Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 26, 2018, 01:59:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 68
  Print  
Author Topic: Popular Music  (Read 14123 times)
sgrobin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #930 on: March 21, 2008, 09:14:53 AM »

Burnzy,

Sounds like a good time.

An audible groan on your tagline.

This is kind of sad:  http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/03/21/people.beachboyssuit.ap/index.html

Brian Wilson was the creative force behind the Beach Boys, and Love and Jardine were fighting over the scraps (i.e. the name).  Mike Love and some studio musicians don't make the Beach Boys (Bruce Johnston might be in the group, but he wasn't an original member.)

On another note, there's a British world music magazine called Songlines.  It's pretty good.  Anyway, they put out their 50th issue, and is the case with such things, are celebrating the 50 most important moments in world music.  Yes, an utterly contrived list.  Anyway, any idea what the #1 moment was?  Hint: it involves an American musician. 

Some others include...
#2 - Bulgarian Voices released
#3 the first Womad
#15 George Harrison plays sitar
#16 - the One Love Peace Concert (where Bob Marley got the two opposition candidates to shake hands on stage)
#19 (my personal favorite) - Kronos Qurtet begin Pieces of Africa

ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #931 on: March 21, 2008, 10:13:09 AM »

Hmmm... My first guess would be Carlos Santana. Even though he was born in Mexico he is considered an American musician. How about The Tokens with "The Lion Sleeps Tonight". Paul Simon with either Graceland or The Rhythm of the Saints? How many guesses do I get? Louis Armstrong? He did take jazz to the world, no?
sgrobin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #932 on: March 21, 2008, 02:56:56 PM »

Burnzy, thy third guess is correct - Paul Simon goes to South Africa.  Good on you, mate.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #933 on: March 21, 2008, 05:39:37 PM »

Took me a few minutes but it's the obvious choice.

Have a safe and happy Easter weekend.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #934 on: March 28, 2008, 07:06:56 AM »

I have to imagine Ravi Shankar teaching George Harrison the sitar should be part of #15, as Shankar was a big influence on the Beatles. 

Some defining moments in world music to me would be Miriam Makeba and Harry Belafonte putting out some memorable songs together; Fela Kuti teaming up with Roy Ayers; Ry Cooder with Ali Farka Toure; Mickey Hart with Baba Olatunji, although Baba had already played with many jazz legends including Max Roach; Simon with Ladysmith Black Mambazo, and also the Zimbabwe concert in which he sang with Miriam Makeba, Nusrat Fatah Ali Khan and Eddie Vedder together on the Dead Man Walking CD, Robert Plant and Jimmy Page's No Quarter album with a truly inspiring version of Kashmir with an Egyptian Ensemble, Musicians in Marrakech and the London Metropolitan Orchestra.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 08:26:43 AM by Dzimas » Logged
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #935 on: March 28, 2008, 08:05:51 AM »

Might hafta hunt down a copy of that there mag.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #936 on: March 31, 2008, 11:34:07 PM »

flashback --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZFy9vcDFrA
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #937 on: April 05, 2008, 08:19:44 AM »

Rockin' version of Pachelbel's Canon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUNmLuNdiL8
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #938 on: April 08, 2008, 09:47:15 AM »

Jacobs:

Shelby Lynn has been in the news.  Nice review by Stephen Holden in the Times.  I've heard her new cd is good; I'll check it out on Rhapsody.  She also appeared in Falls Church which I failed to attend since I missed reading about it in the Post.  I should read the Post if only for the entertainment section.

Bravo to Dylan for an Honorary Pulitizer?  Not sure why "honorary" but I'm glad to see his finally recognized for his brilliant lyrics.

Am listening to Don Henley a lot, especially End of the Innocence, a wonderful album.

Pisses me off that the latest Eagles album has to be bought at Walmart.  Hell will freeze over before I enter that store.  Their cds are blocked from Rhapsody.  I can't even buy the album on Rhapsody.  At least let their cds be available on amazon.  I love Henley and I love the Eagles.
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #939 on: April 15, 2008, 01:49:05 PM »

OTIS TAYLOR--RECAPTURING THE BANJO

http://www.amazon.com/Recapturing-Banjo-Otis-Taylor/dp/B0010VD7FS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1208281688&sr=1-1
sgrobin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #940 on: April 24, 2008, 09:39:01 AM »

Beatle fans may have heard that May Pang just came out with a book of photos from her period with John Lennon.  Two particularly interesting photos:  John and Paul in LA, sitting on an outside couch and chatting, around 1974.  Paul has a moustache and mullet; John is wearing his shades and a mac. There's another photo (not in the book) of them with Keith Moon, Harry Nilsson, and maybe Ringo, and I think those are the only two photos of John and Paul together after the split. 

The second photo is of John signing the agreement to end the Beatles' partnership. 

Non-Beatle fans may not care.

ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #941 on: April 24, 2008, 05:31:03 PM »

Non-Beatle fans may not care.

Screw 'em.

Here's a li'l Ringo and Harry and stuff.

http://fortheloveofharry.blogspot.com/2008/03/ringo-harry-davy-i-love-my-suit-simple.html

ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #942 on: April 25, 2008, 09:55:10 AM »

Happy Friday you crazy fearless diamonds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qbGfbBFw8Q

kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #943 on: April 25, 2008, 10:12:48 AM »

Pondy~~

Really nice and sweetly appropriate regarding recent posts over in meander.

And a funny coincidence -- was just discussing this recently.  The cheers?  Soccer game -- who are the fans cheering? 

My .02 was Manchester United  -- yay or nay?

Don't dance on a volcano...
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #944 on: April 25, 2008, 12:48:18 PM »

not sure and i'm on my seester's pc laptop right now and is too diffycult for this mac man to navigate le www without a mouse. sorry.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 68
  Print  

Jump to: