Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 22, 2018, 01:17:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 67
  Print  
Author Topic: Popular Music  (Read 11319 times)
chauncey.g

« Reply #375 on: June 30, 2007, 12:52:39 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwSZM1QT1yU
chauncey.g

« Reply #376 on: June 30, 2007, 01:40:07 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-K1j7wzr_c
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #377 on: July 01, 2007, 01:05:21 AM »

Kurt Cobain's alleged suicide:  "Homicide," "Clinical Depression augmented by heroin addiction," or "the ultimate punk 'fuck you'"?
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #378 on: July 01, 2007, 01:17:49 AM »

The Beatles "Elanor Rigby" focuse attention on people that no one cares about, specifically, one collecting rice where a wedding has been, but, I don't care how old you are, that doesn't happen.  Despite the fact that "here's where the strings come in...," Elanor Rigby, is el rig, a joke, right, a monument to meloncholia to see whether there was any end to cheap human manipulation.  On the other hand I was touched by the song.  Whether or not a priest would really "darn" his socks all by himself is kind of stupid, but if you believe there is a lonely woman collecting rice, sure, but the chorus of "where do they all come from, where do they all belong..." seems ultimately like a displaced generational hurry to the grave for all the poor people not part of the genial collective, and naturally dispatched by society by notions of "old maidenism" or "priesthood."

I guess the idea was that the priest should have been shaking it all night long just like AC/DC, or at least Elanor Rigby could have had "Double Vision" instead of wandering around and shit, I mean she could have copped a ticket to an AC/DC concert, that's my point.  Rice you leave to the Chinese.
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: July 02, 2007, 11:21:23 AM »

NP--one of my "guilty pleasures": Gwen Stefani's Wind It Up.

Heading home soon...playing nurse for wife who had an emergency appendectomy yesterday!

Sugar...hope you endured your traffic. Is it interfering with beach time?
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #380 on: July 03, 2007, 04:07:37 AM »

I have to admit that Christina Aguilera's Candyman video turned my head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WAT8oSvdVI&mode=related&search=
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #381 on: July 03, 2007, 11:05:28 AM »

Irresistably good video and song...too bad that the entire disc is not up to this standard.
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #382 on: July 03, 2007, 11:42:50 AM »

I have always loved the poignance of this song: One Is the Lonliest Number. One of many versions:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYnBsx91f28&mode=related&search=
sgrobin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #383 on: July 03, 2007, 10:21:14 PM »

Jbottle, I think you’re a little ungenerous with what is an extremely elegant song. It’s quite possible that Rigby was a cleaner at the church, which would explain why she was picking up rice after a wedding. The next verse mentions the loneliness that a priest may be experiencing and the final verse nicely connects the two threads. “Wearing a face that she keeps in a jar by the door” is haunting; I always thought of that line as referring to a face’s distortions when one looks at it through a glass jar, but some Beatle fans think it refers to Rigby’s makeup jar that she would use to make herself look nice for some suitor who never comes.

Maybe today the lyrics might seem a bit clichéd, but remember, Macca wrote this over forty years ago; I submit that in 1966 these kinds of lyrics were pretty unique.

I disagree with your assertion that the two characters had alternatives like listening to AC/DC or having ‘Double Vision’. I don’t know what McCartney was thinking, but my guess is that it was a poignant look at the lonely, not an early motivational seminar to get the mentally dispossessed up and at’em.

Toss in the fact that it was written by a 24 year-old who was possibly the most popular person in the world, and could have been writing about more vapid things, and his perspicacity becomes even more apparent. 
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #384 on: July 03, 2007, 11:23:53 PM »

Hooray, for sgrobin.  I agree but didn't have a lot of time to waste today.

The custom of throwing rice at the bride and groom was a fertility wish that they have lots of offspring (based no doubt on the notion that they were a good looking pair of humans).  I suspect that Eleanor was neither a cleaner or trying to get pregnant(from the other lyrics, that seems a distant possibility)but she may have been so poor and with so little to spend on herself and on entertainment that she went to weddings to dream(we are often told how sentimental British women are compared to us brash Americans; I  would submit that it is more likely just the opposite. However, it sounds like Eleanor (who reminds me of Eleanor Brun, the British actress who was I think in Richard Lester movies as well as Dudley Moore and Peter what's-is-name  films, and with whom the fab four were probably acquainted) was aspiring, you might say. She might pick up the rice by finding a Vicar's bulletin to sweep some of it into her handkerchief and tuck it in her purse to keep as a "memento".

It is quite an emotionally upsetting lyric with that rising and falling see-saw that is almost a string quartet  supporting it while the human voice delivers the rising accent like a plaintiff cry and then the falling away like a heavy sigh, almost like an affected German art-song if only for a soprano female voice; but for male voice it is a form of spoof on both the art-song delivery and the string quartet bowing away. It makes fun of high culture while pitying Eleanor Rigby who is just one of many (what are the population statistics for then, and now?), so that it strikes a place more bathos than pathos. Now, that is an English sentiment.

I don't think the boys were RC; or, was McCartney?  Father so-and-so is very likely an Anglican churchman of a very ordinary sort.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #385 on: July 03, 2007, 11:51:12 PM »

I don't know if cincy--man would agree but to me this is every bit and more urgent to dancing than Western forms. The comment about it being early blues...it is not but it is closer to Rag. Is a peddle being used as well to keep time somewhere below the cloth around the pumpkin size calabash?
The guitarist, you notice, "rocks".

My son had a girlfriend named Mali but I never found out how she was given that name.

Maybe you ought to take this over to the Movies since they have been talking African film and jbottle is trying to think up one that he owes himself for starters. The music might put him in the mood. This music when heard in this country was "country" even beyond the South, where farm people went "juking" that is riding around, stopping off to dance and listen to the music and to drink, and then drive around to the next place if they could find it.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #386 on: July 04, 2007, 01:23:54 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLFQjTvW-cI&mode=related&search=

This has a "blue" in a slowed sequence of not very facile trilled clusters
that seems like a  improvised, modified blues for an out of tune piano in Chicago; by jorgebonafe
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #387 on: July 04, 2007, 01:57:51 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhW1IIe5du4&mode=related&search=

Somewhere about at 4 minutes play time, the end-piece is true Blues. Quite a bit of solemnity among the participants. Then at  one point, he throws back his head  and has one of those ecstasy moments ala B.B. King.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #388 on: July 04, 2007, 02:07:58 AM »

Grob:  Point well taken, can't really bother with the maudlin effusiveness, I generally agree, but I've been thinking about whether to part company with things that don't stand on their own as being what they are supposed to be.  I hear something like ER and it sounds tinny in my ear right now, like it didn't used to, maybe I have a cynicism that has developed for some sort or external stimuli, or maybe I'm just an asshole.  It's a filler song done by master songwriters, sort of like "Fixing a Hole," great song, but filler if it's not on SPLHCB, etc.  No, I'm definitely not picking the fight with the Beatles, I can't win that, I was just in a particular state of particularity, so, no prob, explicate to your heart's content, I still think it's a silly song partially, I understand, because I can't give myself over to the sentimentality of it, I just don't care about imaginary people that much, especially after 9/11.

bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #389 on: July 04, 2007, 02:49:01 AM »

Maybe most of you know of this site but bottles post brought to mind a link an old friend Ayohn posted in the old NYTimes Meander forum many years ago about misheard lyrics. http://www.kissthisguy.com/

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 67
  Print  

Jump to: