Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 20, 2018, 06:49:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40
  Print  
Author Topic: Film Trivia  (Read 9617 times)
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2008, 03:21:54 PM »

Pug, and others with some film knowledge -- interested in replacing the Holiday Films thread with a Film Trivia thread?   It was a fairly active thread at the old NYT, before they deleted so many of the forums.  Someone poses a q, whoever answers it first then has the floor, and so on.

Oh, all right... He has a British accent...

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2008, 04:46:15 PM »

I take it this was a theoretical 50 foot screen repose?

It instantly brought to mind Burt Reynold's fold out in Playboy or was that a spoof on Pb ?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2008, 06:02:14 PM »

Handsome/pretty, pretty/handsome, with a British accent.....Hugh Grant?  Not really, but maybe?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2008, 06:04:29 PM »

Speaking of things trivial, Reynolds posed in Cosmopolitan, but I believe it was done as satire.   And Salma and Ed have been split for a while, I do believe. 
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2008, 08:38:31 PM »

Or Hugh's dad, Cary?  Not really, doesn't fit.
Not Leslie Howard.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2008, 09:50:25 PM »

Bill Cooke. 'Thoughts and Comments'. In The Open Society 78 (2005): 21. of Jude Law: "He has a clear-eyed, epicene handsomeness — cruel, sensuous mouth; cheekbones to cut your heart on — the sort of excessive beauty that is best appreciated in repose on a 50-foot screen."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epicene

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2008, 10:01:40 PM »

Okay, okay, but what's the answer?  (Just kidding.)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2008, 10:33:46 PM »

Harrie, I thought it might be Rupert Everett, in Stage Beauty, playing opposite Billy Crudup(playing Shirley McClain?).  Rupert is the only "recliner" that I've ever seen. But that was in in a Tom Wilkerson film. Wilkerson is by the way a marvelous cross-dresser, with more genuine heart than Billy Crudup; but that has nothing to do with Rupert Everett's performance as Charles II.

Rupert is not really epicene. He's had cosmetic surgery. He conveys a more mature reality than Jude Law.  After seeing him do all the conventional roles according to type, he finally convinced me to really, really like him, in the Wilkerson flick where Tom is the wronged husband and Rupert is the suburban woman's inability to resist temptation when dealing with the "unknown quantity".  This was in the film,Separate Lives,written by Nigel Balchin. It's a "literate" film.

And, I like him because of what we have in common, although I am not six foot four. We both had privileged childhoods, were put in the care of Benedictine monks, were trained classically on the piano, studied theatre,and manage to get ourselves expelled from various places for being insubordinate; besides, we both like men. Awfully. Jude Law just isn't my type. Would never think of asking Rupert even if I knew him. I always thought Jude was supposed to be Matt Damon's type in Ripley and it was really a matter of who would kill whom first.

But there's no accounting for taste.

pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2008, 10:49:06 PM »

And, I like him because of what we have in common, although I am not six foot four. We both had privileged childhoods, were put in the care of Benedictine monks, were trained classically on the piano, studied theatre,and manage to get ourselves expelled from various places for being insubordinate; besides, we both like men.

Oh well, my dears, I guess there's no accounting for taste...

pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: January 21, 2008, 11:11:41 PM »

What actor once remarked:

“Life is strange,” he said recently. "West Side Story was one of the high points of my career. Yet when I first saw it I was really disappointed in how I came off. Since then Fred Astaire has told me how much he admired my dancing in it. Now I see it very differently.”

Hint—he appeared in Samson and Delilah (1949) and also is in Volume 9 of Lamparski’s “Whatever Became of…?”
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 11:13:40 PM by pugetopolis » Logged

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2008, 11:39:03 PM »

It's Russ Tamblyn who happened to be in both films and is just one of those names to me, since my first thought was George Chakiris looks more like somebody who would have been in Samson and Delilah.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2008, 11:40:02 PM »

Oh, my god...he would have been a child actor! Let me run this down...
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: January 22, 2008, 11:06:56 AM »

We're off to a great start.  Thank you, Liquid Man!

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: January 22, 2008, 02:09:12 PM »

I have a problem Barton, I can't think of a thing that I want to ask. My mind is elsewhere in the danged campaign and also whether HBO on Demand still supplies former series episodes of The Wire when they already are selling the DVDs at $60 a pop. Now that's pretty trivial but about now all I want is a good movie to show at my local.

nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2008, 12:05:14 AM »

How's this?  Who was "Al Magaroolian?"
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40
  Print  

Jump to: