Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 22, 2018, 12:50:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 67
  Print  
Author Topic: Popular Music  (Read 11312 times)
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #675 on: September 27, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »

Just hooked up my cheapo Sony turntable to my kickass HK system, got some of the ol' vinyl out

Rafferty's Baker Street.  Sweeeeeeeeeeet.

------------------------

Meanwhile ................Little Feat and Furay tomorrow at Westbury. Oh yeahhhhh.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #676 on: September 27, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »

Meanwhile ................Little Feat and Furay tomorrow at Westbury. Oh yeahhhhh.

Oooh... not to get into a good, better, or best argument, but Richie Hayward is one of the most active and entertaining drummers I have ever had the good fortune to see perform.
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #677 on: September 28, 2007, 12:39:21 AM »

Please review the Little Feat performance for us--my husband is a big fan, and they can even get me up to dance, no little feat (tho' mine are, rather, compared to his size 13s!).
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #678 on: September 28, 2007, 09:59:01 AM »

I watched the dvds of the Johnny Cash Show from 1969 to 1971 (the years I lived in NY) and it was wonderful watching.  I watched them straight through (over four hours worth) and what a joy to watch.  (Less Johnny and more the guests.)  A very, very young Waylon Jennings before the been and camaflouge (sp?).  And Bob Dylan, neat and clean and wearing a suit and looking of so young, singing with Johnny.  James Taylor when Sweet Baby James came out (I remember that show quite well.

Johnny Cash refused to remove the word "stoned" from Sunday Morning Coming Down as ABC requested he do saying it would compromise the integrity of the song and that Kristofferson wrote it that way.

He insisted Pete Seeger appear even though Seeger was still blacklisted (IN THE SEVENTIES, FOR GOD'S SAKE) and there they  were: Seeger and Cash.

Johnny really was a god!  He supported Dylan when Dylan plugged in and idiots (like myself) were furious.  Dylan never forgot Johnny's support.

If you love Cash, this set is a treasure.  And so was Cash.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #679 on: September 28, 2007, 04:03:47 PM »

Onstage, “Last to Die” is followed, as it is on the album, by a song called “Long Walk Home.” In the first verse, the speaker travels to some familiar hometown spots and experiences an alienation made especially haunting by the language in which he describes it: “I looked into their faces/They were all rank strangers to me.” That curious, archaic turn of phrase — rank strangers — evokes an eerie old mountain lament of the same title, recorded by the Stanley Brothers.
“In that particular song a guy comes back to his town and recognizes nothing and is recognized by nothing,” Mr. Springsteen said. “The singer in ‘Long Walk Home,’ that’s his experience. His world has changed. The things that he thought he knew, the people who he thought he knew, whose ideals he had something in common with, are like strangers. The world that he knew feels totally alien. I think that’s what’s happened in this country in the past six years.”

http://tinyurl.com/2uscqv

TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #680 on: September 28, 2007, 06:42:52 PM »

Just hooked up my cheapo Sony turntable to my kickass HK system, got some of the ol' vinyl out

so,  you're not a kid after all?

Good to know...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #681 on: September 28, 2007, 06:44:34 PM »

Jimmy Buffett tomorrow night.   

Haven't seen him live in about...20 years -- and he was old then!   

goodness how the time flies
bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #682 on: September 29, 2007, 01:44:27 AM »

Last time I saw him was outdoors in Irvine about 20 years back.

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #683 on: September 29, 2007, 12:19:22 PM »

so,  you're not a kid after all?

Good to know...

You don't know who Kid Carter is?

Shame
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #684 on: September 29, 2007, 06:19:39 PM »

I just received Emmylou's Songbird retro (4 cds, one dvd; one hardbound book on her history, recordings, etc.).  It is a magnificent package, costing me $60.

What pisses me off (and others on amazon who bought it) is the fact that to get the discs out you practically have to rip them out of the sleeves.  They are stuck inside sleeves with no room to move or flexibility to get the disc out safely.  What morons thought of this setup??  They spent so much money on  the beautiful packaging except figuring out how the consumer can remove the discs without destroying the package.

It is such a gorgeous package, especially the book.  I dread trying to take out the cds.  Pathetic!
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #685 on: September 30, 2007, 11:42:38 AM »

Jimmy Buffett tomorrow night.   

Haven't seen him live in about...20 years -- and he was old then!   

goodness how the time flies

I guess it may indicate how old I am, but Jimmy Buffett lost me around the time he came out with the Volcano album.  The Fins song in particular. 
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #686 on: October 01, 2007, 02:35:31 AM »

I just received Emmylou's Songbird retro (4 cds, one dvd; one hardbound book on her history, recordings, etc.).  It is a magnificent package, costing me $60.

What pisses me off (and others on amazon who bought it) is the fact that to get the discs out you practically have to rip them out of the sleeves.  They are stuck inside sleeves with no room to move or flexibility to get the disc out safely.  What morons thought of this setup??  They spent so much money on  the beautiful packaging except figuring out how the consumer can remove the discs without destroying the package.

It is such a gorgeous package, especially the book.  I dread trying to take out the cds.  Pathetic!

I suppose they think this kind of packaging evokes the old vinyls, but at least they came with liner sleeves, which CD packages like this should do as well.  I prefer the long books like the Santana and ELO box sets came in.
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #687 on: October 01, 2007, 09:54:38 AM »

Warsaw Village Band is awesome. Youtube has a number of their videos and songs. Here is a particularly good and rhythmic one:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QqGN23fn6j0
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #688 on: October 01, 2007, 05:52:40 PM »

Relief: I managed to extricate the cds.  Emmylou is a goddess and this set is worth it.  Some really rare tracks I never heard and some I have heard.  I'm listening to her sing How High the Moon, an old old standard, that sounds great sung by Emmylou in a swing arrangement, a side of her I never heard before and it's fun.  This singer can do almost anything well.  I never knew she cowrote several songs with Rodney Crowell.  The booklet (or tiny book) is almost worth the price of the whole set.

If you love Emmylou, then I highly recommend this boxed set.  It's a treasure (even if it takes some doing to figure out how to extricate the discs.  Haven't seen the dvd yet.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #689 on: October 01, 2007, 06:22:48 PM »

Can you post the list of songs?

Thanks
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 67
  Print  

Jump to: