Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 23, 2018, 12:58:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 37
  Print  
Author Topic: Film Trivia  (Read 5749 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: February 08, 2008, 04:30:59 PM »

THE NAME SKINNER.

X-Files  has 82 episodes of Walter Skinner by Pileggi; I have an associate who had a crush on Gillian,whom Pileggi's wife understudied,whereas I only found Anderson interesting in The House of Mirth opposite that other Australian actor Anthony LaPaglia(and possibly scenes involved with Elizabeth McGovern).

I can't recall if Detective Skinner(Mel Gibson) was called by any  first name although he might have been called by other names given the characters of Million Dollar Hotel?

At the time Jeremy Davies was a winsome personality but that failed to hold true; as with Timothy Garton Ash.  Some people seem brilliant in their field, then you spot a flaw and they begin to peter out.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: February 08, 2008, 04:41:40 PM »

This is not to say that I did not find Mel Gibson's character Detective Skinner intensely interesting(I was just talking about someone like that in Movie Club; there are quirky people out there with a badge, or identification, and a gun, at what ever level of Gov't.Law Enforcement).

In fact, Mel has an affiliation that greatly resembles the character I just mentioned, as a film character,Movie Club. And I know you will find this astounding, but since his drinking problem brought him headlines of an uncommendable sort which made even aestheticians of the Arts bad rap his Apocolypto,I have gotten around to appreciating Gibson more and more as a a director and consummate actor. And I look forward to catching up with what I have overlooked because his little comedy performances from his more popular movies completely turned me off.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: February 08, 2008, 05:46:29 PM »

In which film (related to all of the above in train of thought since the main star was involved in another production related to one of the above films) did Laura Linney fulfill her role requirements by eating frosted donut holes until she had gained an appropriate 20 pounds? No wonder, I did not recognize her?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: February 08, 2008, 05:52:15 PM »

Attention: Barton,ps,tag

In what film does Jeremy Davies play the demented resident of a hotel in which one boarder thinks he's a fifth Beatle?  (question inspired by Davies' recent arrival on "Lost")

Bonus q. -- who plays the FBI agent and what does he share in common with actor Mitch Pileggi?

Now, that you mention it, J.D. could have bleached his hair and tried to approximate Brian Jones during that Million Dollar Hotel period.

NOW BACK TO MY QUESTION.., 1 ABOVE
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 12:31:31 AM by madupont » Logged
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: February 09, 2008, 11:12:53 AM »

My trivia question has been thoroughly answered by Madupont.  The floor is yours, Ms. Dupont.  And yes, it's Tim Roth and not PSH in M$Hotel.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: February 09, 2008, 05:30:15 PM »

I was just talking about someone like that in Movie Club;
there are quirky people out there with a badge, or identification,
and a gun, at what ever level of Gov't. Law Enforcement...

Oh, here we go again, honey...

I just love it... those old Beltway Mystery Movie games!!!

Those old Washington DC Film Noir Intrigues!!!!

O O O gimme that old Ministry of Fear thrills & chills again...

Time for another old HUAC drag act again?Huh

I'm all for it... I'm in a Machiavellian mood, baby....

BTW I'm not with the State Department anymore...

FDR ditched me dontchaknow after I tried to make the porter...

http://www.reformation.org/welles-confidential-magazine.html

Grin Grin Grin

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: February 09, 2008, 06:01:35 PM »

OSCAR nominee LAURA LINNEY has become a doughnut connoisseur after pigging out on glazed delicacies to gain weight for acclaimed biopic KINSEY.

The actress put on nine kilograms (20 pounds) to play sex doctor ALFRED KINSEY's homely wife in the film, and credits the weight gain on her ability to gobble one doughnut after another.

Linney has finally dropped the pounds, but she now has a lifelong love of certain doughy treats.

She explains, "It's the size, it's the shape, it's the variety. You develop special relationships with different kinds of doughnuts.

"The glazed (doughnut) is my all-time personal favourite; it's light and crispy but definitely satisfying.

"I don't like any of the cream-filled things. I'm a purist. I love the actual Dunkin' Donut. There is an actual Dunkin' Donut. There is of course the chain but there's a doughnut that they make that has a little handle on the end of it and you can use it to dunk. Divine."

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/doughnut%20delight%20for%20laura%20linney

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: February 09, 2008, 08:15:31 PM »

I was just talking about someone like that in Movie Club;
there are quirky people out there with a badge, or identification,
and a gun, at what ever level of Gov't. Law Enforcement...

Film trivia buffs who have seen this one, know it as, Breach (I'm a fan of Chris Cooper, for his versatility. Less so for Ryan Phillippe; but he did a more than adequate professional job of it). The point of my remarks had to do with the Robert Hanssen arrest coming long after the story that Pugetopolis cites, by decades to say the least, in that nothing had really changed; and, although homosexuals were being discriminated against, women had the same equal rights to be discriminated against and still do over at State lest we forget Karl Rove and the pay back for the husband who didn't cooperate with Bush on the estimation  of yellow-cake powder available in Iraq.

"former acting ambassador to Iraq Joseph Wilson wrote an op-ed in the New York Times on July 6 that exploded the claim. Wilson, who traveled to Niger in 2002 to investigate the uranium claims at the behest of the CIA and Dick Cheney's office and found them to be groundless, describes what followed this way: "Although I did not file a written report, there should be at least four documents in U.S. government archives confirming my mission. The documents should include the ambassador's report of my debriefing in Niamey, a separate report written by the embassy staff, a CIA report summing up my trip, and a specific answer from the agency to the office of the vice president (this may have been delivered orally). While I have not seen any of these reports, I have spent enough time in government to know that this is standard operating procedure."  http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0730-06.htm

Oh, here we go again, honey...

I just love it... those old Beltway Mystery Movie games!!!

Those old Washington DC Film Noir Intrigues!!!!
[/colot]

{Madupont:I'm sure you do. In fact, by now, I'm convinced; but this is not
 The Third Man}

BTW I'm not with the State Department anymore...

FDR ditched me dontchaknow after I tried to make the porter...

http://www.reformation.org/welles-confidential-magazine.html[/i]

Grin Grin Grin]quote ]

But, "honey", were you even born back then, this is Sumner Welles not Orson.
Or, were you maybe old enough to be that little buy pointing out the ditch filled with snow and Sumner?  Somehow I doubt it; but possibly, Still, it would make a good title for a movie, wouldn't it: Snow and Sumner.

How about Joel Schumacher for director?  I know a couple of gents now senior enough to carry that wardrobe and make it look good, if they could decide which one of them is taller.

You know the more that I think about it, that was probably a last dashed attempt to get rid of Sumner once and for all on the part of the department(they don't call it that for nothing).

Fourteen years after the campaign year when Eugene McCarthy and McGovern were running for the Presidency (now, that is a year more up to your speed, isn't it?), they found McGovern's daughter frozen to death one morning on a snowbank in the parking lot behind a bar near campus in Madison,Wisconsin. He knew,she "had a drinking problem" because he had one "previously" and was reputed not to drink presently.  Someone else knew and liquored her up good; since the temperature outside was probably 30 below zero windchill factor, she died of hypothermia.  To this day, he remains the anti-war spokesman; has a recent book out about Withdrawal from Iraq.

Ps. I am so glad you had to do a little outside reading sufficient to finally spell the name Kinsey correctly.  Would you like a silver star or a green star?

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 08:47:56 PM by madupont » Logged
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: February 09, 2008, 09:03:35 PM »

"I'm sure you do.

In fact, by now, I'm convinced;

but this is not The Third Man."

Oh dear me, the secret's out...

I confess... I'm the Red Queen's aide-de-camp...

I know where all those secret "Off with their heads!!!" heads are buried.

After all, I'm a chauffeur to the rich and famous...

And chauffeurs get around, my dear...

Now that that's settled, I assume I've answered
your "movie trivia" question about the donut
holes and the Fat Lady?

May I ask the next Trivia Question?

Teaser: it's about Sylvia (2003).

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 10:54:12 PM by pugetopolis » Logged

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: February 09, 2008, 09:15:14 PM »

As we all know, it's your trivia forum.    Barton may have suggested we do a trivia forum; but you took it over. You need all three of the movie forums to make your point.   We get the point by now. It's obvious just by reading this entire site.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: February 09, 2008, 09:34:01 PM »

Hardly, my dear.

You’re in a lot more Forums that I am…

You’re in Artists and Exhibitions, Comedy, Celebreality, Music, Movies, Television, Theater, History, Book News and Reviews, Creative Writing, Fiction, Latin American Literature, Meander, Myth and Ancient Literature, Nonfiction, Fiction, Fitness and Nutrition, Food Matters, Garden, Home, Pets, all of the International forums, as well as your favorites Bush Administration, National Security, Campaign Trail and the list goes on and on...

Your dominatrix dialogs in the Nonfiction Forum with Gunter Grass pretty much killed it in the water—where it languishes like Fiction with no posts. Read the Nonfiction Forum and weep...

I pretty much stick to Movies and Poetry…

pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: February 10, 2008, 08:36:42 AM »

Bukowski Multiplex
http://snipurl.com/1zdo3

Film and Online Publishing

Pug, and others with some film knowledge -- interested in replacing the Holiday Films thread with a Film Trivia thread?   It was a fairly active thread at the old NYT, before they deleted so many of the forums.  Someone poses a q, whoever answers it first then has the floor, and so on.

Barton—

When you mentioned getting a Film Trivia Forum going—I told you sure let’s do it. What I didn’t tell you was what I already found from the Movie Club Forum. It’s very difficult getting a new Forum going—especially a Film Forum.

Film discussion is pretty primitive—it’s a baboon territoriality thing. There were those in the old Movie Forum who fought the idea of the Movie Club. They wanted to just migrate over to the new forum and continue gossiping and kvetching about their favorite & most hated films. Nothing wrong with that—except Hoffman, Dzimas and I wanted to zero in on one Film at a time and actually study the historical aspects of cinema like German Weimar Film.

One can review the early phase of the Movie Club Forum and see the crummy flack we got from the resident Moviegoers. The ad hominem attacks (Person A makes claim X. Person B makes an attack on person A. Therefore A's claim is false) we got for trying to keep simply one Movie on the radar screen. It was very difficult and tiring—but it worked out okay.

The same with the Trivia Forum—it’s either going to die like Fiction and Nonfiction or morph into a viable Forum. Look at the hits and stats for the Forums:

Fiction and Nonfiction—along with a lot of the other forums—are pretty much dead. They just didn’t carry over from The New York Times Discussion Group format very well. The big winners are the Sport Forums—they’ve done very well. In terms of hits—they’ve got around 32,000 messages. About 12,000 for National, hardly any for International, Home and Garden, Health, Science and the rest—except for Meander, History, Creative Writing and last but not least Movies with 4878 hits. Within the Movie Forum the breakdown is—Movies 3528, Movie Club 1118 and Trivia 1725.

I pretty much stick with Poetry and the Movie Club. I’m basically a lover—not a fighter. I really haven’t put up much of a fight in the Gay Lib forum—it’s a dead-end street with Urethra-Franklin and MrUtely always fag-baiting the GLBT group. Meander comes and goes—although I honestly miss Donotremove and the Book Lounge.

Life goes on—the Movie Trivia Forum was a good idea. Whether it carries over from the NYTimes format or not depends pretty much on you and the others. I’m satisfied with Poetry and the Movie Club personally—mob consensus and hen-pecking aren’t at the top of my agenda.

I’m more interested in publishing my next book—The Gay Wasteland based on T. S. Eliot and contemporary GLBT poetics. Online publishing and gay lib poetry discussion thru Elba and the NYTimes has helped me immensely in my writing. I’m very grateful to Liquidsilver and Mick Sussman for the chance to do my thing—online authoring is the way of the future. You-Tube is just the beginning…think about it and then do it.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 09:20:30 AM by pugetopolis » Logged

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: February 10, 2008, 01:09:46 PM »

Good luck. 

Riffing off the Laura Linney glazed doughnut method, what did Christian Bale eat to beef up for Batman Returns?  De Niro for Raging Bull?

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: February 10, 2008, 03:39:52 PM »

OK, I'll bite (ahem, sorry) am guessing for De Niro it was pasta...is that the correct answer to half the trivia question?  Huh
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: February 10, 2008, 05:21:55 PM »

Hardly, my dear.

You’re in a lot more Forums that I am…

You’re in Artists and Exhibitions, Comedy, Celebreality, Music, Movies, Television, Theater, History, Book News and Reviews, Creative Writing, Fiction, Latin American Literature, Meander, Myth and Ancient Literature, Nonfiction, Fiction, Fitness and Nutrition, Food Matters, Garden, Home, Pets, all of the International forums, as well as your favorites Bush Administration, National Security, Campaign Trail and the list goes on and on...

Your dominatrix dialogs in the Nonfiction Forum with Gunter Grass pretty much killed it in the water—where it languishes like Fiction with no posts. Read the Nonfiction Forum and weep...

I pretty much stick to Movies and Poetry…

Ah,  my "cut and paste" activity so-called as you deemed it.  Noticeably no one was interested in the subject matter of: what happens after you have been involved in a gratuitous war because you were stupid and unable to grow up; so, they didn't vote to read Gunter Grass.  The people who had read it kept their mouths shut rather than tangle in how well you had trained your second to fill in for you when you were otherwise involved in the writing of non-poetry and watching Criterion films although unable to discuss them very well.

I had the good sense to eradicate any remarks on the history of the period of Weimar and its Untergang, from the Movie Club, after you were so crass as to insult me for providing materials.   I did likewise with background materials on same as to the education of Gunter Grass in Nonfiction forum and was glad I did, seeing how the same attitude asserted itself in the reading of Norman Mailer's last novel on what produced Hitler.

There's a good reason that you stick to Movies and Poetry, since you know little about them that is significant or anything else for that matter. Self-publication is not such a big deal by what you call "authoring" on line publishing.  On line publishing is something done by publishing houses who have edited the product which they sell to the public for profit (which means that they worked with the writer on a contract which obligates the writer to fulfill terms commensurate with the terms that the publisher is obligated to fulfill for the writer. In no way does it approach your claim for the "gay poetry link" or gaysunshine site, where one publishes unvetted by putting a buck down
as is done when vanity press publication of your own scribblings. People who actually write are familiar with those outlets.  Gay Sunshine is one of those things on line as a function of Sunshine Press which will gladly sell you the space for your use. 

I recall you mentioning it at nytimes, in regard to a San Francisco based writer,friend, or acquaintance, who taught you much about Russian lit.  However City Lights had never heard of it nor had any copies in their files of publications historic in San Fran  (by the way, Uretha_Fran and Mr.Utley are not fag-baiting anybody! You'd lie about anything where  fear of discovery gets the better of your faculties of projection).  Where some of us know poetry is an art, you are more of a con artist.  Therefore, City Lights of San Fran not having anything from the era of  pre-computerized rental space of vanity publishing(which i think that I made perfectly clear to you when you mentioned Black Sparrow Press and I informed you that it had been preserved by a sponsor who has archived it, since I certainly knew a number of those poets personally), I took a flyer that either said work  was or wasn't in the LSU collection.  It was.  Student publication, or faculty? Someone no longer with  us.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 37
  Print  

Jump to: