Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 18, 2018, 04:22:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Opera  (Read 1473 times)
martinbeck3

VIVA EL CAMPO ARGENTINO

fun+and+lit
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 10:42:02 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONUCPKdGcrk

PAVAROTTI LIVES
rmdig

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2007, 10:29:32 AM »

martinbeck

Hello old friend.  I recently posted something in classical music about Osvaldo Golijov's opera Ainadamar.  Have you heard a recording of this?  I've been listening to it for a few days and am enjoying the experience.  Not your typical opera, at least not like any operas I'm familiar with.  More like an oratoria, or a Greek tragedy with chorus.

In case you don't know, Ainadamar is based on the death of Spanish poet Frederico Garcia Lorca.  Lorca's part in the opera is sung by a mezzo soprano (I didn't know Lorca was homosexual, not that I care which way a poet gets his kicks.)
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2007, 06:44:01 PM »

Well, I see the opera chat room is picking up.  I thought I was all by myself.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 06:53:24 PM »

rmdig,re:#16

Yes, but did you know that Dumbledore is? (Don't worry, this is a hypo-thetical.)

Take your pick; "It's all good."  Some laughs in here, mostly British.

http://norfolkblogger.blogspot.com/2007/10/dumbledore-is-gay.html

http://ricksincerethoughts.blogspot.com/2007/10/dumbledore-is-gay.html

http://revjph.blogspot.com/2007/10/madpriests-thought-for-day_20.htm

http://kinsi.wordpress.com/2007/10/19/breaking-dumbledores-gay/#comment-6299

http://12amusings.wordpress.com/2007/10/20/dumbledore/

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Entertainment/2007/10/20/jk_rowling_dumbledore_was_gay/7986/
rmdig

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 06:40:49 AM »

I'm afraid I wouldn't know Dumbledore from Dumbo although I've heard of Harry Pottter.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 11:41:03 AM »

Rmdig,

I can say this much, I've never read him.  My sister in law while visiting (she's a grandmother) was watching one of the Potter films, so I caught it with her but it remains to me as the kind of writing for children who have not delved sufficiently into the classics of children's literature where those ideas abound. 

Dumbledore is a kind of loveable Michael Gambon (who was also teacherly in, The Good Shepherd, as a teacher of poetry).
rmdig

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 10:41:21 AM »

madupont

I guess it's okay to stay off topic since no one seems to be posting on Opera.

Watched The Good Shepherd yesterday and, though it might have been a little longer than it needed to be, I enjoyed it.  Matt Damon, who I never think I am going to appreciate but usually do, did a fairly good job with a character whose closed-mouthedness was an occupational hazard.

I initially thought that the Michael Gambon character was Vladimir Nabokov but the time frame didn't seem right nor the university.

nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2007, 09:03:43 PM »

Recently the SF Opera simulcast a production of Samson and Delilah at the Giants ballpark, free for those willling/able.    I guess this kind of event was started by Houston Grand Opera, now done here by director who started same there.  Anyone been to one of these events and want to comment on what it's like?  (Can't help wondering what supertitles look like on the Jumbotron.)

Also, anyone interested in the Glass opera, Appomattox?  About this, I couldn't help but think of Thurber's essay "If Grant Had Been Drinking at Appomattox," naturally.  I really must broaden my frame of reference...
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2007, 07:53:03 PM »

Angry

I am furious with Comcast for removing the Opera channel from its music lineup.  I mean several devoted to Rock/Hip Hop/Alternative Rock/Adult Rock, several hispanic channels and a Songs of the Season channel.

I was devastated when they removed the American channel (for no reason); now they brought back Americana channel but dropped the Opera channel.  I've tried e-mailing, calling, to no avail.  Comcast does not see fit to answer or respond to consumers' complaints.

So now I joined up with Sirius and it's opera broadcast but it's not the Opera channel.  I only have Met broadcasts, current and archival.

I'm still figuring out to navigate YouTube to get opera singers, known and unknown. 
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2007, 12:26:46 AM »

That's really weird that they would drop Opera.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2007, 08:11:29 PM »

If you want to start a letter writing campaign -- I'm in...
rmdig

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 04:17:27 PM »

I am listening to a lot of Anna Netrebko these days.  Any other fans out there?
peloux

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 12:41:21 PM »

Angry

I am furious with Comcast for removing the Opera channel from its music lineup. 

Cox Cable in San Diego did the same thing and at about the same time. Effective Sept 18, no more Opera Channel. At first I thought that it was Music Choice, the distributor who had discontinued the channel, but later found out that it was Cox. I emailed them and received a couple of personalized responses but since have received only form letters. I wrote a nice but fairly passionate letter to the Director of the San Diego Opera Company but did not get a response. The Opera Channel is a dream come true for any opera fan and it blows me away that they would toss it aside, especially when they carry 5 Rhythm and Blues channels, 5 Spanish language music channels, several rock channels, and 2 Rap channels, and many others, about 45 an all. Are we supposed to believe that Cox Cable can't afford to carry the Opera Channel when they probably get a group price for the whole package?

Below is an email address for Cox Cable. I don't think it matters that you might not live in San Diego. The larger point is at issue. These Philistines at Cox need to hear from us.

Lulu, if you provide me with an email address for Comcast, I would be happy to write to them. I have friends who will write as well.

[email protected]

````

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »

Peloux,

Are you referring to the fact of having been able to hear the full opera performance as we did on radio when I was a kid, the Longine Hour or something of the kind each weekend?  Never missed listening; probably because my mother took me to the opera early in my life.

If you meant the programs on tv channels that present a variety of arias that is a different kind of program and even so I could not comprehend why a distributor would choose to eliminate any operatic program from their scheduling  and that still alarms me. 
peloux

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2007, 12:39:25 AM »

Madupont

This is TV not radio but there is nothing visual, per se. The Opera Channel plays complete operas while the artists' names are displayed on the screen. When an opera is over, anthologized songs and arias are played until the next hour at which time a new opera begins. This continues 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. No advertising. There is also a Classical Music Channel and a Light Classics Channel (which they have retained.) These music channels alone are worth the cost of the cable service (to me). Also, the music is transmitted digitally, so it is at or near CD quality.

It's curious that this would happen to two major cable companies and at approximately the same time. Maybe something's going on. If so, they might at least tell us.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: