Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 22, 2018, 09:13:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29
  Print  
Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 5185 times)
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: April 15, 2007, 09:42:04 PM »

Discuss the latest tourney.
sgrobin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 12:00:40 PM »

Hey, I'm the first non-admin person to post. Cool.
solrac

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 10:45:18 AM »

SGrobin,

How's it going.  I went to post in NYT forum and she's a goner.  Not much going on here.  I used to post occasionally on the NYT forum, then quit posting.  Actually I was hoping to discuss the NBA, but unless you're a Knicks fan, not much going on here with NBA.  Take it easy!!

Go Jazz!! 
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 09:49:55 PM »

That Jazz Warriors series looks to be the most fun to watch in the 2nd round.  I'll talk NBA if you start posting there.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
sgrobin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 10:21:06 AM »

Hey Solrac, how goes it? Yup, too bad about the NYT forums. Sorry, I'm a Sixers fan, and just a casual one at that.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 07:36:26 AM »

That was a novel way to try to resolve the grass king vs. the clay king debate.  Interesting that it was Federer who missed a shot on grass to lose that close match.  But, once again Federer gets knocked off the clay courts of Rome.
sgrobin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 04:41:20 PM »

Dzimas, did you catch the match? I couldn't see it here. Was it well-played, or was it error-filled?
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 02:57:17 AM »

Seemed like a novelty act more than anything else, grobin.  I don't think either one took the match that seriously.
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 08:53:05 PM »

There appears to be a resurgence in the amount of clay courts and soft surfaces. I just hate it when the WTA players fall on the hard surfaces and get injured.  Damn -- it burns me up when that happens! Therefore, it is great to see that the WTA will protect its players by mandating softer surfaces. 

Another advantage is that these slow the pace of the ball down and this makes for a better game. Players will rely less on power, and rely more on skill.  This indeed makes for a better game!!

''Love much & be forgiven''

- - - Margaret Fuller
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 02:17:54 AM »

I think each surface has its advantages.  Personally, I like watching the serve and volley game so Wimbledon remains my favorite of the Grand Slams, where the grass favors this approach.  But, I realize that the audience prefers longer rallies.  Maybe if there were more clay courts in America, American men would do better at the French and Italian Open.  Doesn't seem to bother the ladies, who avoid the serve and volley game like the plague.  Hard to believe given the incredible success of Navratilova.
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 08:19:23 PM »

Hey, I'm the first non-admin person to post. Cool.

I might've guessed.

Hey, SG. Nice digs here.
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 01:43:15 PM »

Well, well. 2-6, 6-2, 6-0. Federer finally beat Nadal in a clay match. Maybe Roger just likes Germany a whole bunch. When I saw the third set bagel I wondered if Nadal had suffered some sort of injury or illness. But I've read two accounts of the match so far (the ATP site and BBC) and neither mentioned anything being physically wrong with Rafa. The ATPtennis.com article had this interesting bit, though:

After a lackluster first set in which he faced break points in his first three services games and lost five consecutive games, Federer changed course and took the attack to his arch rival. The Swiss stepped into the court to respond more aggressively to high topspin groundstrokes directed to his backhand, and clipped a steady stream of crushing forehand winners. He hit 31 winners to Nadal's 20, including six aces, and made fewer unforced errors (31 to 34). He regularly came to net and often had Nadal pinned deep behind the baseline and running side to side.

In a telling statistic that reflected Federer's aggressive approach, only seven points in the final two sets lasted 10 strokes or more.

Sounds as if Fed is adapting his style of play to a clay court rather than trying to beat Nadal at his own game. In prior clay matches between the two there was usually some mention of a high number of forehand errors from Roger and that's his strongest weapon.
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 12:09:48 AM »

University of Georgia has some of the NCAA tennis online at:

http://www.georgiadogs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8800&ATCLID=878683

I watched several of the girls matches and they had very long rallies.  College women's tennis has evolved in recent years and it is now far more entertaining than it was in Lisa Raymond's {University of Florida} time when, in all honesty, it was a crashing bore. There is no audio to these broadcasts but the action is quite good.

''Love much & be forgiven''

- - - Margaret Fuller
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 02:47:49 AM »

I didn't see the match either, earl, so I was surprised to read that Federer was able to take Nadal relatively easily, especially after having such a tough time reaching the finals.  Keeping the rallies short seemed the obvious path to take, surprised he hadn't figured that out before.  Seems Federer is bound and determined to win the French Open this year.
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2007, 07:38:14 PM »

I've always relished discussions like this one from today's NY Times. Who has the best shots in the game?:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/26/sports/tennis/26shotsintro.html?ref=tennis

Not surprising that the top players are the most frequently mentioned. In general, a guy toiling with a ranking in the triple digits wouldn't be toiling in the triple digits for very long if he had the best forehand in the game. That said, even though Tim Henman is closer to retirement than he is to his prime, I enjoyed seeing his name in the Volley category.

Federer doesn't even get a mention in either First Serve or Second Serve? Something is off there. But, except for Two-Handed Backhand he was listed in every other category, so that's something.

Great comment about Serena under Mental Toughness: "Self-belief personified"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29
  Print  

Jump to: