Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 19, 2018, 02:45:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 66
  Print  
Author Topic: Popular Music  (Read 10780 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #420 on: July 06, 2007, 12:11:01 PM »

Again, thank God for Internet radio.

At least for now.  Have there been any developments on the July 15 drop-dead date?  I haven't heard of any.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #421 on: July 06, 2007, 12:53:12 PM »

Grobin, I'm surprised African music didn't do better America either, but then you can't exactly sing along to the music, especially with someone like Fela Kuti.  The strength of African music has been its profound influence on American music over the years, which Paul Simon acknowledged in Graceland.

An even better example is Peter Gabriel, who not only works with African and Asian musicians, but produces their records through his Real World label.  It has been a huge boon for third world musicians like Thomas Mapfumo (Zimbabwe) and Sevara Nazarkhan (Uzbekistan) who probably wouldn't have seen the light of day otherwise.  Although Mapfumo appeared on Shanachie (another great world music label) before his association with Gabriel.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #422 on: July 06, 2007, 02:35:21 PM »

http://worldmusiccentral.org/artists/artist_page.php?id=1067

This picture was obviously taken when he was much younger. The article is more factually honest about what is at stake.  Again it was a particular generation, the divisions which had been caused by colonialism made us feel that Pan-Africanism was the very logical answer; you didn't have to participate unwillingly in the ideological conflicts of European conflicts of interest ,which of course are nowadays US/European conflicts of interest, plus additional Asian conflicts divided between their interests in European vs US  conflicts of Interest, much less Middle-Eastern, considering that Muslim connections had been previously becalmed by centuries of integration, until now.

The concert that I previously referred to as taking place, was it in Boulder,Colorado(?), is a tour by Fela Kuti's son, Femi Kuti.

To see a a Fela Kuti  performance as taped  at the Shrine is to catch on as to what this is really about. For starters, he was Yoruba. I had a friend back in Greenwich Village from Sugar Hill who used to follow a benighted Jack Kerouac around on his visits to the Five Spot,on the Bowery, that was because they both went to Columbia where Kerouac was on the football team. While life went on for me, with numerous Africans from different regions for whom housing was found while they studied in the US, by about the time I was sending my son off to junior-high in a new non-urban environment which was the real education, at the point in time when Kerouac died and the guys all went to Lowell for the funeral, my friend went to Africa and got made a chief.  The nytimes.com covered this a few years ago after he had been back for quite awhile in the same old big house on Sugar Hill which he'd inherited from his parents and where he'd open his art gallery of sculpture, heavy on the Yoruba .                 
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #423 on: July 06, 2007, 02:41:41 PM »

Ps. dzimas,

You dance along. That's where the political power of Fela Kuti was generated. Physical involvement, physically experienced, is the key of transmission to a higher level of political thought, within Africa anyway.
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #424 on: July 06, 2007, 02:47:29 PM »

I have explored a bit of the African flavor of world music, but still a rank amatuer in that regard.

But I cannot let the topic of world music be mentioned and not make mention of my favorite genre: Nordic.
http://www.amazon.com/Evocative-Nordic-Music/lm/R3QWVLMHERZGI3/ref=cm_lm_byauthor_title_full/102-1836052-2131349
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #425 on: July 06, 2007, 03:25:13 PM »

Maddie, don't get patronistic now.  I saw Fela once and he puts on a great show.  He wore his political conscience on his sleeve.  All power to him, but I liked what Manu Dibango had to say on the matter.  It is all about the music!
sgrobin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #426 on: July 06, 2007, 04:01:58 PM »

Hi Dzimas,

I guess given the pathetic state of American radio I shouldn’t expect anything, but I would have thought that some of the AAA (Adult Album Alternative I think)-formatted stations would have dipped their toes in the water a little more. LBM is quite accessible; offhand, I can think of songs from the Ali Farka Toure/Ry Cooder collaboration that would be worthy of being on the radio, and some others by, say, Baaba Maal and others. And sometimes they do get on the radio, but it seems only on certain types of radio shows.

Interesting that you would mention Peter Gabriel and his influence. I was never a fan of his music, until I heard Passion (the soundtrack to the Last Temptation of Christ). That got me into world music; I then bought Passion Sources ( an accompaniment of songs by contributors to Passion), then started buying from the Real World catalog. Some of the stuff isn’t all that great, but others are. I have that Sevara Nazerkhan album, which I enjoy, as well as a bunch of others (I love Iarla O’Lionard’s albums especially…)

I still get a kick out of Charlie Gillett’s occasional rants about Vanity Fair’s ‘world music’ edition a few years ago. Sting was the lead story and groups like Orchestra Baobab were farther back, as was Peter Gabriel. Sting’s prominence is what drives Gillett nuts. I guess everybody likes to pick on Sting; a few months ago Paul Weller famously and classlessly spit on a picture of Sting backstage at some venue. I love Weller and don’t care for Sting, but it wasn’t the Modfather’s shining moment.

Jacobs, what do you think of Icelandic music? If you're interested, David Byrne's radio program for this month is devoted to that country's tunes. Just go to davidbyrne.com and click on 'radio'. If not interested, well, no worries.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #427 on: July 06, 2007, 06:28:43 PM »

NP--Huey Lewis and the News: (She's) Some Kind of Wonderful.

I saw Huey Lewis in a small club in S.F., before their first record deal -- when they were known as Huey Lewis and American Express.  Obviously the attorneys didn't think that one was going to fly...

They were the warm-up band for either Greg Kihn or Dwight Twilley (can't remember which show it was now).   I recall they had a lot of energy and it was fun, after the first Album was released, reminiscing...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #428 on: July 06, 2007, 06:34:05 PM »

I don't know dzimas, perhaps it's our generation but then again you have other  connections to enjoying Lyle Lovett's music.  He reminds me of a Frenchman in the Cajun country who caught sand fleas/chiggers and had to make his living playing New Orleans bars and who will always be disappointed in love.

You just gotta Love Lyle -- dontcha?

I've been giving this a lot of thought...and after much reflection...can you make mine a ....

Cheeeeese burger...

TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #429 on: July 06, 2007, 06:36:34 PM »

Kurt Cobain's alleged suicide:  "Homicide," "Clinical Depression augmented by heroin addiction," or "the ultimate punk 'fuck you'"?

People think they are going to live forever and/or are exempt from the rules of the game.  If you play with fire there is a chance you will get burned...

Jim Morrison... Jimi Hendrix...  on and on...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #430 on: July 06, 2007, 06:39:40 PM »

I have to admit that Christina Aguilera's Candyman video turned my head:

It's funny that not too long ago, I used to think  Christina Aguilera was kind of a low life and Brittany Spears had it all together...how the worm turns...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #431 on: July 06, 2007, 06:41:53 PM »

I have always loved the poignance of this song: One Is the Lonliest Number.

Only one version...Three Dog Night...they had it
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #432 on: July 06, 2007, 06:45:31 PM »

Of course, Zulus do sing differently than French West Africans who sing in patois; one group being sometimes ex-warriors, while the other know they are griots. I nevertheless saw comments posted in the Babouraka ("kar kar") Touare performances that read in Ndebele; showing that the music was appreciated further southeast.

Holy Crap Mad...  What have you been drinking lately???

I knew you were smart and all that...but come on...
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #433 on: July 06, 2007, 06:46:47 PM »

I don't know dzimas, perhaps it's our generation but then again you have other  connections to enjoying Lyle Lovett's music.  He reminds me of a Frenchman in the Cajun country who caught sand fleas/chiggers and had to make his living playing New Orleans bars and who will always be disappointed in love.

You just gotta Love Lyle -- dontcha?

I've been giving this a lot of thought...and after much reflection...can you make mine a ....

Cheeeeese burger...

Exactly.     But, please, no Jax, on the side.  Maybe a Remy Martin for dessert.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #434 on: July 06, 2007, 06:51:49 PM »

Exactly.     But, please, no Jax, on the side.  Maybe a Remy Martin for dessert.

Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 66
  Print  

Jump to: