Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 18, 2018, 03:36:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 40
  Print  
Author Topic: Film Trivia  (Read 9560 times)
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: February 17, 2008, 11:56:23 AM »

Nice that you had mentioned that Williams, Madupont, else Pugetopolis would never have heard of it.  Here are some movies you might particularly enjoy.  And as you watch, it might be a good idea to ask yourself if the characters remind you of anyone you know.

http://www.narcissism101.com/NarcissistsinMedia/narcissistsinmov.html
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 12:11:36 PM by Lhoffman » Logged
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: February 17, 2008, 01:23:14 PM »

Just reading the URL yielded the basic tone of that posting.  I'm a gone have to take off ma belt and open a big can of Whup-Tush on y'all, if you don't take your snidery elsewhere and start playing the dang trivia game heah.

If the answerer of "CoaHTR" has no question, here is mine, moved from the previous page:

"Naming" quotes -- fill in the blanks....

Remember me?  I'm _____ ____ from the _____.  (massive alliteration occurs...)

They've got a name for people like you _ _ -- That name is called "______."

Or you can call me ___ _______, if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

My name is ____ --  _____ ____.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: February 17, 2008, 02:24:16 PM »

Apologies to you Barton.  I suck at trivia, but one of those lines refers to the His Dudeness, Duder, or El Duderino.  Not sure that all of them relate to that, though.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 02:26:50 PM by Lhoffman » Logged
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: February 18, 2008, 10:53:46 AM »

The third quote is correctly answered (El Duderino).  Three remain unsolved (and are from other films).

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: February 18, 2008, 12:08:22 PM »

Barton,

Do you or would you have a smart movie trivia question to take over presenting for me?  I have some quick shopping errands to attend to before I do anymore anything.  I'm just mad that they still haven't brought Bardem's promised movie,Love in the Time of Cholera, to the local spoiled rotten good theatre, and last night I fell asleep trying to keep up with Gabriel Byrne -- In Treatment, himself with his former analyst, as I'm already a week behind viewing the episodes, and I'm dead tired of  psychotherapy in tv serials or even on internet forums.

Of course, after I walk out the door, I will instantly recall a film that I had thought about but just as instantly forgot.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: February 19, 2008, 12:03:30 PM »

Three fill-in-blanks remain to be answered.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: February 20, 2008, 01:25:52 PM »

By popular undemand, I'm withdrawing this "Naming" quote trivia question and giving the answers.  The floor is open to anyone.

Remember me?  I'm Benny Blanco from the Bronx!

They've got a name for people like you, HI -- That name is called "recidivist."

Or you can call me El Duderino, if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

My name is Gump, Forrest Gump.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: February 23, 2008, 01:11:42 AM »

Yikes, I hated Leguizamo in that part. Othertimes he can be so lovable and funny; and then he does something like this with all the charm of a high-school kid at his first night-club.  Guzman is also not my favorite cup of tea.  You have to figure out who is my favorite actor in that production. I knew he was in there, and kept looking for him but he wasn't turning up; because I couldn't even recognize him. Was I surprised? You will be too.

Okay, play the game!
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: February 23, 2008, 08:16:33 AM »

By popular undemand, I'm withdrawing this "Naming" quote trivia question and giving the answers. 

Aw, sorry mang... I haven't checked in on Trivia in a while, so I missed your question.  You know I would have got "Recidivist... Re-peet-oh-fender..." and "So that's what you call me, or 'Duder' or 'His Dudeness' or 'El Duderino' if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

I wouldn't have gotten Carlito or Gump, but still, I like the question format - keep 'em coming!!
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: February 23, 2008, 08:22:24 AM »

Here's one - it's easily answered via Google, so try to resist the temptation.  Not that Google is cheating or anything, but in any event...

Bryan Singer's production company is called Bad Hat Harry.  Where did he get that name?

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: February 23, 2008, 11:02:20 AM »

my ordinary answer on that would be the CLINT EASTWOOD character, Dirty Harry.

As Barton says, "my bad..." because I thought he had withdrawn the question from his post and said carry-on"The floor is open to anyone."

So I replied to his Benny Blanco and asked who was my favorite actor in that production?

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: February 23, 2008, 11:08:10 AM »

"That's some bad hat, Harry."   From Jaws, spoken by the late, semi-great Roy Scheider as Chief Brody.  Excellent choice if I do say so, oilcan.

(Sorry, madupont, I didn't realize your question was a question.) 

And I'll WAG on Adrian Pasdar, aka Mr. Chick. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 11:10:24 AM by harrie » Logged
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: February 23, 2008, 11:15:07 AM »

I've seen that little "that's some bad hat, Harry" line at the close of a Singer production, but can't place the reference.

Dupont, I'm trying to think of who was in Carlito's Way who I wouldn't recognize right off....not Sean Penn, though his hair was pretty strange and made him look sorta different.  Noted off-Broadway veteran Bill Weeden, of course, but I don't think you mean him, either.   Maybe one of the Mafia guys?

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: February 23, 2008, 11:17:18 AM »

OMG, it came to me when I started thinking about Carlito's nightclub -- the guy in the wheelchair who comes in wearing a wire was....

VIGGO!

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: February 23, 2008, 12:38:37 PM »

Nope, Harrie's right, she knows what I like and, you know, Harrie, I never was a daytime soap tv follower where he gained much of his following. He was a local boy who had gone through apprenticeship at the Peoples Light Theatre company in Malvern, on your way down the Main Line into Philadelphia where his father, an Iranian, was on surgical staff in some hospital (his Mother is Russian; and thus the attraction to Ms.Maines).

But Barton, I will note that Viggo did a more excellent job back in '93, as Lalin, than any of his recent performances. When you can stand up to Pacino, while in a wheel chair, you are a pretty good actor! I never liked Pacino, thus the opening shot with the mascara on the eyelashes as he lays dying, and the touch up on the sideburns,beard,etc. so that the film impression or lighting would be sufficient as he fades, as Harrie might say, was "gross".

Note, having seen Sean Penn do this several times, although I sometimes mix it up with the other film in which Michelle Pfeiffer is the emotionally stoned perfect companion, I too was now old enough to find his hairdo less amusing and looked closely  for the wig lines and make-up lines.  I mean, when you are young, it's "Look at that! Isn't Sean Penn the greatest!" and, in a way he is with each new film.

But you were right about maybe one of the mafia guys, I simply did not recognize Adrian Pasdar at the point where Pacino passes him in the hall and notes,"I'm supposed to not notice that something about the face and the uniform don't fit" which is all internal dialogue as the film moves in narration with Pacino silently on the way to the hospital bedroom to visit Kleinfeld(Penn) and do him in with matured experienced street tricks.

When I was younger, I hadn't yet realized how quickly Kleinfeld's character deteriorated in morality as Penn played him, and was exactly as Carlito Charlie Brigante kept warning him (this was a film written by a judge from his memoirs -- although believe it or not and this went by me as well, the judge in the movie for the opening scene is Paul Mazursky whose film, Enemies: A Love Story,     I believe is an important film that was dumped on by somebody in forums commentary in general. It is excellent Angelica Huston and Ron Silverman).

Anyway, I spend the whole film,Carlito's Way, on the look out for Adrian Pasdar who is Frankie Taglialucci through-out the brilliant  shots of the old familiar train station, where Al Pacino ducks with teen-age street smarts perfected decades ago everytime Pasdar comes on camera, especially the escalator as somebody: oilcanboyd or jbottle noted, I mean-- I could not even descend one of those now! -- and the subway chase which took me right back to Manhattan and made me ask,"What in the world was I doing there back then? It's much too dangerous!" which is why Brian De Palma  really excells at  inventing with murky, mysterioso mood.  I confess, I was emotionally at the level of Penelope Miller at that age( I do believe they always use the same building and same dance rehearsal studio for every film made about ballet dance companies, although Pacino played the scene of observing in the rain very touchingly; Penelope on the other hand excellently plays the first meeting and first conversation in some cafe, true to naivete).

Okay, so though Taglialucci riles with unsuppressed rage in the El Paraiso club while Brigante grabs the money behind the bar and slips out the secret exit to the alley, I still do not recognize Adrian Pasdar, not until the credits can I believe this is Adrian.

I fell in love with this actor, the day that I caught him in: The Pompatus of Love     and thought I was watching a performance of a young Tony Curtis, with very much lighter blond hair! Adrian Pasdar had studied early Curtis, perfected the voice enunciation and timbre to play this really dumb, cute guy, just one of the boys discussing what is wrong about how to relate to women.  Now, I understand, he has a following from tv series, Heroes, which I saw with my Japanese sister in law over a year ago but thereafter neglected to make a habit of watching.

Here's looking at you, I wouldn't recognize any of you either if I ran into you; only by your interests and speech rhythms as you type them into the computer!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 12:44:47 PM by madupont » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 40
  Print  

Jump to: