Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 27, 2018, 12:55:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: NASCAR  (Read 2428 times)
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 10:58:05 AM »

Daytona is all about the drafting. With the cars having this new higher signature profile and the slightly larger restrictor plate, they seem to bounce around a little more than they used to. With the draft affecting them much more than in the past.

dichotomous

“To paraphrase Oedipus, Hamlet, Lear, and all those guys, "I wish I had known this some time ago.” Roger Zelazny, Sign of the Unicorn
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 01:06:25 PM »

Nobody really cares about NASCAR here.  Indy cars are far more interesting:

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 03:41:35 PM »

...Where the star are bright
Dum, dum, dum dum
Deep in the Heart of Texas ...

Where "Gentlement, Start Your Engines" rings out against a clear blue sky,

The ROAR, as the engines snap to attention,

Then,

Boogity, boogity, boogity

As the green flag waves!
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 11:47:34 AM »

Gentlement?

weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 09:16:31 PM »

Oops, Gentlemen, Start Your Engines!
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 04:58:31 PM »

WRONG!!!

Your worst nemesis, Weezo, is watching the Budwiser Shootout wondering who she will root for this year. Dale, Jr, not as handsome as his father, could be a choice - Jeff Gordon is interesting as a winner.

And, "remember when everyone booed him" Darryl is back sportcasting with his "boogity, boogity, boogity" again. The group that sang the National Anthem were horrid, but, as hubby quipped, better than when Roseanne did it a few years back.

And, remember, Utley, Nascar Racing is the sport of GENTLEMEN DRIVERS! Is that the reason you don't like it?

Don't flatter yourself. I don't have a nemesis. The fact that you are watching NASCAR indicates that shopping at Walmart is dumbing you down---further.

One continuous left turn is not a sport.

Beats shopping at target or Macy's and spending more for the same item. Basically just because you don't want to rub elbows with the lowlife crowd.

On the flipside I guess the perks are that you can abuse the help to make you feel ever so much more superior.

Oh, and I would imagine turning left as fast as possible(150mph) without doing a 360 is probably not quite as easy as you think. Even though you get to do it 4 or 5 hundred time a race. I'm not so much an egotist to kid myself that out of 43 drivers in the race I have do doubt as to where I would probably finish if I tried it. 43rd, and probably with a very large headache.(If I was lucky)

dichotomous

“To paraphrase Oedipus, Hamlet, Lear, and all those guys, "I wish I had known this some time ago.” Roger Zelazny, Sign of the Unicorn
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 10:05:47 PM »

Basically just because you don't want to rub elbows with the lowlife crowd.

I don't think you know me well enough to say that, asswipe.

weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 10:41:18 PM »

Utley,

I agree that you are not likely to look down your nose at "lowlife", but considering the cost of tickets, you are more likely to meet more lowlives at the ballfield than a racetrack, no matter what you are racing.

CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2008, 11:57:43 AM »

Basically just because you don't want to rub elbows with the lowlife crowd.

I don't think you know me well enough to say that, asswipe.

LOL

dichotomous

weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2008, 12:05:24 PM »

It was a beautiful night for racing last night in Richmond, and the sport was at is shiney and suspenceful best. The rain that was supposed to move in later, seems never to have arrived.

How many times we sat in the stands at Richmond, often under the only piece of shade available (that was when Richmond was always run in the daytime), and watched Bobby Allison race Richard Petty and Darryll Waltrip make an *ss of himself! We used to pay $30-35 for start-finish line reserved seats, and now the tickets are about $100.

Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2008, 12:37:50 PM »

It was a beautiful night for racing last night in Richmond, and the sport was at is shiney and suspenceful best. The rain that was supposed to move in later, seems never to have arrived.

How many times we sat in the stands at Richmond, often under the only piece of shade available (that was when Richmond was always run in the daytime), and watched Bobby Allison race Richard Petty and Darryll Waltrip make an *ss of himself! We used to pay $30-35 for start-finish line reserved seats, and now the tickets are about $100.

Yes...I've also been to races here in Michigan.  Ticket prices....what to think?  On the one hand, you are glad that racing has taken off, on the other, it's sort of like a favourite old cafe that has been discovered.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2008, 01:20:38 PM »

Laurie,

You put things so succinctly. It is nice to see the pretty new cars with a single main sponsor, a company you've heard of, and the drivers sometimes doing ads for their sponsors, but it has become a bit less of a "blue collar" gathering. We had had tickets for the same seats for some 7-8 years when Steve lost his eye and we were too broke to buy the tickets in time to keep our seats, so we lost them. But, during those years, we were in the same spot every Richmond race, right on the aisle where the winners walked up to the press box --- got to shake a lot of happy hands that way! But, I wonder if fans get to crowd up for autographs after a race. I've still got a Bobby Allison hat that he signed after a win at Richmond. Steve was sure I would be overlooked since I'm small, that he actually pushed me into Bobby's car, on the floorboard and the man had to help me up to get his autograph!

Ah, the good old days!
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 12:20:34 PM »

Yeah, in those days if you were a Davey Allison fan then Waltrip was an ass. If you were a Waltrip fan then Davey Allison was a whiny snot nosed entitled to fame cuz of his daddy brat. Davey had a large case of the Jones for Darrel that was for sure.

Speaking of the "old days", I remember when they actually used to still sell tickets on raceday in Martinsville. Don't know if they do that anymore. Probably not. I remember watching the folks down in turn four getting peppered with rubber that was flying over the fence. Cool place.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 12:24:12 PM by CaptainCargo » Logged

dichotomous

weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 12:32:41 PM »

Yeah, Martinsville!

We went to a race there years ago. Don't remember who won - probably Bobby ... We went to a spring race there, and the racetrack was decked out in beautiful flowers. It was a beautiful track, compare to Richmond which had been just an extention of the state fairgrounds in Richmond.

My good friend and colleague was a Richard Petty fan. Of course, no matter how good any other driver is, they could never compare to the King! She even had her license plate say "43 For Me". She may still have that license plate on her car.
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 12:42:38 PM »

Wow. Maybe she can get an oil stain on her favorite t-shirt next time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: