Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 21, 2018, 05:37:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 69
  Print  
Author Topic: Popular Music  (Read 17399 times)
sgrobin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: June 01, 2007, 11:58:46 AM »

Or maybe we both just liked to argue too much (smile). Ken, if you're out there lurking, drop on in. I've mellowed.

Would also be good to see Ajab make a cameo.
chauncey.g

« Reply #166 on: June 01, 2007, 12:34:37 PM »

I tried to coax sammie, wedgie and fawlty on over but they're happy over at Golfoverflow. Maybe I'll drop the jabber an e-mail, but I believe he's content with spending his free time with family.
sgrobin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: June 01, 2007, 01:27:58 PM »

I haven't been to the Overflow in a while; I'll have to check in. Fawlty showed up here at the golf forum, but it seems to have been a one-time event. Can't blame Ajab for sticking with the family, but maybe he's also working on the Ron Paul campaign.

OK, music. Got nothing. Anybody have the new Wilco? I pushed this over in the NYT forums, but I am still spellbound by the collaboration by Ali Farka Toure and Toumani Diabate called In the Heart of the Moon. Just beautiful.
chauncey.g

« Reply #168 on: June 01, 2007, 01:42:53 PM »

I haven't been to the Overflow in a while; I'll have to check in. Fawlty showed up here at the golf forum, but it seems to have been a one-time event. Can't blame Ajab for sticking with the family, but maybe he's also working on the Ron Paul campaign.

OK, music. Got nothing. Anybody have the new Wilco? I pushed this over in the NYT forums, but I am still spellbound by the collaboration by Ali Farka Toure and Toumani Diabate called In the Heart of the Moon. Just beautiful.

Wedgie has become... uh, how should I say this? A bit more enigmatic than usual.

Heard the new Wilco on local radio but was on the road headed back from San Antone in my noisy pick-up. What I heard sounded great.
chauncey.g

« Reply #169 on: June 01, 2007, 09:59:47 PM »

es-gee

I believe I mentioned this scene many moons ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74MvcFBLJdY
chauncey.g

« Reply #170 on: June 01, 2007, 10:10:57 PM »

aw hell... may as well post the opening. cool acrylic guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeHZecjraGs
chauncey.g

« Reply #171 on: June 03, 2007, 01:22:15 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Fer1CR0IE&mode=related&search=
bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: June 04, 2007, 03:58:20 AM »

I am amused that so much attention was given to The Beatles Sgt. Peppers  last week on it's 40th anniv.All kinds of talk about it being a groundbreaking album etc.What a load of tripe.Sgt.Peppers was the Beatles response to"Pet Sounds" something Paul has said many times.Brian Wilson did in"Pet Sounds" what others copied for years.

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: June 04, 2007, 06:39:44 AM »

I don't know, Sgt. Pepper has had a tremendous influence over the years, so it is not surprising to see it getting the attention it gets 40 years later.  I suppose there were more influential albums, but Sgt. Pepper would be in just about everyone's Top Ten.  This coming from someone who has never been a great fan of The Beatles.  I'm much more excited about the soon to be released box set of The Traveling Wilburys:

http://www.amazon.com/Traveling-Wilburys-2CD-1DV-Deluxe/dp/B000OYC1J0/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-9042347-4177625?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1180953515&sr=1-2
sgrobin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: June 04, 2007, 02:05:40 PM »

Dzimas, I agree on the influence of Pepper. Granted, it was a response to Pet Sounds, but I think that the Beatles ratcheted the Pet Sounds concept up significantly.

I love Pepper, but if I had to choose a favorite album by the Fabs I'd probably choose Rubber Soul or Abbey Road. I'm fascinated by where Pepper stands in the Beatle chronology however; it came after another candidate for greatest album (Revolver) and possibly their best single (Strawberry Fields), and was succeeded by Mystery Tour, Lady Madonna, and Hey Jude. Plus, they recorded a few really good songs for the Yellow Submarine soundtrack. It's amazing how much great stuff they churned out in such a short span.

I had a tough weekend, musically. VH1 had a great cheesy show on soft rock, and I couldn't shake those songs until today. David Soul, Christopher Cross, Andrew Gold, Styx, etc. Great stuff (I write with tongue in cheek.)

Hey Burnzy, thanks for the clips.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: June 05, 2007, 05:11:14 AM »

Grobin, just too much of the late 70s and early 80s music on the air these days.  Gives me the shivers sometimes, thinking "Gawd, I really liked some of this music at the time."  But, I have been finding musicians I missed such as Steve Forbert,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtaO_oIQmBY&mode=related&search=

not sure when this home video was made, but it seems relatively recent.
sgrobin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: June 05, 2007, 10:48:35 AM »

Hi Dzimas, thanks for the link; I'll have to check it out at home. I remember Steve Forbert's hit from the early eighties (I guess) - that 'meet me in the middle of the day, let me hear you say...' song. He gets some airplay on AAA (adult album alternative) radio sometimes; I like what I've heard.
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: June 05, 2007, 02:04:16 PM »

cincy-man

While rummaging through my cds, in blues mode (after listening to Quasthoff and his amazing album) I put on Neko case and forgot just how good she is.  Now, if I can find her other cds.  Put on Judy and Bonnie and Mance and Theessink.

But I forgot all about Neko!  Something to be said about having a collection in total disarray.  I may not find what I'm looking for but I do find what I'm not looking for and get quite a surprise.  Like finding a new record.
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: June 05, 2007, 04:04:23 PM »

Lulu--I know so well what you describe about looking for one thing and finding also another that demands your attention. I have a large collection and many people cannot understand why. That is a huge reason. The old discs still sound new because its been so long since the last listen.

We both love Roderick...so many good songs. But there is one that is just so powerful..."Mistreated".

Glad you mentioned the blues because I was just listening to one of my very favorites on youtube, Doug MacLeod. There are a fair number of his songs on youtube so you can get a good idea of his songwriting, his singing and his slide playing on nat'l steel. This will get you started: 
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=doug+macleod&search=Search

What a great resource youtube can be!!
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: June 05, 2007, 04:36:43 PM »

Lulu:

Cashdollar is wonderful. Last I heard, she was with Asleep at the Wheel.

I was very lucky to hear Marcia Ball live last fall. She was part of an extensive line up over a 5 day festival and was by far the best live act of all.

Good news:  Mollie O'Brien has a new disc which you can buy at her site: www.mollieobrien.com

Of course you can call me by whatever name suits you. I will post this also on the pop music site.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 69
  Print  

Jump to: