Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 16, 2018, 04:28:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 69
  Print  
Author Topic: Popular Music  (Read 17219 times)
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #465 on: July 12, 2007, 08:56:51 AM »

Speaking of musical chameleons,

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tcRiXOONqf0

He seems to have taken European radio by storm.
sugarblues

K. I. S. S.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: July 12, 2007, 09:33:43 AM »

interesting song.....thanks for the link.....
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: July 12, 2007, 10:50:12 AM »

Mika is one of the new wave of sensitive guys...  Did that whole thing start with Black  15 years or so ago?  probably not but that's who I always think of...

Mika's pretty popular down here too.  They had him on the local Indy station down here that I listen to a few weeks ago.  I like a lot of his stuff, but a lot of it is really contrived and he seems to be in love with his falsetto and uses it way too much for my taste.  His recorded music is better than his live performances on the radio by a long shot...  though that's not uncommon--it was very pronounced in his case...

Check out Grace Kelly   This is an example of where is falsetto really does work pretty well.   And when he sings so I try a little Freddy I don't see how you can not find the resemblance to Freddy Mercury pretty astounding.  He's a talented guy...no doubt
sgrobin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: July 12, 2007, 11:18:26 AM »

Speaking of musical chameleons,

Speaking of speaking of musical chameleons, I was listening to the Chameleons' comeback album the other day and it was quite good. They were an under-rated British group from the eighties, but they broke up around 1987. They reunited in 2000, releasing a disc of acoustic versions of old songs, and then followed up a year later with a disc called Why Call It Anything. Atrocious album cover, but the music is great. They then broke up again, unfortunately.
sgrobin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: July 12, 2007, 11:18:56 AM »

I’m traveling overseas next week, and have been looking for some fresh stuff to put on my iPod before the trip. I found these and thought that I would let you guys know about it.

WFMU is a really odd station in NJ that features playlists from the bizarre to the beautiful. FMU makes some of its shows available in podcast form; the link is here: http://wfmu.org/podcast  I downloaded Do or DIY With People Like Us, which featured everything from Chinese pop to The Electric Light Orchestra, and Downtown Soulville with Mr. Fine Wine, which notwithstanding its Blaxploitation-sounding title, is a great hour of soul music. I don’t know how they get away with it; I thought that the RIAA went after podcasts with music, but it’s great for us. There are other podcasts at the link I posted, but those are the only two I tried out so far.

UVM’s radio station plays all sorts of eclectic stuff, and you can download entire shows. So far I downloaded a few reggae shows, a world music show, and a couple of eclectic/indie shows. And it was no problem putting them on my iPod. Here’s the link to the downloadable shows: http://www.uvm.edu/~wruv/?action=archives
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #470 on: July 12, 2007, 11:30:15 AM »

Mika's Grace Kelly

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uzA0nG_PurQ&mode=related&search=

should have posted it earlier
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #471 on: July 13, 2007, 12:32:52 AM »

Mika is very popular in our office.  The interns went to see him in Stockholm.  You are right about that falsetto voice, trojan.  I thought he was interesting in the way he harks back to Freddie Mercury on a few of the songs but that was about it for me.

The Chameleons slipped under my radar screen, grobin.  I was amused to see that Spinal Tap reunited for one of the live earth concerts.  I had to explain to my daughter who they were.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #472 on: July 13, 2007, 03:48:30 AM »

It is interesting how some pop musicians make successful crossing of the Atlantic and others don't.  Robbie Williams is still huge in Europe, but fell flat in America, even with the cute video he did with Nicole Kidman that was supposed to ease the transition.  Mika is quickly achieving the same European superstar status.  Not that I'm into any of this music, but with three youngsters in the house, MTV is on most of the day. 

Rap had no problem making the transition to Europe, and the rest of the world for that matter.  My son is all into Hip Hop, adopting many of the same affectations, in an Ali G sort of way.  I've been turning him onto some of the early Rap artists like Run DMC, Beastie Boys and Public Enemy, but found myself pleasantly surprised by some of the vibes of Cypress Hill, which pick up on a lot of interesting Mexican strains in their music.  Seems to be his favorite band at the moment.  I can't say I was ever a big Rap fan, but made an effort to appreciate this music.  The stuff today, however, is so blatantly narcissistic that I can't stand to listen to much of it.

My oldest daughter has branched out quite a bit.  As a result, I am forever hunting down my CD's as she is constantly sampling them.   
bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #473 on: July 13, 2007, 04:02:17 AM »

I saw Robbie Williams here several years ago with two friends in the record industry and I still can't figure out why he is such an attraction .He wasn't bad but he came off backstage as such a self important blowhard that I was turned off.He seems to think he is some kind of visionary instead of just another rock/pop singer.

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #474 on: July 13, 2007, 04:12:22 AM »

One of my favorite Brit Dance/Pop acts is The Pet Shop Boys.They have a style that is only theirs and put together some great albums.Not serious music but really good at what they do.My friend happened to be the art director for the early albums here on EMI and I spent a night with him/them on a photo shoot on Santa Monica Pier.One guy asked Neil Tennant if he listened to Al Stewart and Tennant did not like the comparison at all.The question came up many times here in the states.

Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #475 on: July 13, 2007, 06:08:33 AM »

I didn't know you were so well acquainted with the music biz, bosox.  The Pet Shop Boys were recently in Vilnius, but alas I never was a very big fan of them.  More an English Beat fan with that funky mix of reggae and pop chords at the time.  It is interesting to see these 80s acts now the elder statesmen of Techno-music, or House music as they call it today.  I much prefer groups like De Phazz and Pink Martini with their throwback style to the 50s and early 60s.  De Phazz will be in Vilnius this fall,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY1ehv6-NJ4

I share your sentiments in regard to Robbie Williams.  The guy sells out shows in Europe though, which means a big ego comes with it.  Kind of like the Beckham of the Euro-pop music world.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: July 13, 2007, 01:37:22 PM »

I saw Robbie Williams here several years ago with two friends in the record industry and I still can't figure out why he is such an attraction .He wasn't bad but he came off backstage as such a self important blowhard that I was turned off.He seems to think he is some kind of visionary instead of just another rock/pop singer.

A lot of folks are saying the same thing about John Mayer now...

Personally, I think he's got the chops...but he's turning a LOT of people off with his attitude...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #477 on: July 13, 2007, 01:39:18 PM »

You are right about that falsetto voice, trojan. 

I forget which movie it was..I believe Amadeus, where they talk about a "greedy, showoff songbird"

This is the line I thought of when I was listening to him continuing to move up the scale over and over again...
bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #478 on: July 14, 2007, 02:51:00 AM »

Dzimas,As far as the Music Biz It has been a while since I had ins from my buddies.My friend from EMI was art director there went to NY when the label moved from L.A.and then jumped to RCA where he was VP of creative but sick of the hours so went Freelance which means lots of golf and a gig sometimes.He is golf buddies with George Thorogood's manager and has done his artwork of late.I had dinner w/my buddy and the manager several years ago and during dinner talk it turned out this guy was Jimmy Webbs manager also so I got him to send me an autographed copy of El Mirage one of my fave albums of all time.When he was with EMI out here in the mid 80's early 90's I got to go to a lot of shows and shoots so it was fun.My friend at Capitol who took me to the Robbie Thompson show is out of the Bizz now.The Thompson thing would have been 1999.But through the EMI friend I got to meet a lot of folks some really nice and some real jerks.The after show parties backstage were always interesting.One of the best memories was taking a Bass player out from the Wailers/Ziggy Marley Melody Makers tour out w/ my friend for his first ever Sushi.He loved it and the next two times in town we all went out for sushi again.I also will never forget the very large "joints" some of the boys from Burning Spear were smoking at the after show party at the Greek in L.A. when they opened for The Wailers and Ziggy but that was  back in the mid-80's.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 02:54:45 AM by bosox18d » Logged

bosox18d

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #479 on: July 14, 2007, 03:21:10 AM »

P.S. The best show I saw for free was a band called Black 47 out of NYC that EMI had play a small Irish bar called Molly Malones on Fairfax in L.A..The first album was killer a mix of Irish music/Clash/Reggae.The smallest show I saw was when they signed Robert Palmer though I saw him w/Power Station before that.Power Station was a strange venue for Palmer but at his debut show for EMI folks and friends in a hotel ballroom he did a great version of the Isleys"Harvest for the World" followed by "Simply Irresistible" then launched into a strange versionof Jermaine Jacksons?"Tell me I'm not Dreaming" I notice tonight that all the old EMI stuff seems to be showing up as Capitol but back in the mid 80's EMI was a seperate label and EMI was moved to NYC so they would have an East coast label.I think both labels were British owned back then.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 69
  Print  

Jump to: