Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 20, 2018, 03:34:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 66
  Print  
Author Topic: Popular Music  (Read 11017 times)
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: May 30, 2007, 07:42:20 PM »

This is an interesting article on the Rolling Stones. It asks if Jagger is still capable of strutting around in concert like he used to. It wonders whether their next tour will be their last. It questions if they've been cast aside as new music trends have gained prominence.

And oh yeah; it's from 1981.

Too Funny...

i saw them at Candlestick Park in the early 80s.  George Thorogood & the Destroyers lead off.  J Giles Band was also there as the 2nd act.  I don't usually like large venues, but that was a fun day as I recall...
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: May 31, 2007, 12:10:27 AM »

Tattoo You was a pretty good album, not as good as Some Girls, but it wasn't a letdown.  As for comments on the Stones,  AARP had a cartoon of them racing around in wheel chairs some years back, still up to the same hijinks, which pretty much sums up the Stones as they reach retirement age, but they haven't put out anything new in years.
chauncey.g

« Reply #152 on: May 31, 2007, 10:57:14 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFFlCXS6RKs
sgrobin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: May 31, 2007, 10:58:24 AM »

Hey Burnzy, no worries - I thought that pun was pretty bad, and by that I mean good. I mean...

My first concert was the first Stones show of that tour, at JFK in 1981. George Thorougood (sp) and Journey opened. I also vaguely remember that station (which was WMMR, not MNR) playing the album, and WYSP (not WYST) recording it. After they did that, MMR would insert "A WMMR exlusive" in the middle of songs so that other stations couldn't do the same.

For what it's worth, that Stones show I saw was on September 25, 1981. I saw the Who (with the unfortunately named Hooters, Santana, and the Clash) at the same venue exactly a year later, on September 25, 1982.

Like the Stones a lot, but I'll stick with the Fabs - they went in, knocked out a bunch of great, innovative songs, and got out before the Seventies could impose its ill will on them.
chauncey.g

« Reply #154 on: May 31, 2007, 11:23:35 AM »

I like the stones, love the beatles, but live the kinks, baby...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP_egAh45aI
sgrobin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: May 31, 2007, 01:29:41 PM »

Does that mean you fight with your brother all the time?

Ken from the old forum was a fan, from what I remember; too bad he didn't migrate over here.
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: May 31, 2007, 01:36:56 PM »

Speaking of music from the era of the 60's let us not forget the king of the surf guitar: Dick Dale!!  Here is his classic: Miserlou:

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=miserlou&search=Search

From that you can take a trip down memory lane and see the video of the Ventures playing Walk Don't Run:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Wjzom-WNXE&mode=related&search=

Dammit it but it all seems so innocent now!!! Hard to believe that was the cold war era where we all thought we could be incinerated on 90 sec. notice!

On another and more important topic, I have agreed to do fundraising for the muscular dystrophy campaign. They even let me set up a special fund-raising website:  

https://www.mdaevent.org/ParticipantInfo.aspx?j=c039cb0d-f8fb-4ceb-a880-27d7c1b3b6f7

I encourage all to visit and make a generous donation. I am sure I do not need to tell how how horrible this disease is especially  as to children and the great work done by the MDA. Thank you in advance for your generosity.
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: May 31, 2007, 01:46:42 PM »

Hi, cincy-man.  I decided to join you here, among other refugees from the NYTimes forum.  thanks for alerting me.

Are there any Richard Thompson fans here?  Ditto Kasey Chambers fans?

I saw the mention of Hans Theessink's name and, thanks to cincy-man, can vouch that Theessink is great.

I've been fighting with my cable company to get Music Choice's Americana channel on their music stations.  It is really difficult to get new talents on the air that aren't rock, hip hop or teeny bopper music.  Cosi plays some great stuff: Kasey, Ry Cooder, John Prine, etc. but there is no mention of who's singing.   Sad

TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: May 31, 2007, 02:14:41 PM »

The Kinks were a fantastic band.    Muswell Hillbillies...can't beat it...
chauncey.g

« Reply #159 on: May 31, 2007, 02:19:10 PM »

Does that mean you fight with your brother all the time?

Ken from the old forum was a fan, from what I remember; too bad he didn't migrate over here.

(smile) No, my brothers and I just stay away from each other. Cuts down on the scrapping.

Speaking of scrapping... Ken may have been a Kinks fan but what I remember was him trying to convince me that The Beatles were greater. Or maybe he thought I believed The Kinks were greater. Or maybe we both just liked to argue too much (smile). Ken, if you're out there lurking, drop on in. I've mellowed.
chauncey.g

« Reply #160 on: May 31, 2007, 02:23:53 PM »

Howdy, lulu.

NYTimes refugee burnzred.
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: May 31, 2007, 02:29:21 PM »

Howdy back at you.  why the name change? 
chauncey.g

« Reply #162 on: May 31, 2007, 02:33:45 PM »

Howdy back at you.  why the name change? 

Oh, been through many changes of late. Too many and too personal to go into here, but thanks for asking.

Good to see more refugees popping in. Maybe this place will become more active.
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: May 31, 2007, 03:52:17 PM »

Great to see you here lulu....thanks for joining.

Kasey Chambers is indeed awesome. One of the worthies here also posted a video of Neko Case at her ACL performance, and I was lucky enough today to find a cd at the library of the same and am listening to it now. Awesome!!   Shocked

I need to do more Richard Thompson listening. If you want something really interesting and obscure see if you can find a recording of his collaboration with Philip Picket, The Bones of All Men:

http://www.amazon.com/Bones-Philip-Pickett-Richard-Thompson/dp/B000005Z1X/ref=sr_1_37/102-1836052-2131349?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1180641090&sr=1-37
chauncey.g

« Reply #164 on: June 01, 2007, 11:12:38 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOZ0eII2WVU&mode=related&search=
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 66
  Print  

Jump to: