Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 17, 2018, 05:44:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 66
  Print  
Author Topic: Popular Music  (Read 10697 times)
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #555 on: August 11, 2007, 02:59:25 PM »

Lyle Lovett facinates the hell out of me.  I never get tired of looking at him.  Talk about one-of-a-kind, well, he's the benchmark for that is all I can say.  I like the way he sings, too, although I like to spread him in and around other selections--he's like John Denver in that the tunes he sets his lyrics to are same-same most of the time.
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #556 on: August 11, 2007, 06:13:45 PM »

Lyle Lovett is enjoyed chez nous, he & Bonnie Raitt were last concert hubs & I went to.  They had a fabulous black woman singer with 'em whose name alas, I can't recall (and shame on me) but I say thanks for the reminder to try and find out.  Thanks!
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #557 on: August 11, 2007, 09:23:58 PM »

I hate this fucking Vista.  I've lost two posts just now.j  I  guess I will have to write it on Word and paste it on here.  Anyone else have Vista out therje?

Listening to Dylan's Blood on the Tracks.  When listening to Simple Twist of Fate I think he's singing about Baez but it's his ex-wife.  I also love Lily,
Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts.  I keep trying to get a handle on it and it just slips away.  But that's Dylan. 

I’m listening to the Traveling Wilbury Collection which I just received and I love it.  The DVD is priceless watching them make the first album (Orbison died after the first one) and to see Dylan having fun singing those silly and wonderful songs.  I love Petty doing “I wrote a long letter on a short piece of paper.”  And to see the video of End of the Line with the rocking chair holding Orbison’s guitar is still poignant after all these years.

And I never heard a funnier send up of a plumb pitiful folk ballad as Nobody’s Child.  Absolutely priceless.  I love this collection.

Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #558 on: August 12, 2007, 10:18:47 AM »

Lyle Lovett facinates the hell out of me.  I never get tired of looking at him.  Talk about one-of-a-kind, well, he's the benchmark for that is all I can say.  I like the way he sings, too, although I like to spread him in and around other selections--he's like John Denver in that the tunes he sets his lyrics to are same-same most of the time.

Not a bad actor either.  Not sure I can agree with John Denver comparison though.  Lovett sings in a completely different vein to my ear.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #559 on: August 12, 2007, 11:21:59 AM »

You betcha.
Ricolo

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #560 on: August 12, 2007, 11:57:40 AM »

Lovett has better lyrics than John Denver, more poignant, he is more of a story teller, but the quality is uneven. I watched him in The Player and he was funny, although Whoopi Goldberg stole every scene she was in.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #561 on: August 12, 2007, 01:25:19 PM »

Dzimas, there is no comparison between Lovett and Denver (to me) except for the sometimes sameness in the patterns of the melody creations.  Perhaps a bad choice by me.  I don't care for Denver myself except that my Mother in her last years was enamored of a few of his songs and liked to hear them over and over--she had had a stroke--so I'm sentimental about some of Demver's work.  Lovett, now, he does have range.  Still, there seems to me, a going over ground that has already been plowed to some of his work.  What do I know.  Nothing modern, that's for sure.  I mean I think a nice evening of muscial listening would be Keb' Mo', Paul Desmond (Take Ten), Russian male choirs, Sweet Honey From The Rock, and Randy Newman.

I better go back to lurking.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #562 on: August 12, 2007, 03:03:25 PM »

donotremove:

"madupont
Superhero Member

Re: Popular Music
« Reply #356 on: June 28, 2007, 12:04:22 PM » Quote Modify Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know dzimas, perhaps it's our generation but then again you have other  connections to enjoying Lyle Lovett's music.  He reminds me of a Frenchman in the Cajun country who caught sand fleas/chiggers and had to make his living playing New Orleans bars and who will always be disappointed in love."

Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #563 on: August 12, 2007, 03:10:35 PM »

Lovett has a great sense of humor underneath that ten-gallon hat.  Love him or leave him.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #564 on: August 12, 2007, 03:13:22 PM »

Don't lurk, DNR.  By no means do I wish to cut you off.  I'm not totally turned off to Denver.  In fact I have one of his concert albums, and he draws deep on "Leaving on a Jet Plane," perhaps too deep. But Lovett mixes humor with pathos.  I never tire of him, like I do Denver.
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #565 on: August 13, 2007, 09:36:17 AM »

Another strong vote for Lyle Lovett.

Also have great affection for Sweet Honey and the Rock.

Keb Mo' is quite good when he truly does the blues. But when he slings swarmy songs of his own creation, he sinks like a rock. Same is true for Eric Bibb.

As for the female black singer who performed with Bonnie Rait, I will venture a wild guess that it might have been Ruth Brown? She appears with Bonnie on a numer of her cuts.
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #566 on: August 13, 2007, 03:59:02 PM »

jacobs:

I was listening to Philly last night and heard an artist that made me sit up and take notice: Abigail washburn.  Do you know anything about her?  I only heard one song but I wrote her name down to remember to seek her out on amazon.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #567 on: August 13, 2007, 04:25:18 PM »

Styx

Renegade!
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #568 on: August 13, 2007, 04:37:17 PM »

lULU--KNOW LOTS ABOUT HER AND SHE IS ABSOLUTELY TOP RATE!!! GET EVERYTHING BY HER YOU CAN LAY YOUR HANDS ON!! SHE PLAYS WITH THE SPARROW QT. WHICH FEATURES BELA FLECK.
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #569 on: August 13, 2007, 09:15:40 PM »

Thanks very much for the reference, cincy, but this woman was younger than Ruth Brown (whose singing I know somewhat).  Her style and voice could also bring down the house (or outdoor arena, as the case may be).  And as for Sweet Honey In The Rock, what can I say when I've said Amen!  I almost wore out one of their tapes when my kid was younger, & my husband uses their "I'm Young & Positive" song/chant with his students, has them do it at school assemblies, etc., keeping hope alive, as it were.)

Yeah, donotremove, c'mon back, y'hear?  What could be more "to each his own" than popular music, after all, and folks in here are sharin' the pleasures, not makin' judgments, it seems to me.

Speaking of Lyle Lovett's acting, true The Player was swell, but what I cannot forget is his catfish skinning/gutting in Cookie's Fortune.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 09:50:41 PM by nytempsperdu » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 66
  Print  

Jump to: