Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 23, 2018, 12:54:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 67
  Print  
Author Topic: Popular Music  (Read 11690 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: June 24, 2007, 11:14:14 PM »

just kidding, of course. but heard this on the radio and one google led to another...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr6H1a7YUac

I like that song -- not enough to play it 50 times over or anything, but it reminds me of my groovy childhood.  Now it sounds awfully reminiscent of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzfp6rZiFDo (sorry, couldn't find it without the intro by Mike Douglas -- another blast from the past).

There's the old story about how Eleanor came about; don't know if it's true or not, but I don't see why it can't be.  Basically, record execs were all over The Turtles (or Flo and Eddie or whoever) to write another hit like Happy Together.  The Turtles decided to write the worst, most trite, simplistically rhyming song possible, and along came Eleanor.  Which was also a pretty big hit. So much for the artistic taste of the American public. But I still sing along to it when it comes on.
chauncey.g

« Reply #301 on: June 24, 2007, 11:29:29 PM »

something about that era and singing. dug the turtles myself. and the grass roots. alright, g'night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCdGqed6Ajg&mode=related&search=
bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: June 25, 2007, 03:06:10 AM »

Harrie,That is pretty much a true story about Eleanor.The Turtles label was White Whale of which I have no idea if they had any other recording artists.The Turtles were also huge Beatles fans so the name might have had something to do with Eleanor Rigby.I read a story once where the first time some of the Turtles saw the Beatles for the first time in the UK they were so down cause John and someone else were doing acid when they talked to them and the Flo and the boys were innocents at THAT time.Does anyone recall the cover of The Turtles Greatest Hits Vol 1.It had the band members on the cover with these drawings of  these smaller topless women with long hair that sort of went into a paisley thing.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 03:16:02 AM by bosox18d » Logged

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: June 25, 2007, 10:00:20 AM »

Maybe it was a good thing to be tossed out of the NY Times fora.....haven't seen this much activity in quite a while.

NP--Mavis Staples's "We'll Never Turn Back" from her recent and excellent release of the same name.

Over the weeknd went to a wedding of an in-law. Full Catholic mass, no less. At the every end they played this syurpy piece of music that I swore would never end! Others had the same reaction.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: June 25, 2007, 10:56:33 AM »

Gee... I think you're swell
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: June 25, 2007, 11:14:08 AM »

And you really do me well...
chauncey.g

« Reply #306 on: June 25, 2007, 11:16:07 AM »

ooh-ooh that smell...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: June 25, 2007, 01:22:55 PM »

ooh-ooh that smell...

Wait...how did we get to Lynard Skynard?
chauncey.g

« Reply #308 on: June 25, 2007, 03:05:34 PM »

trite, simplistic rhyming.

wha'? ya want haiku? it's not going over well at the creative writing thread (smile).
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: June 25, 2007, 03:44:40 PM »

trite, simplistic rhyming.

wha'? ya want haiku? it's not going over well at the creative writing thread (smile).

Hey, those were the words of Flo and Eddie, not me.  And I'm staying out of that haiku thing, if you know what I mean.....
chauncey.g

« Reply #310 on: June 25, 2007, 03:48:23 PM »

Hey, I'm just funnin'.

And I'm staying out of that haiku thing, if you know what I mean.....

I'm trying to dance around it myself.

awww... gimme dat, gimme dat...
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: June 26, 2007, 09:57:57 AM »

NP--Huey Lewis and the News: (She's) Some Kind of Wonderful.

The bldg cafeteria is offereing a culinary treat today, frog legs. I know some people hate to eat fish. I wonder if amphibians count as fish?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: June 26, 2007, 11:11:13 AM »

Frog legs are fine, depending on where you live.  Did they give you a clue how they are preparing them? Deep fried is sometimes best for beginners compared to fricasee. The object is to enjoy it like chicken rather than to make you chicken. Today, I am into Frog legs Marengo.

Listen, I encountered your Syren(from you-tube) while trying to find my place the other day. Nice work for motion and using the costuming to advantage for that movement. Otherwise found regularly as your studio format as I was raised on this, which is why I stay out of the sports forums. 

The only thing more exotic by half that you might enjoy even more so, and don't laugh, is Yemenite dancing on the same pattern; not necessarily approved by bin Laden, which is why I avoided the sample on the same site. 

This whole thing arose way back in the sequence where I asked what sounded like Klezmer which seldom restrains me from feeling like jumping to my feet.
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: June 26, 2007, 11:20:24 AM »

According to the menu we will be treated to: Frog Legs a la Provencal (tomato garlic and white wine broth) . I will give a full report afterward, of course. I have had frog legs from youth and love 'em, but been a while since I last enjoyed them.

I have to confess confusion about you finding my (?) syren on youtube. Could you give a bit more detail? Are you referring to English Country Dance? Sounds as though you are. As to period costumes, I often find the the dancers with the most elaborate costumes are the worst damned dancers!! Although I have confess that disliking the costume balls intensely, my actual exposure is limited. Personally, i wouldn't wear one of those silly costumes. Old grumpy-pants, here.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: June 26, 2007, 11:55:35 AM »

cincy--man

Lulu--you are gonna make me blush.

But check this out: http://youtube.com/watch?v=lXUJKZE5VjU.

As described at you tube:
"Excerpts from our Feb 2007 evening length performance of ABRAVANEL, inspired by the culture, music, history and journey of the Sephardic Jewish people. www.syrendance.org (more)"

Sounds close enough to Chicken Marengo, Napoleon asked his cook after the battle to put together something. He assumed it was chicken. Same ingredients, you mentioned. Learned to cook it early on.

I would personal recommend an Abravanel (or Abrabanel) to drink with it, as that name caught my attention to follow your recommendation, above, as I lost my place in here one day.

I lost my place again today during a technical problem this morning.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 67
  Print  

Jump to: