Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 21, 2018, 11:36:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 66
  Print  
Author Topic: Popular Music  (Read 11270 times)
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #585 on: August 24, 2007, 09:29:25 AM »

Watched John McLaughlin, Zakir Hussain and friends "Remembering Shakti" on Mezzo last night.  A beautiful night of music in Bombay,

lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #586 on: August 24, 2007, 09:34:24 PM »

jacobs:

I'm listening to Abigail Washburn's Songs of the Traveling Daughter; excellent.  I have to have more of her cds.  She's great.  Reminds me of Gillian Welsh with the spare sounds of her songs, and, of course, the banjo.  Thank goodness for the computer and for being able to listen to Gene Shay and Folk Alley on WXPN.  You should tune in that station.

Im off to amazon to get more.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #587 on: August 25, 2007, 08:28:56 AM »

I got a kick out of the Puppini Sisters, especially their rendition of "I Will Survive,"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-62ed8TfM9E&mode=related&search=

They also do a fun version of "Heart of Glass" on Betcha Bottom Dollar,

http://www.amazon.com/Betcha-Bottom-Dollar-Puppini-Sisters/dp/B000O17152/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-5711346-4722226?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1188044904&sr=1-1
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #588 on: August 25, 2007, 09:04:10 AM »

Been listening to Nanci Griffith Other Voices, Other Rooms and Other Voice, Too (Trip to Bountiful).

She's such a wonderful singer; the first album is better than the second but on the second what singers: Richard Thompson, Odetta, Ian Tyson (no mistaking his voice, even though older), the great Dave Van Ronk, Iris DeMent, John Prine.  Some of the arrangements are tacky but it's great to hear such wonderful voices.  I love her respect for singers/songwriters who get so little attention these days;  I disliked her version of Sylvia Fricker's You Were on My Mind with it's Woo, hoo, etc. 

Emmylou's Bluebird, a great album with a lovely version of Hiatt's Icy Cold Heart and her Elite Hotel, the album that introduced me to her and a lifelong (so far) addiction to her.  It's been thirty odd years since I bought that album and I still love it.

Abigail Washburn's Song of the Traveling Daughter.  She reminds me of Kasey Chambers.  What drives me crazy about Washburn is the inability to understand what she's singing (without reading lyrics).  However, I used to have the same trouble on some of Emmylou's recordings before getting used to her voice.  The great soprano, Joan Sutherland, is notorious for her mushy singing.

Great music this morning.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #589 on: August 26, 2007, 03:53:41 AM »

I like Other Voices, Other Rooms very much as well, lulu,  as Nanci Griffith does a number of great collaborative efforts on that album.  I got a chance to see her up in Michigan at the time that album came out.  Also, love Emmylou Harris' Bluebird, one of her best efforts.  Recently bought one of Maria McKee solo efforts.  It was sad that Lone Justice had such a hard time gaining an audience, but it seems that Maria McKee has done pretty well on her own.  Hard to believe it has been 20 years.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #590 on: August 26, 2007, 12:45:13 PM »

lulu,re:#596

I fondly remember Miss Odetta, at the time, although in the late Fifties, she was married to her manager(and then,after 1961, went to see her play--Nancy Mannigoe, directed by Tony Richardson[who may or may not have been Vanessa Redgrave's husband at that precise moment but at some point before he did,Charge of the Light Brigade].  I didn't recall Yves Montand at all, isn't that strange? I disliked Lee Remick and Bradford Dillman too much to spit.

This was of course back then the most recent production of Sanctuary, by Faulkner.
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #591 on: August 27, 2007, 01:17:43 PM »

LULU--glad but not surprised that you are enjoying Washburn. Haven't had trouble grasping her lyrics, but to me those are icing on the cake in any event.

Odetta--the woman has a voice, but her stylings come across to me as stitled and boring.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #592 on: August 27, 2007, 03:13:17 PM »

First time I've heard anyone call Odetta boring.  I like her earlier recordings better, but was pleased with "Lookin' for a Home."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #593 on: August 28, 2007, 10:30:25 AM »

re:#585 spinoff from Martha Graham who studied at Denishawn (so did Louise Brooks) with Ruth St.Denis and Ted Shawn who bought what was to become Jacob's Pillow,in 1931.  Here is what it originally was:

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2007/08/20/arts/20070820_WINGS_SLIDESHOW_6.html

A safe-house on the Underground Railway, today known as Perry Farm
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #594 on: August 28, 2007, 11:41:08 AM »

dzmas--just goes to show you...there is a first time for everything. The lady bores me to tears...just contrast her with Sweet Honey, Ruthie Foster, or any other number of singers who inject true spirit into their presentations!!
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #595 on: August 28, 2007, 11:48:26 AM »

dzmas--just goes to show you...there is a first time for everything. The lady bores me to tears...just contrast her with Sweet Honey, Ruthie Foster, or any other number of singers who inject true spirit into their presentations!!

I think that is mostly because she sings an "older style", less upbeat, more mournful, none the less a style of "spirituals" from church singing that later became incorporated in the Blues as keyed to it or vice-versa; but, I know what you mean, if you are used to one thing,the other thing won't do.
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #596 on: August 28, 2007, 12:50:37 PM »

Its not that madu. I like lots of older style singers. It is because she is so overly meticulous and fussy in pronouncing every damned syllable of every damned word. She robs the music of its power and vitality.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #597 on: August 28, 2007, 12:53:52 PM »

Now you've gone too far.  To say that Odetta robs music of its power and vitality is just plain nuts.  Obviously, you don't like her cinci, but don't put her down like that.
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #598 on: August 28, 2007, 04:36:00 PM »

Hmmmmm....your command is my duty? Yeah, right. She is second rate, at best. You like her, fine.
sgrobin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #599 on: August 28, 2007, 10:10:31 PM »

My PBS station had a special on Stax Records a few weeks ago and I'm just getting around to watching it. Wonderful, wonderful stuff. Otis Redding was just a lucky pickup for them; he was a roadie for some other artist and begged for a chance to do an audition. Wow'ed them.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 66
  Print  

Jump to: