Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 23, 2018, 09:01:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29
  Print  
Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 5189 times)
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2007, 03:54:30 PM »

Serena Williams > Bulgaria's Tsvetana Pironkova after an extensive rain delay.

Getting your rhythm back after a delay can be a major challenge but she did it!

Here's a treat: http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/photos/index.html

scroll on down to 'The Queens of Roland Garros'

What a fashion show!

''Love much & be forgiven''

- - - Margaret Fuller
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2007, 12:22:05 PM »

Even after she lost the first set, there didn't seem to be a lot of suspense about Serena eventually winning her first-round match yesterday. When Pironkova was ahead 5-2 in the first set she had a couple oppotunities to close it out and blew them. She finally did win the first set 7-5, but by then it was apparent that Serena was beginning to figure out her opponent's game as well as find her own form.

Some are saying the heavier conditions will help Federer. Who knows?

Is it just a given that the Men's final will be Federer vs Nadal? I mean, it's electric when those two face off against eachother, don't get me wrong. And when they do play I think their matches provide the best our sport has to offer to its fans, but it can get kind of boring the rest of the tournament waiting for that final to come. Meanwhile, the Women's draw has a lot of intriguing possible matches in the second week. It's a strange contrast. The Women's side looks like a more interesting tournament as a whole, while the Men's side looks rather bland until a potentially thrilling climax. Maybe I'm wrong.
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2007, 11:41:30 PM »

NCAA Div I final:

Audra Cohen > Lindsey Nelson  7-5, 6-2

Lindsey lost her composure and Audra aggressively took advantage of it. Like most of the matches in the tourny, there were long volleys. There did not appear to be many aces and that's what I prefer - a skill game rather than power game.

Will be interesting to see if both girls make it to the ITF soon. Hopefully, there will be a  career in the WTA for both.

There was no FO coverage in this region today and  I wonder if any matches were played.  Will check tomorrow.

- - - Margaret Fuller
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 08:01:58 AM »

NCAA college girls photos:

http://www.georgiadogs.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?PALBID=11712&DB_OEM_ID=8800&PAGE_ID=27&ZID=590199

Great display of sportsmanship!

Had the tournament been shown on nationwide TV, it would have generated a great deal of attention in the sport.

- - - Margaret Fuller
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 08:25:12 AM »

College tennis gets virtually no attention in the sports media, which is too bad, given some of the great names that came out of college tennis like John McEnroe, who spent a year at Stanford.
sgrobin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2007, 04:32:10 PM »

I'd been preoccupied with things other than tennis over the last few years but have been trying recently to re-develop my interest - both at the pro level and personally. I do think this Federline guy is special, for instance. But I was really bummed out to see that the Tennis Channel has such significant French Open presence since I don't get it. Oh well.

Hey, Hamlet; how goes it?

PS - just kidding about the Federline quip.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 07:42:38 AM »

I see Roddick is out of the French Open once again.  He supposedly was determined to make it to the second week this time around, but it doesn't seem that he makes the least effort to adapt his game to clay.  With Connors coaching him, you think he would have made a few changes, but it doesn't seem that Connors is helping him at all.  Just one of those high profile match-ups that is supposed to make everyone say, ooh, ahh!  but it is the same old Andy Roddick.
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 09:25:21 PM »

Dzimas - Agreed about Roddick. There is very little about his game that is different since his association with Connors began. As I said back on the old NYT site, maybe he comes into net once or twice more per set than he used to, probably because he remembers, "Oh yeah, that's right, I should go tot he net more." And it's not as if he's stunk up the court since Connors started coaching him. He made the final at the US Open and the semis of the Aussie Open; lost both to Federer. It's just that there doesn't seem to be improvement. He likely would have gotten the same results without Connors in his corner.

Speaking of the same results, all American men lose in the first round at Roland Garros.

Apropos of nothing, I happened to be out Saturday night and at a place that was showing the Ultimate Fighting Championship mixed martial arts thing live from Las Vegas. I had no idea before I went there that it was even happening because I don't care about stuff like that. But the bar was a loud place and then all of a sudden all eyes in the joint turn to the TV screens. It was hard to ignore, so I figured what the heck, I'll watch. The fight turned out to be a bust, a first-round knockout. (Pity the poor schlubs who shelled out $$ to see it on pay-per-view.) Before the fight, however, the TV cameras there caught some of the celebrities in Vegas for the fight. Well, waddya know? Right there in the front row were Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf.
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2007, 10:55:49 PM »

128 mph serve:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/tennis/la-sp-tennis31may31,1,3864503.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

What power!  This with the skill, stamina, conditioning, and preparation is what has made both Williams girls into winners.

- - - Margaret Fuller
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2007, 05:08:35 PM »

I've been enjoying the NCAA college girls softball playoffs and marvel at some of the changes in the game:  first, the term 'screwball' is now used when it used to be called 'insweep' in the old days; second, because of the metallic bats and exit speed of the batted balls, the short stop is forced to play back about 20 feet from where she used to play - as a result several runners ran out ground balls hit to that position; third, the strike zone has been shrunk and pitchers now routinely throw over 100 pitches per game -- in my day I rarely pitched more than 70 or 80 pitches per game; because of the smaller strike zone, metallic bats, and more foul balls, the game is now about 2 hours in length --- again, in my day it was only about 55 minutes to one hour.

Thus, the game is not as much fun as it used to be but it still is quite good. The best proof of that is the huge crowds at those playoff games.

Today, I watched the following match:

DePaul > Arizona State 3-1 with Tracie Adix defeating Katie Burkhart. Sandy Vojik hit a 2 run HR to win it.  A real nice match!

- - - Margaret Fuller
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2007, 09:16:37 PM »

WTF? Mark Philippoussis is starring in a lame reality dating show called "Age of Love" which is basically a ripoff of "The Bachelor," another lame reality dating show?

http://www.nbc.com/Summer/Age_of_Love.shtml

Perhaps the most irritating part of this is that I had to learn how to spell his last name correctly again. I had consigned that info to the recycle bin of my brain at least four or five years ago. I mean, seriously, WTF?
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2007, 12:22:20 PM »

Sorry for  straying from tennis to softball here just as we used to stray into UCI cycling in the old days.  I hope that is OK with everyone. Smiley

- - - Margaret Fuller
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2007, 03:25:40 PM »

Sorry for  straying from tennis to softball here just as we used to stray into UCI cycling in the old days.  I hope that is OK with everyone. Smiley

The occasional diversion is fine by me as long as the main thrust of the thread stays geared toward Tennis. I just worry that if you keep discussing NCAA Women's Softball that it might prove to be a one-way conversation for you.

Patty Schnyder disappointed big-time today. She let opportunity after opportunity slip away. Sharapova is like the creature from the monster movies: you can't just wound it; you have to kill it or it will come back and kill you. Now the only one I can see stopping Maria from getting to the final is maybe Kuznetsova and she could be either brilliant or atrocious depending on the alignment of the stars on that particular day.

Maybe you can tell I don't like Sharapova much. Sometime during last year's US Open she transformed from a player I had no strong feelings about either way into a player I actively root against in almost every match. I dunno, maybe it's the dad. Whatever it is, the Roland Garros crowd seems to agree with me. They were booing her with remarkable gusto, which didn't stop her from blowing kisses north, south, east and west after she won.

At least Sharapova/Schnyder was the rare live match from NBC. I was following the scores online and was pleasantly surprised when NBC's broadcast began and picked it up at the same place in real time.

Interesting that only one of the top 8 women's seeds (#5 Mauresmo, not a shock) failed to make the quarters. The second week should have some high-level matches.
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2007, 08:41:50 PM »

Wish I could see this match between these two veterans. The Doubles groupie in me is rooting for Bjorkman just a little, especially as he is still alive in both the Singles and Men's Doubles draws, but I like both guys. Whover wins it will likely get smoked by Nadal in the next round, so the moment of victory will be short.
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2007, 09:41:32 PM »

one-way conversation

Yeah, I am mindful of that.

As for Masha's match vs Patty, I was surprised to see the audience on her opponent's side for the first time.  She is so beautiful that she often has the audience in the palm of her hand.  And it was classy of her to blow kisses to the people despite the booing that took place.

BTW, has anyone heard from Birko?  I miss his posts on UCI and his many witty statements. Smiley

- - - Margaret Fuller
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29
  Print  

Jump to: