Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 23, 2018, 12:05:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 40
  Print  
Author Topic: Film Trivia  (Read 9653 times)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: February 23, 2008, 12:55:03 PM »

Didn't see Harrie's post until I'd posted mine -- definitely need to rent "Jaws" again, it's been too many years and it's a good time to honor Scheider with a retrospective.  He always looked good in a marine environment -- in the 90's, I think, I saw him in a tv series of brief duration, running a futuristic submarine.  If anyone can remember the title sans google (I can't), that would show mnemonic skills suitable for this thread.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: February 23, 2008, 01:03:49 PM »

correction -- to my surprise, this series was not of "brief duration" but went nearly 60 episodes.  If Harrie has a question, it's her turn, so this can be ignored. 

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: February 23, 2008, 02:10:35 PM »

Nope, I'm in and out today, so I cede the floor to barton and Mr. Scheider.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: February 23, 2008, 07:22:25 PM »

So I replied to his Benny Blanco and asked who was my favorite actor in that production?

Whoops - sorry about the floor foul - I didn't see the question (which is clearly there) in your post.

Speaking of Pasdar, does anyone else think "Near Dark" is overrated?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: February 23, 2008, 08:58:32 PM »

Near Dark sounds strangely familiar, but I can't say that I've seen it.  It features Lance Henriksen and Tim Thomerson, two of my absolute horror-type favorites, though; so I may have seen it in a blurry condition at one time.  (But hey, I'm still trying to figure out what soap Adrian Pasdar was on.)

So Near Dark just didn't meet up to your expectations, or what?
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: February 23, 2008, 09:05:14 PM »

I think of "Near Dark" in the same bubble as that sci-fi one with what's his face from Dune, like, better than it should have been but on re-examination it's probably not that much fun, lousy production values, etc., but the idea of "I got banged for my $5" is a resounding "Yes," but is it an overrated underrated movie?  Probably.

I just saw "Meatballs," any guess who was the named producer other than Paramount?

As hippie and all as the film is, and I was trying not to like it in so many ways but it really does have a good heart and a good "teaching" story, one of those movies that teach you how to be a person, when it looks really hard.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: February 23, 2008, 09:12:38 PM »

Anyway, it's "Haliburton," and not that "Halliburton," but just so I got interested in the attribution, which may or may not be a joke at the time on the energy conglom...sorry, I was 10 when "Meatballs" came out and forgot about the energy crisis, etc., so if it was commonplace to smoke pot and blame "Haliburton," and make a credits joke to that affect, then oh, okay.  But, yeah, I just told you that the joke is on me. 
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: February 23, 2008, 09:14:03 PM »

It's "Haliburton"'s only film attribution, naturally.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: February 23, 2008, 10:45:10 PM »

jbottle and oilcanboyd, Thanks guys, for getting me so interested in looking at Carlito's Way, again.  It was great.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: February 23, 2008, 11:20:51 PM »

It's lovely, right, the way Pacino has the trashcan top the wrong way up when he's watching his ballerina?  Love DePalma, and great to see him turn in a picture that is actually a minor masterpiece that could have been a little disaster.  That's what he can do.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: February 24, 2008, 12:01:44 AM »

So Near Dark just didn't meet up to your expectations, or what?

I just remember seeing it a long time ago and liking it, then reading about how underrated it is, then seeing it for the second time many years later, and thinking hmm, this isn't as good as I thought it was.  E.g., things like you get a shot of the vampire chasing a guy, and the vampire is gaining on him and only a few feet behind, and then in the next shot there's 20 feet between the vampire and the guy being chased.

I guess maybe when I saw it for the first time many years ago as a lad on HBO or maybe on VHS, I was impressed by Henriksen and since I didn't know who he was back then, there was some novelty or whatever to that, enhancing the impression.  In any event, the second time I saw it was a few years ago, and I was all like, yeah, I liked this when I saw it a long time ago, and I've read often since then about how underrated it is, so I should really enjoy this, etc., and then when I hit play I just kept noticing things like the "20 feet" thing described above.

Anyways, I think I agree with Jbottle's "overrated underrated" assessment.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: February 24, 2008, 08:48:34 AM »

I just remember seeing it a long time ago and liking it, then reading about how underrated it is, then seeing it for the second time many years later, and thinking hmm, this isn't as good as I thought it was. 

Ah, yes; I know that feeling well.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: February 24, 2008, 01:25:08 PM »

SeaQuest DSV was the answer to my Roy Scheider question.  Above-average, as tv sci-fi goes.

Who said this, and in what film:

"That's the bravest thing I've ever seen a vegetable do."

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: February 24, 2008, 01:38:25 PM »

Ving Rhames in "Mission Impossible"?
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email