Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 16, 2018, 04:30:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 69
  Print  
Author Topic: Popular Music  (Read 17220 times)
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #600 on: August 29, 2007, 03:42:48 AM »

Sad hearing all the bad news surrounding Amy Winehouse. The young woman has loads of talent and I think Back in Black is one of the best albums of 2007, but it seems heroin has taken its toll on the young British star.  However, I was appalled to hear Blake Fielder-Civil's father (Amy's father-in-law) this morning on BBC pleading with listeners to boycott her concerts, not that any are currently scheduled, and not buy any more records.  He has even asked the British music industry to snub her at the Mercury awards.  Whatever Amy's and Blake's problems are, she doesn't deserved to be snubbed. 
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #601 on: August 30, 2007, 08:09:24 PM »

Jacobs:

We agree to disagree (rare) but I love Odetta.  So, there.

Smiley

Hope all is well.  Everyone have a great Labor Day and don't labor.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #602 on: August 31, 2007, 04:38:51 AM »

Miriam Makeba's breakthrough album,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000023ZGH/ref=ord_cart_shr/203-2286297-0228752?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #603 on: August 31, 2007, 04:39:41 AM »

Same to you, lulu. 
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #604 on: September 01, 2007, 05:47:18 PM »

Jacobs:

Listening to my  favorite folk show, Gene Shay, and some great stuff:  Leo Kottke (Vaseline Machine Gun) with great guitar playing; Taj Mahal (one of the all-time greats) Cakewalk into Town, Fairport Convention.  Nanci Griffith, Boots of Spanish Leather.  One of my favorites, Vincent Black Lightning 1952.  Thompson is one of the all-time great songwriters.  Patty Loveless did a great job on his "Keep  Your Distance."
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #605 on: September 01, 2007, 06:57:56 PM »

Jacobs:

I just heard a wonderful, wonderful singer named Priscilla Herdman and I just have to have her albums.  I assume you have heard of her (since you are always ahead of me).  She sang "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda" and it was one of the most powerful anti-war songs I have ever heard.

What a beautiful voice; one of the loveliest since a young Judy Collins came along.
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #606 on: September 01, 2007, 10:27:01 PM »

Ah, Lulu, my Aussie-by-adoption (late) brother just loved that song, as he also loved other Aussie anti-war works, like Breaker Morant, Gallipoli, for example.  Your mentioning it brings back so much, many thanks.   
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #607 on: September 02, 2007, 04:22:32 AM »

I certainly won't hold your feelings regarding Odetta against you, cincy.  So many other artists to discuss in this forum.  I have to say, I've become hooked on all the news surrounding Amy Winehouse, who I think is wonderful young talent.  This battle between fathers is really something, apparently nearly reaching blows when ever they appear together in the same venue.  It is hard to imagine that Amy is solely responsible for dragging her husband into the world of sex, drugs and rock and roll, but it seems that's the way Blake's father reads it.  Of course, the music industry has had its share of drug abusers, but that shouldn't exclude these artists from being recognized by the industry, which is what Amy's father-in-law would like the music industry to do.  If that was the case, we may never have heard little more than a peep out of Janis Joplin.  It is a shame that heroin has reared its ugly head again in the biz.  I really don't understand the appeal of the drug, but then I guess that's because I never tried it.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #608 on: September 02, 2007, 12:01:45 PM »

DON'T.  It causes a very short life span that the user was not figuring on. They may have felt down about life to start with --that is the appeal to the user when heroin makes you feel so much better about life; it becomes a little zombiesque after a time because you aren't really doing any living just keeping your habit together. Most of the time,the user is asleep, nodding; I'd have to guess that is comparable to the life stage of a very elderly person.

Users simply don't realize the reality of usage; just think they do. By the time that a somewhat talented person figures out how to clean  up, there is no more cleaning up. They adjust their level if they are really creative and appear to have an astounding creative period (which they could have had earlier); now, when their fans(I'm discussing music, here)expect to hear great things out of them, while their colleagues and peers who have been there/done that,and know better are not surprised, and those who were always wary just nod their heads, and shrug their shoulders to let you know they always knew what would happen, that's it, their life suddenly comes to an end because they didn't realize that there is an average twenty  year span before your health gives way suddenly and you're dead.

It's not like any of this is new.  Very old musicians can tell you because they were around when even "older" important figures had the habit.

I only learned to appreciate Joplin's style, by which I mean Janis and not Scott, when I realized they had  a time period of musicality in common; you may not think Janis sounds anything like ragtime but she does come out of the era(musically, again I'm speaking of when the style was around)when, with a slight adjustment of tempo, it was alright for a blatant screacher to express herself in a repetition which sometimes sounded like church on a bad Sunday. Of course, Janis being Janis, I don't know that she wasn't a Holy Roller, but I have to use this quote because it so perfectly expresses a couple of things,"pioneered an entirely new range of expression for white women".

That about says it. Something that was very common on the dark side of segregation, seemed to have gone through a synthesizer incorporating a few other influences and came out into an era when the above quote meant to say that white men were not used to the idea of the musicianship of women and whether or not they really wanted them around. San Francisco may have been an unusual area where this could come together equitably.  On the other hand, black men were not too keen on her sound which they seemed to imply  had been handled "better" before the "new Rock age"? 

For instance, the person I am actually describing in my opening paragraphs simply abhored being asked to play Rock, in the way that hired radio,tv,studio musicians were expected to play, or that some entrepreneur cobbled together an entertainment, when the musician himself wanted to be a creative musician per se and whose habit followed close upon revering everything that Charlie Parker laid down.

Why am I not surprised that Janis got into speed before smack, since it would seem to have an influence on her style. Heroin was probably no more than the "medicine" necessary to adjust her level of strain keeping up with her stylistic choice.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #609 on: September 03, 2007, 06:39:55 AM »

I don't plan on trying heroin, maddie, so not to worry.  I remember Clapton railing against some rock group for glamorizing heroin in one of their songs a few years ago.  I see he has made a number of redresses since breaking his addiction back in the 70s, including opening up Crossroads Centre at Antigua,

http://crossroadsantigua.org/website/index.html

Reading his bio, the guy has gone through hell and back several times with his drug addictions and alcoholism, not to mention the loss of his son back in '91.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #610 on: September 04, 2007, 04:45:54 AM »

Speaking of Clapton, I've really been enjoying The Road to Escondido,

ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #611 on: September 04, 2007, 07:38:26 PM »

heroin is just a hideout for some.

when the road to hell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=060hM-JVClg

finds you in a hellhole

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b_wdRsnoog

run like hell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYd6mCAcQw8

and dance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNF_P281Uu4
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #612 on: September 04, 2007, 07:40:20 PM »

or get lost in the celluloidal

the good,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKlxyoPNaFI

the bad,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzX2VuL2JnI

and the oboe,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRb8KKyenSY
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #613 on: September 04, 2007, 08:51:48 PM »

Just as my daughter was heading off to her oboe lesson, ponderosa passed on some inspiration!  Thanks very much, indeed.
sgrobin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #614 on: September 05, 2007, 09:44:17 AM »

not to mention the loss of his son back in '91.

I can't believe it has been that long. Very sad.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 69
  Print  

Jump to: