Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 21, 2018, 11:49:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Classical Music  (Read 1621 times)
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2007, 02:18:49 PM »

jacobs:

There are so many pieces of music used by one composer taken from another.

Most people assume Ave Maria (one of them, anyway) was written by Gounod when it really is Bach/Gounod.  Many times the revising composer gives credit to the original composer.  Sometimes not.

Many times, like Rossini, the composer steals from himself (thereby escaping the charge of plagarism); however, using the same overture three times is a bit much, even if the composer used his own music.  [g] 

And sometimes music gets into one's head and you don't know where it came from; if you use that theme it really doesn't mean you intentionally stole it.

Folk singers have been copyrighting songs that are in the public domain for eons.  Some might change a word or two to justify it but others don't.  They are collecting royalties for something they didn't write.

didn't Tom Lehrer write something about "plagarism, plagarism" or something like that?  (Where is Lehrer when we need him today, by the way?)
karlhenning

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2007, 08:30:22 AM »

There are so many different things being conflated here, we'll need a winch to sort through it all :-)  Bach rescoring a Vivaldi concerto, is "equivalent" to musical piracy?

Puh-lease.
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2007, 10:34:17 AM »

Karl:

Try to decipher the score to Boris Godonov.  It's enough to make your head spin.  Moussorgsky. Rimsky-Korsakov and God knows who else.  Maybe even Berlioz. 

And Alfano with the ending to Turandot.
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2007, 06:31:58 PM »

The wonderful Mr. Lehrer is still here (or his songs are), the one referred to is about mathematician Lobachevsky (complete with footnotes):

http://members.aol.com/quentncree/lehrer/lobachev.htm

lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2007, 09:36:05 PM »

I know the one about Lobachevsky.  Was that about plagarism also?

I sure do miss him today.
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2007, 07:38:54 PM »

Yes, they're the same song.  Clicking on the link brings up lyrics and spoken parts as performed on one of his albums (and the footnotes give more info re song & subject).
karlhenning

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2007, 11:36:08 AM »

I could listen to nothing but the Hindemith Kammermusiken for a week straight, I think.

Cheers,
~Karl
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2007, 08:36:04 AM »

He may be gone, but he will long live on in our hearts:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4191866a10.html

Long live Pavarotti!

''Love much & be forgiven''

- - - Margaret Fuller
martinbeck3

VIVA EL CAMPO ARGENTINO

fun+and+lit
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2007, 10:40:08 AM »

PAVAROTTI WILL NEVER DIE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONUCPKdGcrk

as long as there are people who can still cry with his song
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2007, 10:01:33 AM »

lhoffman,

While busy with the "Fall Cleaning",at least before the exterior-wall
washers spray my gardens with something definitely not good for flowers and herbs--I did remember who you and I were discussing in regard to your therapeutic exercises. If not for the great age of the musician who retired from teaching in the late 1990s, after his 88th birthday, which means the memory for past occasions may have decreased but then again may not have, for with some it sharpens, you would still have no difficulty  checking the university of Wisconsin for the visiting artists who were teaching during summer-session in the early 1960s.

This was when I met Leon Kirchner and  his wife and son, when Kenneth Rexroth managed to get the university to acquiesce on the housing arrangement. Kirchner was a very well known composer by that time and I don't imagine that Rexroth thought it appropriate for somebody in an office on campus to have shunted those who would teach that summer-- into dormitories built at the time of the G.I.Bill.   As a result, we met at the former Governor's mansion, or "summer home",off Lake Drive, above Lake Michigan,where at least three of the four artists in residence, for the summer, shared the house.

Although Kirchner was born in Brooklyn, he studied "Modern music" at the Univ. of Calif. with Arnold Schoenberg and Ernst Bloch, later teaching at Berkeley in a period of time during which Rexroth lived in San Francisco from shortly after Kirchner's birth until the beginning of the 1970s when Rexroth joined the faculty at Santa Barbara. Thus they were aware of each other and had mutual friends in the same milieu.

Leon Kirchner would have been in his forties when Kenneth introduced us. (after that, I remade Rexroth's housing arrangements when ever UWM booked him into a hotel that wasn't to his liking, if necessary disguising the location when UW was not discreet about not giving out that information)

Although it is a shame to see the physical alterations of aging that take place after more than forty years,it is Leon Kirchner's music that makes him an immortal.
http://www.schirmer.com/default.aspx?TabId=2496&State_3054=1&composerId_3054=834#

http://www.schirmer.com/DesktopModulesCustom/Soundclips/SoundclipPlayer.aspx?workId=29655

http://www.schirmer.com/default.aspx?TabId=2419&State_2872=2&ComposerId_2872=834

http://music.aol.com/artist/leon-kirchner/437465/main?flv=1&ncid=DaObegHZjV0000000344&icid=rbox_musicians.M

rmdig

« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2007, 02:21:08 PM »

I have been listening to Golijov's opera, Ainadamar.  Now I want to see it in performance.  Has anyone here attended a performance.  Karl?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2007, 10:19:06 AM »

Marcus Raskin, along with Bernard Fall, was the co-editor of the Viet Nam reader...an amazing book for its time.

Okay,cincy--man, now I need advice.  I had an e-mail a couple of days ago from one of the usual political movements/groups that ask those of us on their list to lend support. To my surprise, and just as you mentioned, the above pianist is also still "authoring" and will be receiving an honor for it at an event in Washington,D.C. held by said group. Should I send a note of congratulations from his former piano-practicing neighbor whom he used to walk to school five days per week?
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2007, 02:52:56 PM »

madu....easy question of the month....YESSS!!!!!!!!
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2007, 05:38:09 PM »

Thanks! I needed that.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2007, 04:39:19 PM »

elportenoi1