Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 21, 2018, 12:00:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 69
  Print  
Author Topic: Popular Music  (Read 17387 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #435 on: July 06, 2007, 06:55:39 PM »

Where do you think that Paul Simon's choral group LSM got their stomp? Works on the street. Which is why I said, Kar-Kar "rocks"when he plays the particular performance that was linked to this forum.  This is not what is currently how most people mean it  when they are excited about hearing something in particular.  It was a style of music, better known as, rock me baby rock me all night long. So there was no way it could have been described as "blues" musically.  In classical music, that would be known as a "mode",  so let's just say that Kar-kar was in "the mode", stylistically.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #436 on: July 07, 2007, 12:57:08 AM »

This is the version of Missa Luba that I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Missa-Luba-African-Guido-Haazen/dp/B00000412X/ref=sr_1_3/002-1948969-6965627?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1183784108&sr=1-3

Interesting that the music appeared on the movie If.... (1968).
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #437 on: July 07, 2007, 01:42:38 AM »

Miriam Makeba and Hugh Masakela were the first African performers I heard, but the first album I wore out was "Missa Luba" by Les Troubadours du Roi Badouin.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missa_Luba

A few years ago I found a new version of it for a C'mas present for a friend who loves choral singing. 2nd confession: when clerk in Virgin Megastore was having trouble finding it, I asked "How could you miss a Luba?"

Relax, no 3rd confession to come...

I'm glad you were brave enough to bring that up. For a moment there, I considered it yesterday and then said, nah, if they don't know what it sounds like, why bother. But, apparently, it made the rounds.  I have an awful feeling this is Religious Night.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #438 on: July 07, 2007, 01:54:38 AM »

Let's see, now. Bible down, steamy parts for Harrie. African Black Mass, Roman Catholic  version for the second act. No. maybe we do the parts Harrie wants to investigate as the prelude, not an ouverture, but why not  ouvert but tone down the overture aspects.  What comes after Missa Luba? Something for the third act, please.

I have to run check out the Montreaux....
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #439 on: July 07, 2007, 01:55:57 AM »

Grobin, the Ry Cooder/Ali Farka Toure album, Talking Timbuktu, is one of the most successful crossover albums I've heard.  They really draw off each other, and having Clarence Gatemouth Brown join in was a masterstroke.  Some of the songs are truly haunting.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #440 on: July 07, 2007, 04:47:59 AM »

As I remember, the Gumboot dance eminated from the mines of South Africa.  There was some vintage footage of gumboot dances on "Have You Seen Drum, Recently?" I also recall Simon referencing the gumboot dances as his introduction to South African music and dance.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #441 on: July 07, 2007, 02:04:36 PM »

Hmmmm.... You know that' the thing that's been bothering me. Before the areas' indigenous residents were forced to go to the mines to survive,they didn't wear gumboots. 

For the life of me, I've been trying to call up this picture to my mind--of how this used to look on television!  Just so I could get a handle on this and I kept getting this bunch of large, mesomorph to endomorphic body types of: men behaving like choir boys for choir director you know who because somehow they's all  been very well trained to conform whether or not they actually went to some kind of school administrated by he "Dutch" which seems unlikely. What happened to them afterwards, after television and tours and what not. I am now curious. Back to the mines?  Investments in the proper utilitarian things?

Why they would do that thing while working the mines (and which kind of mines did we have in mind here? Just so I get the context of the economics on that). Before the Boers and the Voortrekkers, those gumbooters used to raise one foot over ther head and then bring it down stomp; or, maybe I should have said because of? Anyway many of these pages are now going missing on schedules of deletion, so the battle of Verkop didn't even show up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Frontier_Wars
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #442 on: July 07, 2007, 02:16:59 PM »

Meanwhile, not to patronisticate:

http://www.montreuxjazz.com/videos/video_player_fr.aspx
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #443 on: July 07, 2007, 04:47:57 PM »

Maddie, my guess is that the dance was a way to pass the time after work, not some special way of mining for gold and diamonds, although maybe they put some of the diamonds on the soles of their feet, and the gumboots were a way to disguise their precious jewels.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #444 on: July 07, 2007, 04:52:35 PM »

Short history of gumboot dancing,

http://www.gumbootsworldtour.com/english/history.html

example of gumboot dancing,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg3NlQPWbu4
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #445 on: July 07, 2007, 05:41:40 PM »

dzimas re:#455 abd #456

Wah?

By the examples given in the second post, it does indeed look like passing the time after work  but this little slap and shuffle known as buck dancing is not what I was referring to and I'm beginning to see why the substitution of one thing for another.

Many times, in competing to see who could out do each other in buck and wing, --around the house, usually in the kitchen, we clapped our thighs red, and that after-effect came as quite a surprise to the male who thought of incorporating this into some bit of shtick he was going to do, but I'd had years of rough work on the studio floor in modern dance so that I didn't bruise easily. Considering the athletic record of the male in question that might seem surprising. Then there was getting the knack of playing the spoons which is neat if you can get the hang of it ,accompanying some elder on the washboard. These are just New Orleanian traditions.

But, nope, as I described previously, the stomping is a very elegant dance, done pretty much in imitation of how ostriches  display and fight for territory, that was adapted to be done in ranks just to get their blood up for pretty much the same purposes.

Something tells me, I will have to submit myself to the great noise and presence of Forest Whitaker to find anything even vaguely similar(for film purposes possibly as production value) but it is kind of unlikely with modern military uniforms in reviewing the troops. Besides it is regionally rather much apart.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #446 on: July 07, 2007, 05:42:54 PM »

OOps, wrong numbers relative to posts.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #447 on: July 08, 2007, 12:34:57 AM »

As usual, we were thinking of different things.  But, the dance can be much more elaborate.  There weren't that many examples available through Youtube.  As much as I enjoy these little tussles, I'm letting this one go at this point.
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #448 on: July 09, 2007, 11:51:13 AM »

Hot hot weekend in Cincy. I envy anyone living near a beach!!! 

NP: Hot Town Summer in the City [stoplights and all]:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AoGUuqF4jm0
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #449 on: July 10, 2007, 07:45:28 AM »

I wouldn't mind being on the beach right now.  It's been pretty gloomy in Vilnius the last few days. Lively up myself with a little Bob Marley,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2C-3iXZPLE
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 69
  Print  

Jump to: