Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 18, 2018, 04:57:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 40
  Print  
Author Topic: Film Trivia  (Read 9576 times)
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: February 27, 2008, 12:06:28 AM »

Dunno what is WAG, but yes, indeed, harrie, and I won't sing his praises again but will yield to next query.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: February 27, 2008, 01:24:44 AM »

How many times did the average person have to drink when somebody at the "Oscar Party" said, "god I hate Renee Zelly haircut. 

Also thought that Owen Wilson did a good job of getting back in the presenter mode like no big deal, without referencing his suicidal gesture, another classy moment that they had enough sense to get around by not addressing it at all, if I didn't already say that.  He looked a little less jovial, but showing up is a lot of the job, and not making a joke of what happened as if it were blown out of proportion made his appearance just in the perfect proportion I thought. 

All in all, no great speeches or great numbers other than Amy Adams whose demeanor and performance were home run.

Insightful bit with Ben Affleck saying that he always imagined waking up five years from now in a crud apartment saying he dreamt they wrote a screenplay and Robin Williams was in it...sorta points to the trajectory of his career, which was, if they are cutting a check I am cashing it, not a criticism, it's the same thing I would've done.  I wouldn't have had the confidence of a Damon or Depp, just to figure, yeah, when it gets here I'll know it...but I've already done what I came here to do on several occasions and if I have to move back to Boston or KY, ah, fuckit.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: February 27, 2008, 08:09:02 AM »

WAG = Wild Ass Guess -- I like a lot of Sayles stuff, too.

jbottle, great takes on the Wilson/Asslick aspect of the Oscar-TM awards.  Amy Adams is like poise personified, and I'm a huge fan of hers now.  I mean, I was already a little bit because of Junebug -- but she's pretty, smart, and can think on her feet, so I'm definitely there now.

I'm working without a net for the rest of the day, so the floor is open.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: February 27, 2008, 12:26:12 PM »

There's a very insightful movie out there about  a sometimes genteel but determined woman who decides to run for public office and whose husband thus has opportunity to conduct long time affair(s)--yes, multiple.   While she is running in what is obviously a North-eastern state, it was still at a time when she needed significantly less in the way of war-chest funding from her supportive neighbours and best friends.  I am sure the experienced director was fully aware of the amount of money currently necessitated for campaigning at the time that he released his film which is still being shown on tv.  Did he have Mrs. Clinton in mind(as a plot-theme) when making this film, as she had been considerably in the public eye,making public appearances coincident to film production.

The writer on this film has to be given maximum credit for writing one of the best sexual tension flics that was ever out there. It's downright romantic from a woman's view-point as a female cinematic peeping-tom. These are the kind of movies supposedly made  with women in mind during the Great Depression.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: February 27, 2008, 09:04:34 PM »

What do these round, often spinning, objects that have appeared in some freakin' great films have in common?    Fans; tumbleweeds; hubcaps; hats; bowling balls. 

Awww, maaaan.... Everyone keeps posting these Coen Bros cupcake questions when I'm away from the almighty internet for a day.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: February 27, 2008, 11:19:26 PM »

jbottle,re:#286

"Also thought that Owen Wilson did a good job of getting back in the presenter mode like no big deal, without referencing his suicidal gesture, another classy moment that they had enough sense to get around by not addressing it at all, if I didn't already say that.  He looked a little less jovial, but showing up is a lot of the job, and not making a joke of what happened as if it were blown out of proportion made his appearance just in the perfect proportion I thought."   It was.  They give you lessons in "Hollywood" to cover your lessons in life. The show goes on and they invested in you. 

I ought to know, someone is considering whether they can nail me for being critical of the FCC, the Comcast rip-off of all the movies you can't see because they remove the channels when you are looking at another one, and that the FCC wants the right to limit your exchanges on the internet as soon as possible so they have that over before election  time!

It seems the guys at FCC, didn't want the Public coming in and having a fair hearing, so they went out on the street and found homeless veterans who they must have paid something to come on in off the street and take the cushy plushy chairs for the Public where the homeless vets promptly fell asleep in them throughout the hearing.

(Unless those were just wannabees from central casting who went out and bought camouflage from Old Navy to qualify for the role in the hay with the Feds?)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: February 29, 2008, 12:39:25 PM »

Been out with flu all week, so I missed the cupcake Coen bro question, too.  Reckon I'll just take 'er easy and maybe have a nice cool bottle of that Sioux City sarsparilla.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: February 29, 2008, 01:54:01 PM »

WHAT cupcake COEN bros question?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: February 29, 2008, 02:01:29 PM »

WHAT cupcake COEN bros question?

MY cupcake COEN bros question -- the one with chocolate frosting and pink sprinkles!  Or, posts 276 and 277. Whichever.

Oh -- and hope you're feeling better, barton.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 03:36:57 PM by harrie » Logged
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: February 29, 2008, 02:05:12 PM »

September 11, 1991. What is the significance of this date in relation to the Coens?
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: March 01, 2008, 10:51:22 AM »

I'll be away from the keyboard the rest of this day so won't leave y'all hanging.

http://home.xnet.com/~madman/bigl/ralphscheck.jpg

I thought this was a weird piece o' trivia considering that George H. W. Bush is heard making his "aggression will not stand" speech during this scene. Of course, the Coens may have been playing on Bush's New World Order speech which was delivered on September 11, 1990.

Floor be open.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: March 01, 2008, 02:55:21 PM »

I'm still waiting on #288 to be "re:read" and  given a deeper level of  sub-conscious inspection.   I may have given overly much impression that it is a "womens' film"; it is rather obviously the differences in how men relate to major tragic episodes compared to women yet also on particular lines of reasoning because of their comparative professions.

I suppose what  I need is an excellent clue. Having seen this film twice(major American Male Star and major UK female actor old enough to have college-age applicant to whom she has obviously been a role model), I did  a more discerning take on the relationship of the sexes under pressure.

Can't just ask you to relate to something else that I saw for the second time last night and understood a bit more thoroughly than previously.

Be back with the trivia ,while I think deeply about human nature (or is that conduct?).
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: March 01, 2008, 02:58:34 PM »

Barton, do you really have Sioux City sarsparilla?  You're close enough to the source. But, don't overdo it, as it can have similar effects to Alcohol on the liver but with none of the buzz.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: March 02, 2008, 01:57:00 AM »

re:#288 and #296

Okay, so they plan to show same film in a couple of hours.

Directed by one I've always considered a man with executive privilege who is always operating on a short fuse.

He tends to have a pattern that looks like he develops crushes on his leading men and won't let them go.

After a couple of Burt Lancaster staples, an actor who seems to have that characteristic  calling the shots dominance as this director although in a gentler spirit, said  vip moved on to a fascination with Robert Reford to the tune of at least six films; it was as if he had said, "I've got you under contract." or " You're my money maker".

Then for some reason he shifted to Harrison Ford as his type of guy.  All of these actors reveal facets of the director's personality, impatient types who fool you with a seeming appearance of affability.

More recently he tried making a Sean Penn film, simply because Penn had attained that age when he also revealed that easily snappish side of the director's personality.

Maybe I should look at what pattern he reveals in choice of the females to play opposite the stars who reflect his idea of himself, favored masculine position?

Name my director to get to the film!

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: March 02, 2008, 09:37:45 AM »

Okay, madupont, I have to admit I didn't know there was a question contained in that first post (#288). 

So in answer to the follow-up....George Roy Hill?  Probably not, he's dead.  Robert Redford, in a trick question (as in having himself under contract)? Hmmm.  But I don't think Lions for Lambs fits the description or is on TV right now; and the only other stuff I can think of are Quiz Show and The Horse Whisperer - not likely choices. Well, I can also think of Ordinary People, but that doesn't fit either.

Sidney Pollack, aka Tootsie's agent? As for SP films that fit, I'm stuck -- not Out of Africa, not Havana, definitely not The Way We Were or the gahdawful remake of Sabrina.  So I'm probably wrong with SP, too. But I'm all out of ideas.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 40
  Print  

Jump to: