Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 22, 2018, 01:53:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 68
  Print  
Author Topic: Popular Music  (Read 13738 times)
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #915 on: March 10, 2008, 04:03:23 AM »

If people are still worried about the message BOC is sending out after all these years, they have to do a reality check. I don't see a significant portion of our population given over to Satanism as a result of "Don't Fear the Reaper."  I mean if you are going to go after such dubious lyrics, what about the Eagles' "Hotel California."

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #916 on: March 10, 2008, 12:13:58 PM »

If people are still worried about the message BOC is sending out after all these years, they have to do a reality check. I don't see a significant portion of our population given over to Satanism as a result of "Don't Fear the Reaper."  I mean if you are going to go after such dubious lyrics, what about the Eagles' "Hotel California."

Maybe they think it's about a lovely little B&B, I don't know.  But I was able to find a reference -
http://bgb.malibulist.com/archives/2004/08/dont_fear_the_s.html
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #917 on: March 10, 2008, 09:42:09 PM »

Dzimas and Harrie, Try this one (not necessarily together, of course)

http://www.chateaumarmont.com/

Anyway, I thought the Starship,Gracie Slick was apropo to the era but also glad that time is past.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #918 on: March 10, 2008, 09:43:49 PM »

This is what I actually came to drop off.
http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/

Rock Against Clapton
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #919 on: March 11, 2008, 04:16:32 AM »

Eastern Europe has become a bit of an Old Folks Home for aging pop stars who no longer have much star power back in Britain and the US.  People here still remember them for their glory years, listening to bootleg copies during the Soviet era.  Even if they sound a bit ragged as the Scorpions did the last time they were in Vilnius.  But probably the most interesting was a recent ELO concert, with only one remaining member of the original group.  It was fun, but a pale cousin to the old days.  The most amazing thing is that these groups sell out 15,000 seat auditoriums.

Meanwhile young Lithuanians are trying to create something new in the way of folk and rock, but aren't getting much play on television.  I hear about these groups mostly through our oldest daughter.  They've cut CD's and some of them are very good.  I set one to Charlie Gillet last year, but don't know if he ever played it.  They hark back to the 70s folk scene in Britain. 

Along the same vein, I picked up a CD of Hem,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFQrH9w8VM4

and the Hank Dogs recently.

ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #920 on: March 11, 2008, 09:02:15 PM »

Along the same vein, I picked up a CD of Hem,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFQrH9w8VM4

Sweet sound. Thanks for that.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #921 on: March 12, 2008, 12:15:15 PM »

Thought you would enjoy it, ponderosa.  Haven't been able to find much of the Hank Dogs off the 'Net.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #922 on: March 12, 2008, 12:18:39 PM »

Yeah, well, I am pretty much a skaredy kat. Shocked
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #923 on: March 12, 2008, 05:39:35 PM »

"I don't see a significant portion of our population given over to Satanism as a result of 'Don't Fear the Reaper.'"

STEP OFF, DUDE, we are out there, but it has less to do with Satan than you think, I'm just saying, don't start talking about shit you know nothing about.
sgrobin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #924 on: March 14, 2008, 11:47:59 AM »

Burnzy, catching any acts at SXSW? 
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #925 on: March 14, 2008, 01:13:04 PM »

Nah, it's too crowded. I don't go there anymore  Undecided (apologies to Yogi).

Will be going to see The Sadies tonite. It's outdoors, free, and no wristband/tix/handstamp/secret code required. Eliza Gilkyson and the Bodeans follow up the Canucks.

How you?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 01:16:28 PM by ponderosa » Logged
sgrobin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #926 on: March 14, 2008, 04:24:07 PM »

No complaints here.  Busy. 

Yeah, it does seem to be getting lots of recognition.  I first heard of it via stations like WXPN and KCRW; now BBC goes on about it.  I heard Van the Man put on a great show recently.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #927 on: March 14, 2008, 05:12:53 PM »

I spent a lot of time at SXSW events back in the day. It's become a monster. Ain't just nationwide anymore. It's global.

I've been listening to WXPN for a few months. I like it. Very similar to our KGSR.

I better start gettin' ready. Parking could be an issue. Laterz and tomaterz.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #928 on: March 15, 2008, 11:07:29 AM »

"Youneverknow." Joaquin Andujar

Not entirely enchanting nor ecclesiastically enthusing but an enjoyable evening nonetheless.

The Sadies were their usual rockin' billy spaghetti-westernly selves. Ms. Gilkyson a nice mellow interlude and the BoDeans a great finish. Met up with a friend halfway thru and I accompanied him and his brother down to see Billy Joe Shaver at another outdoor venue (coffee shop patio). Met up with some other old friends I hadn't seen in a while. Proceeded into the belly of the SXSW beast and paraded with the revelers. Wasn't permitted entrance to but stood within earshot of two thirds of the original Blue Cheer and cheered my favorite version of "Summertime Blues". Spent an hour or so people watchin' to wrap up the day. Nice.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 11:10:02 AM by ponderosa » Logged
bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #929 on: March 20, 2008, 02:35:27 AM »

I found my Rascals "Time Peace" The Rascals Greatest Hits today and put it on.I'm surprised how well almost all the songs hold up.The only one that gets me is "A Girl Like You' which sounds like a Partridge Family song."Groovin" is simply one of the best pop songs of all time.But there is a Kenny Rankin version that I have somewhere that is totally different and just as good.I can't recall the albums name but it was produced by Don Costa who did some Sinatra albums.I find the Turtles songs hold up well also but then some pop bands from that stripe and era like the Grassroots  and especially Paul Revere and the Raiders only hold up on some of their songs.Tommy James also holds up well.

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 68
  Print  

Jump to: