Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 23, 2018, 04:45:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 67
  Print  
Author Topic: Popular Music  (Read 11856 times)
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: June 13, 2007, 09:16:33 PM »

Is there a national network programing for PBS?   I just assumed that every local station had different programs and times...
bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: June 14, 2007, 03:14:28 AM »

All of Emmy Lou Harris's  albums from the early 70's to early 80's are great.She has a great voice and a great eye in putting together those albums.Pancho&Lefty,Beneath Still Waters,Quarter Moon in a Ten Cent Town,etc,etc.

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: June 14, 2007, 03:21:41 AM »

P.S. Those were song titles.The albums were ,Luxury Liner,Elite Hotel,Blue Kentucky Girl(my fave), Roses in the Snow, and Quarter Moon in a Ten Cent Town. I converted frat brothers to Emmy Lou who had never heard of her before.

bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: June 14, 2007, 03:26:40 AM »

Trojanhorse,Regarding PBS A majority of the stations share prime time programs but I notice your Orange County PBS runs different shows than KCET up the road in Los Angeles.That said I watch the Orange County station as much or more than KCET.

cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: June 14, 2007, 09:38:19 AM »

lulu--when the clarinet part comes in at the end of Jerusalem Tomorrow, it gets me every time. Not many pieces of music make me moist, but that one does. Another is Sunrise, Sunset. Old softie,  me.

On the topic of NPR, go to www.npr.org.

Anyone who can convert a frat house to emmylou has amazing powers of persuasion or is the baddest ass on the block.

TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: June 14, 2007, 11:01:21 AM »

Trojanhorse,Regarding PBS A majority of the stations share prime time programs but I notice your Orange County PBS runs different shows than KCET up the road in Los Angeles.That said I watch the Orange County station as much or more than KCET.

maybe that's why I assumed that they all ran their own programming independently.  THese two rarely have the same show on at the same time...
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: June 14, 2007, 04:20:31 PM »

jacobs:

Because it resembles klezmer music or Jewish music?
chauncey.g

« Reply #217 on: June 14, 2007, 08:54:07 PM »

never know what you can dig up as a rainstorm rolls by...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGuuOSZq-II
bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: June 15, 2007, 03:17:35 AM »

I've been going through a collection of 1500 plus LP'S I have looking for ones in decent shape to take to my brothers in San Diego to transfer some of the songs.He just got one of those turntables you plug into computer and transfer.I found an album "The Kenny Rankin Album" from the late 70's that I had forgotten about.Though I wasn't a huge fan this album is a gem.Roomates on Cape Cod and Frat Bros used to play this all the time after they heard it.He does a great version of"Groovin" on it and almost every song is a keeper.I also found a bootleg Neil Young live from way back on Zerox Records that has a nice version of "Sugar Mountain".

TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: June 15, 2007, 09:31:38 AM »

I've been going through a collection of 1500 plus LP'S I have looking for ones in decent shape to take to my brothers in San Diego to transfer some of the songs.He just got one of those turntables you plug into computer and transfer.I found an album "The Kenny Rankin Album" from the late 70's that I had forgotten about.Though I wasn't a huge fan this album is a gem.Roomates on Cape Cod and Frat Bros used to play this all the time after they heard it.He does a great version of"Groovin" on it and almost every song is a keeper.I also found a bootleg Neil Young live from way back on Zerox Records that has a nice version of "Sugar Mountain".

They are selling at Costco for about $125.

I don't think I have 1500 LPs, but probably about 1,000...   I was an Album Rock DJ in the late 70s
sgrobin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: June 15, 2007, 09:44:05 AM »

My brother (he's younger than me) and I shared a record collection and we had some decent stuff. He sold our entire collection to some used record store in Worcester, MA for beer money back in the eighties. The collection was nothing special, but it did have the original US version of Meet the Beatles and the Mystery Tour album with the booklet. For some reason the Beatles never put the booklet in the disc version. I miss those.

On another note, I contend that if you're a musician, wearing your group's t-shirt is uncool.

And if the t-shirt is a tank top, it's even more uncool.

And if you're wearing a mullet while wearing said t-shirt, then your uncoolness may be affecting your social life.

Speaking of which, I caught an old video by the Alarm last night.

Kidding; I actually liked those guys. I heard Mike Peters has cancer; I hope he's ok.
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: June 15, 2007, 10:00:29 AM »

jacobs:

That may be a part of it, but Klezemer does not usually have that effect on me. Just something about those particular songs.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: June 15, 2007, 11:38:37 AM »

jacobs:

That may be a part of it, but Klezemer does not usually have that effect on me. Just something about those particular songs.

You have me curious about whose particular songs resembles Klezemer?
Al Yankovich?
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: June 15, 2007, 02:00:51 PM »

mad--the song is "Jerusalem Tomorrow" by Emmylou Harris on her Cowgirl's Prayer album. At the very end a clarinet appears and has a strong klezmer feel to it.
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: June 15, 2007, 02:33:43 PM »

jacobs:

I know your response already but I was asked by several people for you to come back.  I'm not sure I want to but I was asked to relay that message by people who do care and not the other idiots.

FYI

I haven't been posting there, except to say how rotten they were/are and how closed they are.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 67
  Print  

Jump to: