Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 18, 2018, 10:32:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37
  Print  
Author Topic: Film Trivia  (Read 5660 times)
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: November 18, 2007, 09:57:18 AM »

What's your favorite holiday movie?  What's your least favorite?
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 02:06:14 PM »

I'm looking forward to renting "Fido," a film from British Columbia that applies some of the perspective of "Lassie" and Douglas Sirk type 50s melodramas to the subject of zombies which can be tamed and trained as house servants.   I'm not sure, but this strikes me as a very festive and fun way to approach the winter solstice based holidays.  I've heard that Billy Connolly plays an excellent zombie, and there's a strong supporting cast including Carrie-Anne Moss and Dylan Baker.

It just sounds heart-warming, and that's what I like during the darkest days of the year.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 02:20:37 PM »

"A Christmas Story" is my favorite.  Nailing down a firm commitment from Santa Claus for a B-B gun is not as easy as it seems.  I know the movie by heart, including how the house looks with the stockinged leg lamp in the window, but for the life of me, right now, I can't recall the actors names.
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 04:04:21 PM »

Peter Billingsley (wonder if he's any kin to Barbara Billingsley who I think played Beaver Cleaver's mom) was Ralph, Darren McGavin & Melinda Dillon were the parents, have forgotten the rest. It is a fave at our house too, but probably my fave for the whole season is Barry Levinson's wonderful Avalon.  Check it out, and remember "Don't cut the toikey" until everyone's there.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 04:44:03 PM »

My favorite Christmas movie is The Apartment.  Nothing like an attempted suicide by Seconal overdose on Chirstmas Eve to get me in the proper frame of mind for the holidays!

What does it matter?  All is grace.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 04:44:23 PM »

Thanks, Nytemps.  I've got "Avalon" but I haven't looked at it in ages.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 08:57:13 PM »

"Die Hard" - a classic case of the "the bad guy(s) make(s) the action picture" tenet.  It's got the Christmas thing going throughout the movie, but when "Ode To Joy" plays as they break the 7th lock on the safe and it opens and they gaze upon the door opening, that was one of many perfecto moments in the movie.  Yeah, you're rooting for Bruce Willis (and he's great in it) to save the day, but you still get a chill, nice moment, etc., when the bad guys manage to get the safe open.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 01:54:12 AM »

I saw the Charlie Rose interview of the Coens, Bardem, and the other fella...

...and I like Charlie, but he's like, I've talked to a lot of people who have played "bad guys," and they find some thing, something, that they like...

[silence]

No, yes, no, I guess it's the HUMANITY that we...

I don't know I just thought it was funny that Charlie was trying to make an evidently malevolent force out to be something that it's not, meaning "malevolent."

It struck me funny, because you could see the Coens, etc., trying to help him in a good-natured way, but sort of captivated by their understanding of the material, that is, I guess, if you are playing the Devil you don't have too many redeeming qualities, none that redeem you, and probably not too many to recommend you to others...
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 02:00:05 AM »

"Die Hard," by the way, was emotionally made on the fact that Bruce Willis runs across glass, that is a construction of the imagination that brings everybody with feet into the movie, it's not only odd and visceral and original, but sorta, "WOW," if you are a movie geek, and thinking "I already like this guy, but now, Shane Black, you are on the board and you owe me a Cadillac like nice touch, well done.
Urethra_Franklin

Make Brook our Rook

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 02:04:19 AM »

"Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

--Thomas Jefferson
Urethra_Franklin

Make Brook our Rook

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 02:05:46 AM »

What's your favorite holiday movie?  What's your least favorite?

The "holiday" you're referring to is Christmas, right?

--Thomas Jefferson
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 02:07:52 AM »

"Die Hard," by the way, was emotionally made on the fact that Bruce Willis runs across glass, that is a construction of the imagination that brings everybody with feet into the movie, it's not only odd and visceral and original, but sorta, "WOW," if you are a movie geek, and thinking "I already like this guy, but now, Shane Black, you are on the board and you owe me a Cadillac like nice touch, well done.

The only thing is that walking across glass is so trite, that only a young teenager might be wowed by such an act, especially given the nature of the movie.  That said, Die Hard was better than most action flicks in that John McClane had to rely on his wits more than firepower to out-maneuver Hans Gruber.  I had forgotten it was set during the Christmas season.
Urethra_Franklin

Make Brook our Rook

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 02:43:42 AM »

--Thomas Jefferson
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 10:31:18 AM »

Also trite, in the whole barefoot-action-hero theme, is when the hero finally grabs a pair of shoes off a corpse. 

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 02:33:15 PM »

May I weigh in with a recent (2005),The Family Stone, for Dermot Mulroney and Claire Danes?

Forget about the potential mother-in-law played by Diane Keaton  who has a lovely bunch of boys and girls in her household who know the drill. Don't you? Or, don't you come from a "large family"? She has trained her female offspring to snicker sarcastically just like herself.

On the good side of this film besides the humor which is set in a lovely snowfall landscape of small town America somewhat north of where ever you are when this beautiful girl arrives on a bus to visit her fiance's family for Christmas.  Let this be a lesson to you if you have not been there/done that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37
  Print  

Jump to: