Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 20, 2018, 10:27:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 69
  Print  
Author Topic: Popular Music  (Read 17364 times)
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #735 on: October 19, 2007, 01:24:19 PM »

"Must have something to do with where choo-choo go. Mongo only pawn in game of life." Roll Eyes

lol
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #736 on: October 20, 2007, 06:42:51 PM »

Jacobs:

I've been listening to Folk Alley on the radio station of U of Pennsylvania with my old friend, Gene Shay, who has run a folk music station since the sixties in Philly.  It was on his folk station that I heard Steeleye Span and he's great.  I just heard Priscilla Herdman's And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda, a potent antiwar song if ever.  He also played Steve and Stacey Earle, back to back.  He plays great stuff and you should check out this station.  Old and new friends.  Right now Baez.

http://www.xponentialmusic.org/live_streams/xpn.php

I love Springsteen's new cd, Magic.  The man just keeps maturing and maturing and you know he has two political songs on this album.
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #737 on: October 20, 2007, 11:38:59 PM »

Don't wanna cut into the disc golf playing time.

Another disc golfer, like my son-in-law!  If you ever find yourself in San Francisco (as so many have) the course in Golden Gate Park is quite nicely recently redone.  I bet SIL would go 'round with you.  He found a group online to play when in Vienna not long ago, but they used portable equipment and had to play around kids & families.  Not so in GG Park or Berkeley or other sites in the area.     

So as not to go too far from music talk, a band he & my daughter saw last night is Go Team, about which I have yet to learn.         
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #738 on: October 21, 2007, 07:54:07 AM »

Don't wanna cut into the disc golf playing time.

Another disc golfer, like my son-in-law!  If you ever find yourself in San Francisco (as so many have) the course in Golden Gate Park is quite nicely recently redone.  I bet SIL would go 'round with you.  He found a group online to play when in Vienna not long ago, but they used portable equipment and had to play around kids & families.  Not so in GG Park or Berkeley or other sites in the area.     

So as not to go too far from music talk, a band he & my daughter saw last night is Go Team, about which I have yet to learn.         

Well, as a matter of fact, I got a friend livin' in Berkeley (he plays as well) who I haven't visited in a couple of years. As another matter of fact, I saw his Dad last night. Don't have any immediate plans to head that way right now, but I'll hold that thought. Shoot me a message if you want to hook up my friend with your son-in-law.

Saw a brass band play at a party last night. Pretty impressive. They played everything from Beatles, to surf music, to New York, New York.
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #739 on: October 21, 2007, 08:15:14 PM »

Son-in-law plays often enough in Berkeley, they may have met or belong to the same league or whatever disc golfers call their groups--I almost said circles--oops, did anyway.  Happy throws to y'all.

Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #740 on: October 22, 2007, 12:08:16 AM »

Used to play disc golf when I was in college, only we called it Folf, or frisbee golf.  That was 25 years ago, glad to see it still is played.  Sounds like it has become highly competitive.

Speaking of Berkeley/SF, I see there are a slew of live albums by Jefferson Airplane that have become available, including this one,

http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Gate-Park-Jefferson-Airplane/dp/B000IHY1EQ/ref=pd_bxgy_m_text_b/002-4086232-9828850
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 01:47:25 AM by Dzimas » Logged
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #741 on: October 22, 2007, 09:59:05 AM »

whatever disc golfers call their groups--I almost said circles--oops, did anyway.

I call 'em 'herds'.
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #742 on: October 23, 2007, 11:24:35 AM »

lulu--Haven't heard the new Springsteen, but the new John Fogarty disc, Revival, has some great moments. Also enjoying Hillstomp, The Woman That Ended the World.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #743 on: October 24, 2007, 08:27:11 AM »

I see Prince's Purple Rain was picked as best Soundtrack of All Time by Vanity Fair,

"Purple Rain" topped the chart even though it was described as "perhaps the best badly acted film ever," editors at Vanity Fair said, while "Trainspotting" came in at No. 7 and "Saturday Night Fever" was eighth.

The Vanity Fair editors said the "Purple Rain" soundtrack was a flawless combination of "funk, R&B, pop, metal, and even psychedelia into a sound that defined the '80s."

"A Hard Day's Night" came in a No. 2, followed by "The Harder They Come," "Pulp Fiction," "The Graduate" and "Superfly." "American Graffiti" and "The Big Chill" rounded out the top 10.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071024/lf_nm_life/soundtracks_dc

I guess we will have to wait until next month for an explanation for this.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 03:00:55 PM by Dzimas » Logged
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #744 on: October 24, 2007, 11:00:41 AM »

The Sting wasn't even mentioned huh?
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #745 on: October 24, 2007, 05:20:20 PM »

The Sting wasn't even mentioned huh?

Wasn't he in QuadropheniaRoll Eyes
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #746 on: October 24, 2007, 05:46:25 PM »

No 'Idolmaker'?

Bollocks!
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #747 on: October 24, 2007, 07:18:16 PM »

Wasn't he in QuadropheniaRoll Eyes

Excellent Point... "Quadrophenia" should definitely qualify as one of the best "Sountracks" of all time...
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #748 on: October 25, 2007, 07:23:39 AM »

Does Quadrophenia qualify as having a soundtrack or was it scored?
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #749 on: October 25, 2007, 07:30:10 AM »

Patton and Jaws come to mind when I think of great scores. We need another list!
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 69
  Print  

Jump to: