottles."  "Then you can't get a beer!"  Smart kid, he outfoxed me on that one.  No beer for me.  Dining in the grandstand on #14 green, watching the leaders come through.  Beautiful sunny day, but the sun had little warmth against the chill wind wisping in off the Pacific three miles away.  Mickelson vs. Quinney, basically match play there was so much distance between them and 3rd place.  Mickelson leaves his tee shot in the left bunker, Quinney's ball rolls through the green and settles in some trampled kikuyu.  Mickelson blasts out, his ball clears the lip by a micrometer and somehow makes it to within 6 feet.  He saves par, while Quinney takes three to get down.  Another stroke lost by Quinney, he would never threaten again.

Leaders gone, on to 18th amphitheater.  Bret recognizes 18 from the tremendous incline from tee to fairway, just another feature unique to Riviera, among the most classic of all golf courses.  500 yards later, we are again as close to the pin as humanly possible.  Nice spot to watch golf, three pretty college girls to my left and an amiable gent in a walking cast, "I broke it skiing with my supermodel girlfriend, NOT!"  Someone made a long putt, was it Scott Verplank, or did he miss a putt to lose a share of 3rd place?  Didn't much care at that point.  K.J. Choi finishes out with his family looking on from a greenside private box, whips his ball into the gallery where it's caught by a rowdy teenage boy.  Here come the leaders, Phil lying two behind the green, Quinney now behind by three -- it's all over but the shouting.  Quinney rolls in a window-dressing bird, Phil putts up to six inches, marks his ball.  Wisecracker from the top row shouts, "Relax, Phil!!!" with the knowing murmurs of laughter rippling through the gallery, the moments television cannot possibly capture.

And then it's over and the tournament muckety-mucks are all smiling and congratulating each other and Phil is struggling awkwardly to find a new way to express thoughts and emotions for the 33rd time.  Whatever, SoCal loves Phil Mickelson even if he were a deaf-mute.

For what it's worth, many recent champions at Riviera have done VERY well at Augusta.  My money's on Mickelson for his third verdant article of men's outerwear.  Only 360 days 'til Riviera.  Not long to wait for a day of heaven on Earth.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 02:05:11 PM by ajab » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: