Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 20, 2018, 08:37:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40
  Print  
Author Topic: Film Trivia  (Read 9620 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2007, 07:24:02 PM »

Nope, I missed that one weezo. I got about as far as Bringing up,Baby --
while checking out Kate Hepburn's past filmography other than what I had seen contemporaneously.  You to can visit: www.imdb.com (and try to remember the year when you first saw that one...). 

I was less entranced with her "younger" movies but she did look good in the stills posing in all that fabulous menswear. One got to really appreciate her, quite close to the end. When Dick Cavett convinced her, it would be fun.  And, for us, it was, hoping that it would never end.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2007, 07:26:01 PM »

The Tracy-Hepburn flick is Desk Set, featuring one of my favorites, Joan Blondell. 
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2007, 07:40:54 PM »

Yep, Harrie, you are right. Desk Set. It is one funny movie no matter how old it gets. The barest hint of sexual intrigue, but nothing you can't let the kids watch.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2007, 02:44:00 AM »

Well, I'm glad for you because I feel the same way. She was the sassiest little woman that God ever invented.

I wrote at length to tell Harrie my first hand experience in hearing Joan Blondell deliver her  flamboyant statements with great projection throughout the house because she was raised in vaudeville; but after a page of that trying to figure out why Joan was there, the computer drew a blank and made me wait and I went through all the magic tricks it demands but after the routine there was nothing on the page in the post on my screen.  it was just too much....
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2007, 10:00:20 AM »

Glad to know I'm in good company, nytempsperdu and madupont.   Freakin' amazing that you got to see Blondell in person, madupont - that must have been fun.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2007, 01:58:21 PM »

Harrie,

I really think that they should make a movie of her life with Michael Todd, but that would have to wait until Elizabeth Taylor is gone wouldn't it? I also would guess that Joan's 3 year marriage to Todd started because Gypsy Rose Lee once fell in love with him when he was still a Broadway impressario. Over the years, I've come to discover that categorically they produce more bad news in their day than Harvey could dream up for a movie but, here's suggesting.

Joan had a longer relationship than a mere 3 year marriage as she was his mistress during his first marriage and then took her to the cleaner's  (he had a habit of dipping into other people's finances) by marrying her; but developing a new relationship on the side with E.T.(mere coincidence non-intentional pun), which is why I wrack my brains as to when it was and why did I have occasion to observe Blondell make an entrance into the theatre in my neighbourhood?  (Logic now tells me,she went "back to work").

When I was a kid and first began to be able to go to movies on my own, there was a very functional movie house, which was later refurbished at some point after I had moved into the neighborhood and moved out again. It had ornate tiled walls, alcoves with elephants in them, and it was a treat to just go up the stairs at the back wall and survey the whole lobby  as you went to the balcony. Why the balcony? Because there was a ladies room on the second floor and, if you timed it right, why you could dash in there and still hear all the dialogue on the sound-track loud and clear before you dashed back to your seat.

Only two occasions stand out in my adult experience, in my memory, when they returned to presenting stage shows, this is where I could view the Kathakali dancers and Ravi Shankar concerts,1950s and pre-George Harrison; but the second social event of all time was Nosferatu with Klaus Kinski and Isabelle Adjani. That was fun, all the evil, wicked people in my life were there standing around astonished to see who else would show up that had a worse reputation than they did.  It's cult something or other.

Then one evening, I came to the theater early straight from work in a local hospital administration office, ate in the neighborhood, and went straight to the balcony. For what, I have no idea. I'm sitting there not paying any particular attention, after so many years, to the rows of Buddhas seated in their niches, eyes closed or staring down at their hands in their laps, along both walls of the Oriental when somebody enters the house and is walking along the side wall toward the fire-exit door on the right which leads back to the dressing rooms. She is carrying a little dog, because no actress worth her salt would go anywhere without a small dog. Dressed in a satin charmeuse blouse, and tight skirt, the blonde hair rolled in waves that pouffed back from her forehead to a shoulder-length styling, she didn't stop or miss a beat glancing at the far wall,"Oh,god! Graumann's Chinese!" and it was then that I realized it was Joan Blondell by recognising her voice and her delivery of the line as if she were testing the projecting necessary to this house.

It's like nytempsperdu liking Thelma Ritter, with her own memorable voice, who could forget these voices after all those movies. When I was in high-school, we all had gangs even as today, and I think that out of seven Sharpie Boppers there were only two of us who were not blondes. They all dressed like Joan Blondell.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2007, 02:14:19 PM »

“What a story! Everything but the
bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end.”
—Thelma Ritter, All About Eve (1950) 

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2007, 05:47:54 PM »

“What a story! Everything but the
bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end.”
—Thelma Ritter, All About Eve (1950) 

For some unknown reason, the name Joyce Hatto has popped into mind and I simply cannot shake it.  Such a very sad story and one wonders whether she knew the deception she practiced... 

"Born in 1928, the pianist, Joyce Hatto, was the daughter of a music-loving London antiques dealer. As a teenager, she said, she kept practicing during the Blitz, hiding under the piano when the bombs were falling. She claimed later to have known the composers Ralph Vaughn Williams, Benjamin Britten and Carl Orff, to have studied Chopin with the French virtuoso Alfred Cortot and taken advice from the pianist Clara Haskil. She was Arnold Bax’s favored interpreter for his “Symphonic Variations.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/26/opinion/26dutton.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin

« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 05:51:11 PM by Lhoffman » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2007, 02:12:24 AM »

Maybe you should have tried saying, Nadia Boulanger ?
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2007, 12:54:34 PM »

Nytemp -- I was nothing if not ironic in my "advances the concept" thumbnail of The Notebook.  Harrie's brief review nails it.   Fine actors all of them, but put to bad use.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: December 22, 2007, 09:33:18 PM »

Barton,NewsFlash. 

Popcorn is alive and well. I brought it home from  Orville's new batch, having heard about it the other day and I actually was able to get responses from people on the Aisle so to speak while making their esoteric popcorn selections. It's packaged in low-key to reassure you that they can be humble about churning out popcorn but making mistakes.

Consensus of opinion, like those little cards you fill out at the end of the movie, only ours were invisible, we don't know whether or not we got the right package, when told either Orville Redenbacher or Act II are the same production. It even pops low-key and smells low-key; but tastes great.

If anybody has any more information, throw some at us. We are in the upper third of the house toward the outside unless it is a slow night when we go to the center, see if you can hit us with your popcorn to get our attention, we'll fire some right back and meet you after the show.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: December 24, 2007, 12:28:52 PM »

Enigmatic, whimsical, and faintly buttery.  I have no idea what we're talking about.  But I got youse a xmas card (which I stole from another message board):

Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2008, 10:12:54 AM »

Watched Holiday Inn the other night.  As my father used to say, they don't make them like that any more.  I had forgotten what a cad Fred Astaire was in the movie, taking not only one but two dames from Bing, only Bing decided not to let dear Linda get away, after some good advice from Mamie.   Great movie, all the way around.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2008, 12:46:55 PM »

Anyone interested in replacing the Holiday thread with a Film Trivia thread, let me know.  If enough are interested, we could contact the sysop and see if he's up for it.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2008, 06:09:10 PM »

Anyone interested in replacing the Holiday thread with a Film Trivia thread, let me know.  If enough are interested, we could contact the sysop and see if he's up for it.

Sounds good, I'm in. If that's okay.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40
  Print  

Jump to: