Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 25, 2018, 09:59:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 68
  Print  
Author Topic: Popular Music  (Read 14110 times)
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: April 16, 2007, 08:40:55 PM »

Share your thoughts on the latest popular music artists.
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 10:20:17 AM »

Listening to a wonderful song by a great artist I found on xm radio: "Low Down Low" by Kerri Powers. Can be found at here myspace.com site. As Wynonna sang in Rock Bottom, when you are down low up is the only way to go, right?
liquidsilver
Superhero Member

Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 10:44:12 AM »

I've been getting into Matisyahu, Hasidic reggae who woulda thunk it?

http://www.myspace.com/matisyahu

"I hate listening to peoples dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody's having sex, I just don't care."
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 10:45:40 AM »

Sounds unconventional for sure, but that is a good thing. I happen to love many recordings of klezmer and sephardic music.
sugarblues

K. I. S. S.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 08:38:21 AM »

Good Morning all,  Its been a very long and emotional week for me...SO I desperately need some up lifting music to make me smile and destress. I have been reading the post from the previous week and they did make me feel better.
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 09:53:48 AM »

Sugar--so glad to see you and hope you are working your way out of an emotionally draining situation...I know you have the inner strenght and resource to do so. Uplifting music......hmmmmm.....How bout this for starts....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xg4MaZ0-p-E

In a Wynonna mood of late.

When I Reach the Place I'm Going  and Live With Jesus (even for a Jewish boy!) from her first solo are yet others, but not sure I have an immediate link to send.

Hope I can get more ideas later...hang in there!!
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 11:16:59 AM »

sugar--

Kate Campbell is a wonderfully inspiring Americana singer. Hope you find this anothe bit of inspiration and uplift!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xg4MaZ0-p-E

Just for energy, enjoy Ray Wylie Hubbard doing Snake Farm--kinda rowdy!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_jNWPUFNA2U

Hope you enjoy them!!
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 11:35:54 AM »

My 14-year-old daughter introduced me to Matisyahu, for which I thank her.  I hope no-one automatically considers something a 14 yo likes an anti-recommendation. There's an amazing range of stuff on her iTunes list--much of it in Japanese (she loves manga & anime as well as "J-Pop"), some in French...meanwhile she plays oboe in band and orchestra, and sometimes prints out sheet music of themes from video & computer games, a surprising number of which sound great on the oboe. 

I enjoy "King without a Crown" although Matisyahu is controversial for his politics. Word is, he won't shake the hands of women.  Not sure how that came to be -- maybe a religious thing? 

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
sgrobin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 11:41:57 AM »

I've heard of Matisyahu but haven't heard his tunes. The reviews seem to indicate that he's pretty good.

Reggae-wise I've been listening to a compilation put together by DJ Scratchy, a guy who used to play the music before and after Clash concerts. He's a real reggae fan, and put together a nice collection called Scratch Sounds. Maybe a few too many covers for my tastes, but otherwise some great songs. He has his own podcast; I listened to one of them and it was full of stuff from around the world. He's sort of keeping Joe Strummer's flame alive. Or lit. Or however the metaphor goes.
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 01:20:44 PM »

Religious thing? A true hasidic is nuts.
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 01:35:27 PM »

Curious to hear this guy,  but sometimes myspace won't play.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 06:03:51 PM »

"King without a Crown", "Close my Eyes",  and check out his "Beat Box"...  aside from that i'm not too into his stuff.  Reminds me of Rocker T.

White Reggae singers are a trip. Bradley Nowell could do it. Don't know too many others.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 09:29:08 AM »

Hi Sugar--hope you've are enjoying some music and your spirits are returning. Busy day here, but there is always Vivaldi for a real pick me up!! 
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 09:31:36 AM »

Finally heard the hasidic reggae singer.  20 sec. did me completely. Oh well.
chauncey.g

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 05:49:37 PM »

How 'bout some silly Peter Sellers to ease the blues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_sKAotTJiI
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 68
  Print  

Jump to: