Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 25, 2018, 11:52:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Golf  (Read 1019 times)
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2008, 05:23:44 PM »

Hey, dude. Didja carry Your DA:LY sign with you?

Nice to see you around these parts. Love to hear the stories of your father and son outings.
sgrobin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2008, 09:43:34 AM »

Hey Ajab, good to see you ‘round these here parts. 

Burnzy beat me to the DA:LY comment and you beat me to the Fred Funk comment. Man, I’m slipping.

Great story though.  Does Bret golf yet?  I take my 7-year-old to the driving range but we haven’t gone on an actual golf course yet.  Maybe this year. 
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2008, 10:20:59 AM »

Say, Ray. Just may be a good time to get the little one out on a course.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/nyregion/21golf.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

The total number of people who play has declined or remained flat each year since 2000, dropping to about 26 million from 30 million, according to the National Golf Foundation and the Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association.

sgrobin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2008, 12:16:17 PM »

Hey Burnzy,  interesting article; thanks.  I basically stopped playing competitive golf and tennis because of kids.  Like that article references, 4 hours away from home is a lot.  I'll take the boys to the driving range and we'll play tennis together, but that's about it.  I keep saying that I'm going to get out there, but I never do.  I do get the itch to get out there though; maybe this year.   

ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2008, 01:46:04 PM »

Well, you don't need me to tell you that the children are more important, but I hope you can find the time to indulge yourself.
ajab

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2008, 01:48:50 PM »

Hey, dude. Didja carry Your DA:LY sign with you?

Nice to see you around these parts. Love to hear the stories of your father and son outings.

Thanks Mr. Burnz, spreading the love!  And no, the DA:LY sign is in storage until Long John threatens again.  No other way for me to get it on TV.  But I do wonder if he knows.
ajab

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2008, 01:52:52 PM »

Hey Ajab, good to see you ‘round these here parts. 

Burnzy beat me to the DA:LY comment and you beat me to the Fred Funk comment. Man, I’m slipping.

Great story though.  Does Bret golf yet?  I take my 7-year-old to the driving range but we haven’t gone on an actual golf course yet.  Maybe this year. 

Glad you liked the account, SG.  JBottle must have set some kind of a record for getting hung up on a single topic.  Unreal.

I first took Bret out for a real round of golf when he was 4-going-on-5.  We play the same course every time, Heartwell GC in Long Beach, CA.  It's a par-3 course, longest hole 140 yards.  He can now drive greens and he hits about 25% in reg, but I let him play them as par-4s.  We don't keep score anyway.  His biggest thrill is still driving the golf cart (when the marshall is not around).  Par-3 courses keep it real for both of us.  Loads of fun and cheap too!  Take your boy out when the ground thaws.  Grin
ajab

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2008, 01:53:47 PM »

Say, Ray. Just may be a good time to get the little one out on a course.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/nyregion/21golf.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

The total number of people who play has declined or remained flat each year since 2000, dropping to about 26 million from 30 million, according to the National Golf Foundation and the Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association.

The petering-out of the Tiger Effect.  Fine with me!

ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2008, 08:10:26 AM »

WooHoo! Justin made the final four.
merrrtz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2008, 10:11:06 AM »

ajab...

The petering-out of the Tiger Effect.  Fine with me!

Speaking of petering out... it's tough to be 48.

Late last fall, a pain that I'd been feeling throughout spring and summer '07 in my left groin, hip, and buttocks became more pronounced... especially during rounds of golf.

A couple of X-rays, and a visit to an orthopedic, and it's looking like left hip replacement.

It's hard for righties like Tiger and me to make that weight transfer to left side without the necessary bionics. Well... me, anyway.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 10:13:55 AM by merrrtz » Logged
ajab

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2008, 12:29:17 PM »

48!  Wow, how time passes.  Sorry to hear of the hip trouble, merrtz.  My daughter is interested in running now, she likes individual sports like horseback riding and running.  Running is good.  Running is cheaper.  Plus, I join her now in her quest to reduce her time in the mile.  And I'm down to 200 lbs. for the first time in 15 years!  Hard on the knees though.
merrrtz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2008, 01:27:41 PM »

48!  Wow, how time passes.  Sorry to hear of the hip trouble, merrtz.  My daughter is interested in running now, she likes individual sports like horseback riding and running.  Running is good.  Running is cheaper.  Plus, I join her now in her quest to reduce her time in the mile.  And I'm down to 200 lbs. for the first time in 15 years!  Hard on the knees though.

Thanks ajab.

Yes. Running is good... in moderation.

I'm hearing that the running that I did (while holding the rock) on the high school and college gridiron is at least partially responsible for my current hip problems. And, the running I've maintained to keep my weight under 200 all these years has also contributed to the demise of this very important joint for golf.

At this stage... I just want to be able to get around 18 holes!

Good on you for getting down to two bills. Keep it up!
ajab

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2008, 04:52:17 PM »

PGA Tour "Tiger-Proofs" Fedex Cup:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/02/sports/golf/02link.html?ref=sports

Wow.  I am flabbergasted.  Separate and unequal.

Not that I care about stupid year-end trophies.  But the nakedness is astonishing.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2008, 11:31:02 PM »

I thought handicaps were for amateur golfers. And Thursday night bowling leagues.
sgrobin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2008, 03:33:39 PM »

New book on the rivalry between Arnie and Jack: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/10/AR2008041003381.html

It looks pretty interesting; according to the above review, it argues that their rivalry extended into business, where Palmer excelled and Nicklaus didn’t.

Maybe this is interesting to only me, but the review was written by a noted peace activist.  Colman McCarthy grew up around the game and loved it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: