Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 17, 2018, 05:00:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Arts and Exhibitions  (Read 2270 times)
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: April 16, 2007, 08:40:09 PM »

Join a discussion on the visual arts and the latest museum, gallery and outdoor exhibits.
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 08:53:58 AM »

I'm a big fan of www.youtube.com and came across this gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUDIoN-_Hxs

This is genuine art though I must caution the reader that youtube does often contain posts that are of a questionable nature. So, please enjoy the featured post but use your discretion as to others.

''Love much & be forgiven''

- - - Margaret Fuller
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 11:02:15 AM »

Thank you, thanatopsy, for starting us off. I'd been wondering who would be the first to begin?  We seem to have lost many of our former associates who commented particularly on art as they saw it; so, I've been very curious, if this forum would ever get off the ground along with several others missing content thus far (which really says something about us).

What is marvelous about the selection that you posted was the editing for the morphing but, to do that, the editor had to have a very wide knowledge of art history.    I know that I didn't know probably over a dozen of the portraits or subjects.  The editing technique technically lent a provocative quality of femininity but at the same time the very inconstancy of any supposedly understood emotion on the part of the viewer. Says a lot about what's real in human attraction and what we mistake from appearances.
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 10:23:18 PM »

Thanks madupont.

Indeed, that video is a great work of contemporary art. And it reveals how Western style beauty remains a constant over the centuries that transpire. Beauty is such a wonderful thing.  I remain mindful of the Old Testament story of Job - when he repented of his supposed sins, he was granted numerous rewards.  And the listing shows that the best was saved for last as the greatest gift he got was being rewarded with the most beautiful daughters in the land.

Beauty as revealed in those portraits is a divine gift - a manifestation of the divine in human form. It is life enhancing and affirming. And it is eternal.

Beauty is not in the face
beauty is a light in the heart.

--- Khalil Gibran (1883 - 1931)

I hope that posters will use this portion of the forum to post links that reveal beauty in any and every form imaginable.

''Love much & be forgiven''

- - - Margaret Fuller
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 03:24:31 AM »

Hard to resist not posting on the diamond encrusted skull by Damien Hirst:

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/06/01/skull.art.reut/index.html

You have to give the guy credit for making news, but assuming someone pays out $98 million for this "relic," it would hardly put him in the same league with Picasso or Rembradt, even in terms of buying power.  After all, $30 million was invested in making this "piece of art" to begin with, making it no better (just more expensive) than the jewel-encrusted bras Victoria's Secret offers each Christmas for around $10 million.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 08:10:02 AM »

Fascinating watching the eyes in the Women in Art video you linked, thanatopsy
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 09:26:02 PM »

Does this look like Delacroix to you?

http://www.navigo.com/wm/paint/auth/delacroix/barque-dante.jpg

Anyway, somebody posting noticed that this painting is reputed to be the inspiration for the Annie Leibovitz photo on the dvd cover for the 5th season of The Sopranos. That turned out to be the case and I could have posted this in television but I'm still figuring out this "Delacroix", who appears to have fallen between Michaelangelo and David.

learn.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 08:10:51 PM »

Here's a piece of art you may have not heard about:

The piece is call LEARN - spread the word.

Haiku

Children are sponges.
Others actions are absorbed.
Is the water clean?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 02:19:31 PM »

to thanatopsy

“Encompassing the Globe: Portugal and the World in the 16th and 17th Centuries” continues through Sept. 16 at the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, (202) 633-4880, and the National Museum of African Art, Smithsonian Institution, (202) 633-4600, in Washington.

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2007/06/28/arts/20070629_SACK_SLIDESHOW_index.html

Victoria and Albert Museum, London
  Homage or sendup? A 17th-century Mughal portrait of a European, at the Sackler.  (1st slide)

chauncey.g

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 09:23:23 PM »

not sure if this guy qualifies as high art but i think it's pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIJtKxdRQzY
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 10:29:04 PM »

Yes, chauncey.g

Those of us who have lived in New Jersey at one time or another can say with certainty, New Jerseyeans are talented. In one way or another. For this one we were given all the clues.   As a matter of fact, this particular style takes as much effort and persistence to get it down as any other style of painting.

I had a friend who accomplished this because she was near sighted, and I immediately saw where she was coming from because I am near sighted too. Never have I developed a talent for Impressionist painting to the degree that she had simply because she couldn't figure out what things were when she walked into the kitchen in the morning and,whoa,had to back up to see what the strange objects in there really were. That's about the size of it.

Don't exactly care much for the musician as a person. His music is all right; but, I had an unexpected encounter with him at Small's Paradise one night after hours that was a source of amusement to the musicians that I had come with for the breakfast hour. He had been getting away with that ruse for years.  The only musician that I really disliked from then on without a doubt.
chauncey.g

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 10:29:26 AM »

science as art

http://www.cmlab.com/media/cmech_mfa_version.mov
chauncey.g

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 10:37:19 AM »

Yes, chauncey.g

Those of us who have lived in New Jersey at one time or another can say with certainty, New Jerseyeans are talented. In one way or another. For this one we were given all the clues.   As a matter of fact, this particular style takes as much effort and persistence to get it down as any other style of painting.

I had a friend who accomplished this because she was near sighted, and I immediately saw where she was coming from because I am near sighted too. Never have I developed a talent for Impressionist painting to the degree that she had simply because she couldn't figure out what things were when she walked into the kitchen in the morning and,whoa,had to back up to see what the strange objects in there really were. That's about the size of it.

Don't exactly care much for the musician as a person. His music is all right; but, I had an unexpected encounter with him at Small's Paradise one night after hours that was a source of amusement to the musicians that I had come with for the breakfast hour. He had been getting away with that ruse for years.  The only musician that I really disliked from then on without a doubt.

ma -- do you come with subtitles?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 01:30:18 PM »

yES, as a matter of fact. In several languages used just as ineptly as the original. That's what comes of letting your parents know that you know how  to play the piano before you start kindergarten. Daily practice for 15 years on average will just about do it: wipe out your syntactical abilities or barely have them develop, because you are composing music in your head. Great start in life but is it worth it?
chauncey.g

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2007, 01:55:14 PM »

(smile)

thanks, ma. i understand about things going on in the head.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: